I'm not trying to be mean but I have noticed that older people with Blackberrys give me a hard time when I mention I am 17 with a blackberry. I know that most people on this site are middle aged men who try to tap into technology they didn't have when they were my age. All I'm asking us that people be more nice to me on this site.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-11-08 11:06 AM
    I'm sorry you feel that way. Some members are tough on newbies, I will admit. But looking back at many of your post, it's due to two things. First most of your questions can be easily answered by searching the forums. They've been asked and answered many times. Or a simple Google search. We are willing to help, but not do it FOR you. And second is simply attitude, NOT age.
    Last edited by pltaylor; 09-11-08 at 11:25 AM.
    09-11-08 11:20 AM
    I'm somewhat new to this site as well and I've found the people to be very nice. I don't think it's your age that's bringing about the negative energy, I think it's your delivery (ie: "I know that most people on this site are middle aged men who try to tap into technology they didn't have when they were my age"). Try a friendlier approach.
    09-11-08 11:27 AM
    Some people get jealous or take on a parental tone when someone young has something nice (this will be twice as bad if your folks are paying for it). I can see one side of because it seems parents these days just can't say no to their kids. Just keep going and don't live up to the stereotype of your age group. If you're not being a punk kid then who cares what the others think? Sometimes you gotta convince people by what you do and not what you say.

09-11-08 11:29 AM
    just watch the making the generalizations or assumptions about who/what people are. Do you like hearing "most 17 year-olds are..." ?
    09-11-08 11:37 AM
    Adonis it has nothing to do with your age, which up until now
    i did not know, but more to do with your personal carriage.

I think you get a hard time because you are impatient and
    something of a "drama queen". There are times when you come
    off as if your problem is the single most important one in the
    world and all of CrackBerry should drop everything to assist
    you.

But I have never seen anyone not be nice to you, regardless of
    age or gender (which again you have no idea what you are talking about).

Good natured ribbing is not the same as being mean. I guess
    there is a certain level of maturity needed to realize that.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 09-11-08 at 11:48 AM.
    09-11-08 11:42 AM
    I agree, they are just healous because they didn�t had any access to this technology when they had 17...

Don�t worry, there are nice people in this site too.
    09-11-08 11:42 AM
    I'm not trying to be mean but I have noticed that older people with Blackberrys give me a hard time when I mention I am 17 with a blackberry. I know that most people on this site are middle aged men who try to tap into technology they didn't have when they were my age. All I'm asking us that people be more nice to me on this site.
    We were certainly not dissing you for your age, merely your attitude that you are somehow entitled to something that someone else worked very hard to produce and is expecting payment for.
    09-11-08 11:48 AM

I agree, they are just healous because they didn�t had any access to this technology when they had 17...

Don�t worry, there are nice people in this site too.
    Yeah, *that* is going to help you win friends and influence people

And for your information...Yes, I'm old enough to be your father, and you know that "technology" you're talking about? I watched it being developed while I grew up. I played with a Commador 64 when it was considered state of the art. My sixth grade teacher was the envy of all his students because he had an Apple IIe, while all my family could afford was a Texas Instruments TI-99. Of course, the TI had better games so that made it pretty cool .

In the 25 years since I've watched as technology - in all it's wonderful forms - has developed into what we have today. And it isn't confusing or astonishing because, like most other people, I've had my hands in it throughout the entire time. As for the people older than me - people like my father's generation? The were CREATING it! They know as much, if not more, about it than I do.

So, no, I'm not trying to "tap into" the technology, because I've always had it. And I'm not jealous of you for having it either. Frankly I could care less that you have a blackberry, or whether or not your parents pay for it.

But I do find your the tone of your messages to be offensive. I do find your lack of ethics disturbing. And I have to say that the "me first and me only" attitude that you - and so many other kids your age - seem to possess is going to cause you a lot more harm than good later on.
    09-11-08 12:43 PM
    Let's nail down the chain of events:
    You start a thread asking redundant questions and making illegal requests. Your demeanor was Arrogant, Ignorant and Insulting.

You got roasted for it and your thread got locked.

Apparently your cognitive dissonance can't handle your ... so you start a whinethread. ZOMG the bad old men on the interwebz are being mean to me 'cause they jealous of my l33tn3ss.

you are a typical internet troll, your kind are a dime a dozen.

the levels of experience that us old meanies have make you look like a complete n00b.

To avoid being pwnt in the future, you might want to try being a little more tactful and avoid coming off as a spoiled teenager with entitlement issues.

/thread
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 09-11-08 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Language. Keep it clean.
    09-11-08 01:26 PM
    Well said, Sarcasm Detector and kyriefurro!
    09-11-08 01:32 PM
    You will do well do listen to what guys like AG have to say. Otherwise welcome and don't try the attitude around here.
    09-11-08 01:35 PM
    Seems as if everyone has already taken care of this one *sigh* (thank God)

09-11-08 01:35 PM
    Well said, Sarcasm Detector and kyriefurro!
    I power my BB with the tears of whiney forum trolls :evil:

09-11-08 03:14 PM

You are passive aggressive.
    Anyone with any life experience can pick up on this.
    On the forums you get attitude right back at ya.
    In real life you get your teeth knocked out.

Get it right or keep gettin attitude...

=]
    Dm
    09-11-08 03:21 PM
    Dang whippersnappers. When I was 17, I had a TI calculator that might have done some trig functions, learned BASIC in school using a dial up connection with an acoustical phone modem at a whopping 150 baud (broad band is 80,000 times faster and effective USB 2.0 speeds are 250,000+ times faster), no cable TV, no walkmans or portable stereo radios, you still had to buy your phone from Ma Bell, and of course no such thing as a cell phone or PDA. We actually had to interact with people face to face.

So much for the trip down memory lane. I doubt anyone is being mean to you. Anyone who really is is just being a ****. More likely they are imparting a little wisdow they hope you will pick up in the future. And I can assure you that us middle aged techno geek men are not giving you a hard time, because you have cool personal electronics that only existed on Star Trek when we were your age.

My advice is that in addition to surfing the site for help and information, you take the time to make contributions that will help others.
    09-11-08 03:44 PM
    there are too many middle aged men who are snobs just because they own a blackberry. I notice this snobbiniess on the street too. these men act like hollywood celebrities, George Clooney.

it is time for people to come down to earth.
    09-11-08 03:48 PM
    Dang whippersnappers. When I was 17, I had a TI calculator that might have done some trig functions, learned BASIC in school using a dial up connection with an acoustical phone modem at a whopping 150 baud (broad band is 80,000 times faster and effective USB 2.0 speeds are 250,000+ times faster), no cable TV, no walkmans or portable stereo radios, you still had to buy your phone from Ma Bell, and of course no such thing as a cell phone or PDA. We actually had to interact with people face to face.
    If you were learning BASIC and had an actual modem then both cable and Walkmans existed. Of course the cable company only offered 20 channels and your Walkman cost $80 and it only came with an FM radio and a casset player. It was also the size of a small car, but they *did* exist
    09-11-08 04:12 PM
    back when i was a kid, cars didn't even exist...tee hee
    09-11-08 04:18 PM
    Yeah, *that* is going to help you win friends and influence people

And for your information...Yes, I'm old enough to be your father, and you know that "technology" you're talking about? I watched it being developed while I grew up. I played with a Commador 64 when it was considered state of the art. My sixth grade teacher was the envy of all his students because he had an Apple IIe, while all my family could afford was a Texas Instruments TI-99. Of course, the TI had better games so that made it pretty cool .

In the 25 years since I've watched as technology - in all it's wonderful forms - has developed into what we have today. And it isn't confusing or astonishing because, like most other people, I've had my hands in it throughout the entire time. As for the people older than me - people like my father's generation? The were CREATING it! They know as much, if not more, about it than I do.

So, no, I'm not trying to "tap into" the technology, because I've always had it. And I'm not jealous of you for having it either. Frankly I could care less that you have a blackberry, or whether or not your parents pay for it.

But I do find your the tone of your messages to be offensive. I do find your lack of ethics disturbing. And I have to say that the "me first and me only" attitude that you - and so many other kids your age - seem to possess is going to cause you a lot more harm than good later on.
    Hit target dead on! Time for a martini !

09-11-08 04:23 PM
    Ha ha wow! I'm just sitting back in the audience with my popcorn on this one.

I will say though that I find it unnecessary for anyone under 18 to have a Blackberry. And I'm 25 yrs old and just got my first BB 2 weeks ago! However I will agree with the older folks on this. I got my first cell phone when I was 16 but my parents encouraged it and it was strictly used for communication with my parents since I was active in the HS band and other after school stuff so it made things very convenient. AND I paid for it through PT jobs.

09-11-08 04:41 PM
    How could you even feel resentment? All these "middle aged men" do is try to help everyone out. I am on here all the time trying to learn more about blackberries. I have never had anyone be rude or seem rude, unless someone like you was rude to them.
    Im on 19 years old and I can say I love my berry. I have a berry because im going to school and want to get a career dealing with berries. If it wasnt for the people on this site I wouldnt know most the things I know about my berry.

Well now that ive got that off my back..Have a nice day!
    09-11-08 04:42 PM
    ::Grabs a big bucket of popcorn...poors an ice cold beer... and sits back on this one simply to enjoy the thread as it gets better and better::

Oh ya and " Leave Brit..wait..I mean LEAVE AdonisRouse ALONE!!"
    Last edited by RealEstatePro; 09-11-08 at 05:25 PM.
    09-11-08 05:21 PM
    If you were learning BASIC and had an actual modem then both cable and Walkmans existed. Of course the cable company only offered 20 channels and your Walkman cost $80 and it only came with an FM radio and a casset player. It was also the size of a small car, but they *did* exist
    Wow, that brings back memories!!!
    09-11-08 05:22 PM
    there are too many middle aged men who are snobs just because they own a blackberry. I notice this snobbiniess on the street too. these men act like hollywood celebrities, George Clooney.

it is time for people to come down to earth.
    LOL, good one
    09-11-08 05:23 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD