Is there such a thing as a way to remotely disable a BB (Curve in my case)? So, for instance, if I didn't have a password enabled, then lost my phone--is there a way to send a signal to the phone to erase data/lock itself? Any 3rd party option for this?

I understand the cell phone company can cancel the SIM, but I'm concerned about the PDA data etc.

I'm asking b/c having a password that kicks in frequently is tedious when you're using the BB throughout the day.

Or is the password the only way to secure my data?

Thanks.
    01-27-08 06:08 PM
    You know, I was wondering the same thing. When I was using a Palm Treo (palm os) several years ago, I had program on mine that would lock the phone when it received a sms message with a certain code. It did give me peace of mine knowing I could lock it remotely if it got stolen or lost. Maybe somebody on here knows of a similar program for the BB.

:-)
    01-27-08 08:41 PM
    Bronson--Do you happen to remember the name of the program that you used for Treo? I ask on the chance that the same company has a similar BB product.
    01-27-08 11:19 PM
    The password is the only way to secure it... and pretty darn secure it is.

I have not heard of a remote wipe program for BIS devices. That is totally possible on BES.
    01-27-08 11:22 PM
    BES had two options, one to disable and wipe, and the other to lock it remotely.
    01-27-08 11:28 PM
    Thanks for the replies.

Those of us with 1 person accts w/ our cell company are BIS, correct? Can BIS folks simply switch to BES while staying w/ our cell company?

Or if BES is only for large companies, is there a BES company who will rent you a space in their system?

Thanks for the info.
    01-28-08 12:23 AM
    The name of the program I used on the Treo was Remote Lock for Treo by Software Trenches. It was free and still offered on the MyTreo.net site.
    01-28-08 08:28 PM
    Thanks for the replies.

Those of us with 1 person accts w/ our cell company are BIS, correct? Can BIS folks simply switch to BES while staying w/ our cell company?

Or if BES is only for large companies, is there a BES company who will rent you a space in their system?

Thanks for the info.

The BES is normally set up in a corporate environment. The company will have it set up on an Exchange server so there is better security for the email. The BIS is offered through your carrier, while being secure, isn't as secure at the BES, because the BES only serves a small direct group, while BIS serves anyone on your Carrier with a BlackBerry plan.

If you look at the Blackberry 101 Lecture series, there is one lesson that explains the differences between the two.
    01-28-08 09:21 PM
    I just read the 101 Lecture. Very helpful.

Also, I emailed Software Trenches to see if they know of any BB remote disable option like their Treo option. A longshot, I realize. I'll post if they do indeed have a lead.

Thanks for the info.
    01-29-08 10:56 PM
    I know I read a review of sometihng like this somewhere recently. I think it was this RobLock program. Some information here: Download Roblock for Blackberry 1.1 for Blackberry Free Trial - Softpedia (Sells for $9.95 apparently.)

OTA install of the 3-day trial version here: www.dexmobile.com/roblockbb.jad

I'm not sure it's right, because the manual on dexmobile doesn't mention most of this, but softpedia says: Here are some key features of "Roblock for Blackberry":

� SMS notification on SIM Change to predefined number
    � Recover contacts from lost phone
    � Remote WIPE memory card
    � Delete contacts, sms, email, photos and videos on the lost device
    � Uninstall Protection
    � Auto Hides on unauthorized SIM insertion
    � Complete Stealth operations
    � Unlimited SIM card support
    � Does not affect mobile performance in normal operation
    � Tiny installation footprint
    � Easy Configuration
    � Password Protected Settings

Another program, "Find My Berry" could also be useful if your BlackBerry is lost but not stolen: Find My Berry: Retrieve your lost BlackBerry by just sending an email
    01-30-08 12:13 AM
    Thanks for the info everyone.

neilwick: Based on the product description, Roblock sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. It looks fairly new though--and I couldn't find any reviews or user reviews. If anyone has hands-on with it, pls let us know if it works.

Bronson: I emailed Software Trenches. The email bounced.
    02-09-08 05:45 PM
    From what I've found, it looks like the BlackBerry version of Roblock has only been out about 2 weeks. I will give it a try when I can, but I up to my ears in deadline work at the moment.
    02-09-08 11:32 PM
    So the article below lumps Roblock in with other "Anti-Theft" software. If I'm reading it correctly, however, Roblock is the only one of these that can remotely wipe data (the others may help you find your phone/get the info of the next SIM installed).

"In the software Anti-Theft area we already have FindIt, PhoneBAK, and a couple other GPS trackers such as Berry Locator."

[I tried to paste the URL, but I'm not yet allowed to do so as a newbie here. The article is on berryreview.com. Google w/ the above phrase.]

If anyone here has hands-on experience w/ any of these, I'd really like to hear opinions. Again, my goal is to remotely wipe my personal data.

Thanks.
    02-22-08 09:46 PM
    A user posted a fairly thorough review of Roblock on blackberryforums . Sounds like the remote wipe works.

Google roblock blackberry review to find it. (Sorry, I'm not allowed to post URLs here yet.)
    03-30-08 07:28 PM
    I'm not too sure on this, but I believe you can call our ANS department and they may have a tool for you to wipe the handheld.
    03-30-08 08:04 PM
    Does anyone know if the RobLock works on Verizon Blackberry Curve 8330?
    07-21-08 06:34 PM
    I've had this loaded on my Curve for about three weeks or so and it's awesome! I had Find It, but this upgraded version is much better.

Convenience Software
    07-21-08 07:26 PM
    Hey,

I am a newbie to this forum......Just wanted to contribute with this piece of info..Came across this site "www.yougetitback.com"

Haven't downloaded it yet to check it out....But will do soon.

In case anyone does end up using the one month free trial, please provide the feedback
    09-03-08 05:40 AM
    I installed Roblock and sent the lock command text to my phone. It successfully locked the phone and sounded an alarm. I couldn't, however, get it to unlock via text command. I was successful in getting it to unlock by logging in to their site and sending the command that way. So I don't know where the problem was for me exactly (I tried the text unlock several times, inc many tiny variations in case I was off on the spacing of the command). Anyway, it may be entirely my fault that I couldn't unlock via text, but I lost confidence in it so I uninstalled the program.
    09-21-08 06:33 PM
    I can't get it to lock. The test messages go through but still it doesn't seem that I have remote command. What am I forgetting
    09-24-08 08:04 AM
    try web version. dexmobile.com/login
    09-24-08 11:56 AM
    O.K. so it locked via web version but I still can't get it by SMS
    10-07-08 02:33 PM
    I've had this loaded on my Curve for about three weeks or so and it's awesome! I had Find It, but this upgraded version is much better.

Convenience Software

This seemed like a winner. I just purchased it and am waiting for the OTA email to be sent to start testing it out. Will let everyone know how it goes.

I was going to try Roblock but it seemed kind of sketchy after reading some reviews.
    10-07-08 02:54 PM
    I've tried the trials of both getitback and Roblock and neither has worked on my phone (Roblock might have but I couldn't try it out without a product key!)
    10-07-08 09:00 PM
    I don't think any of these work or work to what they should, because of lack of GPS......

Blah....

Wish I can try cool toys...

Just my .02
    10-07-08 09:28 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD