I have never ranted on here before, normally just here to learn and ask questions. But before the launch everything seemed to be looking good for RIM, BB10 was getting solid pre-reviews, the stock was going up and in general people were starting to believe. After launch, BlackBerry is now getting torn apart. And can someone tell me a good reason why? Because I'm not going to be able to take a photo of my dinner when I get my Z10 in a Sepia tone and show it to all my instagram followers? Or because the phone was given to a first time user with no prior knowledge of how the OS worked and without any sort of instruction was supposed to use it and couldn't figure it out?
    Or am maybe I am just to far behind in the smart phone game that this phone is still nowhere close to competition because I have been using a 9800, 9700 and 8800 for the past 5 years? I am just looking for some help, some sort of explanation on why BlackBerry hasn't seem to have been to well received. Does anyone have any idea's, thoughts on this, without biased opinions?
    01-31-13 09:52 PM
    no....

01-31-13 09:54 PM
    Well I am not sure everything has turned around. Mainstream media remains generally positive. The New York Times, the Today Show, the Globe and Mail Review all were strongly positive today. Sure some tech posts have been critical but there may be strong biases and possibly other (ad revenue?) considerations. And there are some valid points have been made for sure. But there are a couple of other elements at play that strike me as bizarre.

1. How many other consumer products seem to be considered successes or failures based on stock prices rather than sales? It is OUTRAGEOUS! Wall Street traders rather than consumers deciding on a product before it is even put on the market for sale? It makes me sick and it's been this way and part of the media for a long time. Shorts, speculation, profit taking. What BS.

2. Why do consumers care what the stock market does? Making they purchases based on the Dow or NASDAQ. It seems that is the inference in some of the reporting and certainly the emotional state of some people in this forum. I mean who cares if shares go up one day and down the next, unless you have that stock. For the rest of us, should it affect our emotional state? I don't think so but it is obviously having that effect. Who is fooling who?
    01-31-13 10:18 PM
    Because there are companies out there that have consistently delivered products with things consumers want and rimm hasn't. It's really that simple.
    trsbbs and rnhld like this.
    01-31-13 10:22 PM
    personally I expected things to go this way (although I did not expect the wide spread positive coverage before launch). Presentation was definitely weak (should have played some of the videos that show more features), US launch in March was also not well received.

My expectation was because they are Introducing a new platform, people do not like change (see how each version of windows starts off with lot of resistance), for people that liked BBOS they will complain (like people complaining about no BIS in reviews, even though BB10 now suffers with same issues as Android/iPhone for pop email delivery/security etc), people will compare to Android/iPhone and point out missing features/apps (while dismissing any new features present in BB10 not present in Android/iPhone since those features have not proved their value yet). Personally, I wish press/reviewers compare it more to Windows Phone 8, since that is the closest rival at the moment (in terms of market share and platform maturity). Thor/BB have already stated that they want to be a viable 3rd option, they are not expecting BB10 to become #1 all of a sudden, without solidifying itself as #3, then taking over #2 (overtime if at all?) and then taking over #1 (overtime if at all?), so I feel comparisons with Windows Phone 8 are more justified.
    01-31-13 10:37 PM
    There are consumers that want Blackberry devices. I am one of them. But we are the minority... that's the problem.

The press, especially American, seems to have a vendetta against Blackberry, and will support their own companies like Google and Apple before anyone else. Granted, RIM has not made it hard for them to be critical, but the bias and criticism seem unrelenting.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    lynxs_claw likes this.
    01-31-13 10:38 PM
    It was the same with apple. iPhone 5 got torn apart by the whole world, and yet it's selling like crazy, so no sweats my friend.
    Masahiro likes this.
    01-31-13 10:46 PM
    Who cares what the media thinks. They should have nothing to do with your personal preferences.
    01-31-13 10:49 PM
    Brandonwh, where do you live? Because if you live in the United States, I could see how you think the press isn't going well for BlackBerry. In the United States, BlackBerry is getting "torn apart" after the launch because it isn't being launched in the country where it needs to make its presence known again: the United States. I read that that is what "scared investors" and led the stock to tumble.

There were also some big name apps that are missing, that are seen by many as being MUST HAVE, those apps being Pandora, Netflix, Instagram, Temple Run, Spotify, Hulu. There are even some that are on current BlackBerrys that are not yet on BlackBerry 10.

Personally, I don't particularly want Netflix, Instagram, or Temple Run on my PHONE. I don't use apps like that on my 9900--that's what I have an iPod touch, PlayBook, and Mac Book for. I'm never in any place where I'm like, "Hmm, I'm bored and really want to watch a MOVIE on my CELL PHONE." But to have Instagram be absent is, at this point, like launching a phone that doesn't have Facebook or Twitter. I have an Instagram account, I post like once every 6 weeks, and could really do without it. But I'm the minority, and most people my age (early 20s) eat that sh!t up and post a bunch of nonsense multiple times per day. Netflix is another big omission, and while I am fine with that because I have a computer and an iPod touch, Netflix is here to stay--and so are the people who want to watch full length feature films on their cellphones.

So really, it's just the lack of a few major apps that people are used to having, and the fact that BlackBerry 10 isn't available in the United States. But, by the time BlackBerry 10 IS available here in the U.S., a lot of those major apps could very well make their way into BlackBerry World.
    01-31-13 11:00 PM
    Because there are companies out there that have consistently delivered products with things consumers want and rimm hasn't. It's really that simple.
    The new BB10 platform is exactly what I want.
    alan510 likes this.
    01-31-13 11:00 PM
    There's no reason. Especially since they were going over the same things in the leaks as there reviews. Who cares though. vast majority of the public don't read tech blogs or watch a stock price.

I'm buying one. Even know it's far from perfect. Because there's nothing else out there that's perfect either. Yet...
    02-01-13 01:19 AM
    My take on why some media has decidedly turned negative towards BB is a direct result of the keynote address. From the very beginning, including the haircut incident, the presentation was seen as amateurish, lackluster, boring, and quite frankly hobbled together at the very last minute without any clear direction or focus. There was no excitement. The applause, when it occurred seemed forced, and Thorsten, no matter how good he is at his job, seemed bored, tired, and exhausted. In parts, he came across as if he couldn't wait to get off the stage. Combine that with barely showing anything regarding the phone along with a very bizarre way to announce launch dates around the world, the keynote was a disaster.

The media turned.

But what is interesting though, is that for those people that get personal demos of features, saw the phone in action for real, and got a chance for more one on one action with the phone, they were decidedly more positive regarding the products. Even today, as an example, the globe and mail has a positive story about gaming on BB10.

I think the lesson here is that the more personal meet and greet and demo that BB can do, the more supportive the media will become. Keynote address should be banned as they just are not working.
    02-01-13 09:41 AM
    Mainstream press has been generally positive. Someone above referenced NYT and a few other places where the reviews were good. In terms of tech sites like engadget, etc, not too worried as most of these sites are not viewed by the masses.

In terms of US March launch, I think it is a blessing in disguise. RIM has an opportunity to get a jump on implementing some fixes for the things they have been criticized for. Maybe by the time March rolls around we'll have an Android instagram port, as well as fixes for some of the minor SW niggles discovered. If anything, the stock going down on the US launch news has created a buying opportunity if you really believe BB10 will be a hit.
    02-01-13 10:33 AM