I'm a rookie BlackBerry user with an 8900.

Last night I went out with some friends. Had a nice time out came home and completely passed out. This morning I reach for my phone and see the key lock still in place. I press the button to unlock it. It tells me to enter my password. I do. I try every password I can think of, after the 8th one, I'm out of luck. It tells me its about to wipe my phone. No big deal... I have a back up and I just want my phone to work.
    It wipes whatever info it was going to wipe. I turn my phone back on. A screen "Reload Software" appears. I connect it to my computer.
    Nothing happens

How do I reload the software if my phone isn't even connecting to my computer or showing up as a drive?
    04-30-09 10:15 AM
    Reloading the software is a process that requires downloading and installing two software packages from Research in Motion.

You will need both BlackBerry Desktop Software and BlackBerry Device OS software, specific to your model.

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...93E4F3BB068C22

BlackBerry - BlackBerry Desktop and Device Software Download Sites

Once these are installed, connect your BlackBerry, enter the correct password, and proceed with the restore.

If you can not enter the password, there is no way to determine if you forgot it or are not authorized to use the device. There is no work around, BlackBerry takes device security very seriously.
    04-30-09 10:31 AM

Thanks.
    Could you be a bit more specific?
    04-30-09 10:33 AM
    Well, whatever the problem was, after re-installing the OS [and freaking out plenty when I thought I did something wrong] the problem resolved itself...
    Sure, repeat the procedure you used last month.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...ckberry-32322/
    04-30-09 10:35 AM
    Last month's problem was so much easier to resolve. My computer still recognized my BlackBerry and such.

Thank you so much.

How do I know a "forced rebuild" has started after I've gone through the entire Command prompt process?
    And how will I know when its done?

[EDIT]
    Nevermind.
    I hadn't installed the OS to begin with.
    Last edited by drblah; 04-30-09 at 11:28 AM.
    04-30-09 11:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD