Ok, I'm a total newbie. What I'm wondering is this: why can't I use the $5.99 internet plan instead of a BB/smartphone data plan? I don't want/need/use direct push, I just want pop. Yahoo, gmail, on a browser. I've heard that the bb apps won't work without the bb plan; you have to download third-party software: opera, etc. But it would be a savings of about $160 a year. Does anyone have any insight into this? Sorry if this has already been covered – I searched the posts and found nothing. I used to crack WAP on my old phone, then my last company was paying for my smartphone. Now I'm starting with my new Curve 8320 and T-mobile, and it's coming out of my pocket.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Last edited by thefutureisnow; 04-15-08 at 09:44 PM.
    04-15-08 09:42 PM
    Because third party apps that connect to the internet won't work using that plan.
    04-15-08 09:45 PM
    You can do it. It just is a pain, most of the software that comes on it won't work without a BB plan, but if you don't want them, don't get the BB plan.
    04-15-08 09:46 PM
    Welcome to CB!

Mmm, I think the BIS plan is on another server from the regular internet plans.. I might be wrong though.

With BIS, you can use Blackberry Messenger, have up to 10 email accounts, & yes, I don't think certain BB-only features will work if you only have the regular internet plan.

It's definitely a worthwhile investment to purchase the BIS.

04-15-08 09:47 PM
    Its only $20 a month with tmo, but I would definitely get unlmtd txts also
    Welcome to cb!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-15-08 10:08 PM
    Its such a hassle to get by without a BIS plan. The regular internet through tmobile stinks IMO. In reality you'd only be paying $14 more a month than you're paying now. You get rid of the $5.99 plan for the $20 unlimited data plan. Why would you get a blackberry in the first place if you can't exploit it to its full potential? Makes no sense to me to have a blackberry with crappy $6 internet, no free 3rd party apps, and no push email.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    That's the kind of calculation that I used in changing to the 8830 from Verizon. I was paying for a limited web access. I was also paying for TXTing. I canceled both of those plans (I really did not txt much and now I can email). Although it still did up my costs by about $20.00/month since Verizon is more costly.
    04-16-08 09:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD
";