Why do people seem to have a problem with RIM coming out with phones that have upgraded hardware "refreshes"? It's not like RIM is the only company to do this. Motorola had the Droid then came out with the Droid 2 (a refresh). Apple had the iPhone 3G then the iPhone 4 (a refresh). I don't hear people complaining about those companies coming out with refreshes.

Now I know the specs of those phones do not match what BlackBerrys have. Lets leave that out of this topic. What I would like to know is why is it ok for other companies to come out with refreshes but not RIM?
    01-14-11 09:30 AM
    Because it's RIM and RIM is RIM and they do not make the iPhone!
    01-14-11 09:33 AM
    LOL...Apple invented the refresh with the iPhail!
    01-14-11 09:39 AM
    Then go get an iPhone and tell tipb.com how great it is!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-14-11 09:41 AM
    Because these refreshes don't justify spending $200 and signing another 2 year contract.

Because these refreshes are still a year behind other platforms.

Because while RIM releases one refreshed device other platforms released 4 majorly updated phones.

That why I won't upgrade from my Tour to Tour 2 on VZW. For wifi and trackpad. No thanks. Browser still isn't good.

Last edited by chrisy520; 01-14-11 at 09:45 AM.
    Rickroller and howarmat like this.
    01-14-11 09:42 AM
    Then go get an iPhone and tell tipb.com how great it is!

Do not want one. Sorry.
    01-14-11 09:46 AM
    Because these refreshes don't justify spending $200 and signing another 2 year contract.

Because these refreshes are still a year behind other platforms.

Because while RIM releases one refreshed device other platforms released 4 majorly updated phones.

That why I won't upgrade from my Tour to Tour 2 on VZW. For wifi and trackpad. No thanks. Browser still isn't good.

Bingo! It's not really the fact they issue "refreshes"..it's the fact that the refreshes are a minimal upgrade for maximum money.

Of course..that was then..perhaps we're gonna see a positive shift now. The Torch 2 "refreshes" look exactly as they should be..almost double the processor along with some other goodies (as long as the leaked specs become reality). Don't forget..iPhone caught alot of flak from consumers when the went from the 3G to the 3GS. It's because consumers want more than just a newer casing on their phone when they upgrade.
    01-14-11 10:03 AM
    Lets remember why RIM came out with these refreshes. Not to release a new phone. They wanted phones that would support OS6.
    01-14-11 10:24 AM
    They should have made the Tour and Storms compatible. Their bad.

01-14-11 10:26 AM
    Bingo! It's not really the fact they issue "refreshes"..it's the fact that the refreshes are a minimal upgrade for maximum money.

Of course..that was then..perhaps we're gonna see a positive shift now. The Torch 2 "refreshes" look exactly as they should be..almost double the processor along with some other goodies (as long as the leaked specs become reality). Don't forget..iPhone caught alot of flak from consumers when the went from the 3G to the 3GS. It's because consumers want more than just a newer casing on their phone when they upgrade.
    I think this is spot on. Having said that. The current promised refreshes (Torch and Storm) and the radically changed Dakota will, if they come soon, be worth it and put RIM right back in there. If we don't see them until after Apple and or Android go dual core 4g etc then it's more of the same. RIM needs to rush these phones out early Q2.
    01-14-11 12:13 PM
    I don't think the problem is just that they only seem to make "refreshes" but the fact that RIM doesn't seem to fix what most people feel are real issues. The Tour is a great example, I bought one of those after it had been out a couple of months and loved the phone. I had issues with the modem built into it and it could not maintain a tether. Verizon sent me a Bold (tour 2) in its place, while the tether problem was taken care of, the phone itself wasn't really a whole lot different than the tour. Yes it had a trackpad (I miss my trackball) and more memory and wifi, the browser was still just as slow as the Tour. I got my Bold for free, but I would have been very unhappy if I had extended my contract and paid for the Bold. Most people agree that the Bold's only improvement was making it what the origianal Tour should have been to beging with. These refreshes also seem to indicate that the former phone will be EOL'd OS 6. Many people sign 2yr contracts and it is disheartening to know that many times their phone becomes unsupported and obsolete before their first year is up. I love my BB, but when the browser has so many issues and this never seems to be addressed, it's hard to get excited about the latest refresh much less their ability to compete with other phones.
    01-14-11 12:21 PM
    People here are hitting the nail on the head. It's not so much a refresh. Curve 8520 -> Curve 3G. Double RAM, 3G/GPS support, and OS6 support. Great, just 2 years too late. The reason why we complain is because it's half the refreshes of other phones, in a quarter of the timescale. So effectively, other companies are refreshing 8x better than RIM in the same timescale. They're sealing their own fate. I want RIM to pull through, tell me it's all been just a rough patch where they were just being moronic, and have now seen the light. The Torch 2 does look promising though, although a bit of extra RAM wouldn't have gone amiss! It's a great start, and I hope RIM continue to bring out bigger and better refreshes. Compete well and put yourself on a par or above with other companies specs and UI, and we will love you forever.
    01-14-11 12:49 PM
    Lets remember why RIM came out with these refreshes. Not to release a new phone. They wanted phones that would support OS6.
    That will only be a stop gap and will not have full developer support.

01-14-11 12:52 PM
    Why do people seem to have a problem with RIM coming out with phones that have upgraded hardware "refreshes"? It's not like RIM is the only company to do this. Motorola had the Droid then came out with the Droid 2 (a refresh). Apple had the iPhone 3G then the iPhone 4 (a refresh). I don't hear people complaining about those companies coming out with refreshes.
    The Droid to Droid 2 refresh was fairly significant. A lot more internal memory, more RAM, faster processor, improved keyboard...

Tour to Bold we changed: trackball to a pad, added a small amount of memory, a little more RAM and wifi. They kept the same screen, (already outdated) processor, and everything else exactly the same.

Now I know the specs of those phones do not match what BlackBerrys have. Lets leave that out of this topic. What I would like to know is why is it ok for other companies to come out with refreshes but not RIM?
    RIM's refreshes are very small and incremental. I can't speak for iPhone as I'm not familiar with them, but as mentioned above, at least the Droid/Droid 2 have some rather significant improvements from one to the other.

The Droid 2 to Droid 2 Global refresh ended up going from a straight CDMA device to the device having a GSM radio in it and processor speed went up as well. Both somewhat more significant upgrades (IMO) than any of RIM's refreshes.

RIM could have at least made a few more tweaks here and there. Better screen, faster processor, more internal memory, better camera, etc. Something...
    Last edited by the_sandman_454; 01-14-11 at 03:57 PM.
    01-14-11 03:51 PM
    Irrelevant. The original Droid runs on Froyo OS, just like the Droid 2 and Droid 2 Global. There's a Gingerbread rom available for it as well I'm told. They made their hardware so it would not quickly become irrelevant. It will be relevant well into the future...
    01-14-11 03:55 PM
    Too many people have warped the meaning behind the "Refresh" term through wanton out-of-context use.

Initially when referring to a device as a Refresh, it was to mean that the phone didn't have anything new in it other than added memory so that the device would accommodate newer software.
    01-14-11 04:02 PM
    Android will always run well, even on smaller hardware. It's just the apps on the periphery driving more powerful hardware.
    01-14-11 04:06 PM
    I have nothing against RIM refreshing the lineup. It's healthy! But they should be coming out with more significant next gen phones. When I read the tech specs of some of their competitors, I drool. The HTC Evo 4G, for instance, is a personal hotspot, has an 8megapix camera (with TWO LED flashes!) AND a front facing camera for vidoe chats. 1GHZ Hummingbird processor, HDMI output!! 720p HD video recording, etc., etc.

RIM should come out with a super phone with cutting edge offerings at least once or twice a year. I was super disappointed to learn that my BB Storm2 wasn't OS6 compatible, even though that phone came out well after they started working on the new OS! Based on the way Storm 1 was launched, I figured they owed it to Storm2 owners to issue a helluva device...and they went halfway...adding Wifi.
    01-14-11 04:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD