Is there a way to reflash the BlackBerry 8830 O/S? Apparently Bell has taken it upon themselves to remove the SIP user ID option from the CDMA programming menu and I need it to work on another carrier.

Where do I get the O/S ROM?
    06-20-08 02:40 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

BlackBerry make the tooks and support software to do the job on a PC computer.

This thread include all the detail you will need to flash your own. Start with the "Better" section.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/
    Last edited by Stoner; 06-20-08 at 03:28 PM.
    06-20-08 03:05 PM
    Thanks. But my new carrier isn't listed there, doesn't look like they have their own O/S software. Is there a generic version?

My phone is missing the SIP user ID option on the CDMA programming menu. I need a way to get that option back on the phone as my new carrier requires it for data. Any ideas?
    06-21-08 12:40 AM
    Thanks. But my new carrier isn't listed there, doesn't look like they have their own O/S software. Is there a generic version?

My phone is missing the SIP user ID option on the CDMA programming menu. I need a way to get that option back on the phone as my new carrier requires it for data. Any ideas?
    Who is your carrier? If you have a blackberry, you are going to need Desktop Manager (which you can get from blackberry.com) and the OS, which may be on your carrier's web site or the blackberry site.
    06-21-08 12:56 AM
    Who is your carrier? If you have a blackberry, you are going to need Desktop Manager (which you can get from blackberry.com) and the OS, which may be on your carrier's web site or the blackberry site.
    yeah I have the latest version of desktop manager, my new carrier doesn't have branded phones, nor is the OS listed.
    06-21-08 09:56 AM
    What OS version do you have? Options/About, the third line.
    06-21-08 10:02 AM
    yeah I have the latest version of desktop manager, my new carrier doesn't have branded phones, nor is the OS listed.
    You seemed to have missed answering my first question. Who is your carrier? I would recommend taking a moment to fill out the details of your profile so that when you post, we know who your carrier is, and what model of phone you have.
    06-21-08 10:03 AM
    Is there a way to reflash the BlackBerry 8830 O/S? ...

Bell does offer 8830 support, the actual package download will come from BlackBerry.

It is not critical that you use a specific carriers version unless you will be calling the carrier for ongoing support.

The version linked above is BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.2.2.353 (Multilanguage).

After this has been installed, you will have to remove the vendor.xml file to prepare it for your device.
    Last edited by Stoner; 06-21-08 at 02:51 PM.
    06-21-08 10:04 AM
    What OS version do you have? Options/About, the third line.
    v4.2.2.123 (Platform 3.0.0.64)
    06-21-08 12:45 PM
    When I click on the link Stoner provided, I get an error message saying I entered incorrectly. If you just go to BlackBerry, though, you can find the downloads tab. Bell Mobility North America is available for download. It's the same package Stoner tried to link to directly. They have 4.2.2.196 available.
    Last edited by JeffH; 06-21-08 at 12:55 PM. Reason: spelling
    06-21-08 12:55 PM

Bell does offer 8830 support, the actual package download will come from BlackBerry.

It is not critical that you use a specific carriers version unless you will be calling the carrier for ongoing support.

The version linked above is BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.2.2.353 (Multilanguage).

After this has been installed, you will have to remove the vendor.xml file to prepare it for your device.
    But after reinstalling the O/S, will I have the SIP user ID field back under the CDMA programming screen?
    06-21-08 12:55 PM
    When I click on the link Stoner provided, I get an error message saying I entered incorrectly. If you just go to , though, you can find the downloads tab. Bell Mobility North America is available for download. It's the same package Stoner tried to link to directly. They have 4.2.2.196 available.
    Yeah, I've done that. Perhaps I downloaded the wrong software though. This one was under North America, Bell Mobility Inc. BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.2.2.353 (Multilanguage) (88.835 Mb).
    06-21-08 12:59 PM
    No, that's the right software. 4.2.2.353 is the package number, 4.2.2.196 is the actual OS. Have you installed it on your PC? When you do, you'll see two programs on the Control Panel/AddRemove programs function: the Desktop Software and the Device OS. Do you see both?
    06-21-08 01:05 PM
    can anyone help me
    i like using multitap instead of perdictive input if i switch over to multitap it will be okay for awhile and work then out of nowhere it switches back to perdictive how do i stop it
    thanks
    06-21-08 01:18 PM
    No, that's the right software. 4.2.2.353 is the package number, 4.2.2.196 is the actual OS. Have you installed it on your PC? When you do, you'll see two programs on the Control Panel/AddRemove programs function: the Desktop Software and the Device OS. Do you see both?
    I see one, BlackBerry v4.2.2 for 8830 Wireless Device. This laptop didn't have the desktop software installed, maybe that's why? I'll install it now.
    06-21-08 01:32 PM
    can anyone help me
    i like using multitap instead of perdictive input if i switch over to multitap it will be okay for awhile and work then out of nowhere it switches back to perdictive how do i stop it
    thanks
    That has nothing to do with this thread.
    06-21-08 01:34 PM
    Yes. Install Desktop Manager. You need both pieces of s/w installed. I don't know about CDMA programming screens or SIP user Id's. I've never had to deal with those and have no idea if updating the OS will help.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-21-08 01:41 PM
    Make sure you have a backup of your device data and settings, then you will have that saved.

When you are in Applications Loader, the final step before you proceed, lets you choose Overwrite or Update. It is under the Advanced ... button.
    06-21-08 02:55 PM
    Make sure you have a backup of your device data and settings, then you will have that saved.

When you are in Applications Loader, the final step before you proceed, lets you choose Overwrite or Update. It is under the Advanced ... button.
    What's under the Advanced button?
    06-21-08 05:27 PM
    Overwrite or Update.

06-21-08 05:42 PM
    Overwrite or Update.

I updated. Still no SID user ID option under the CDMA programming.
    06-21-08 06:05 PM
    Stoner may know, but I'm clueless. What are those options, and where do you expect to find them? I'm sorry the upgrade didn't help, but I'm not surprised, since I've updated and rolled-back and never heard of them.
    06-21-08 06:09 PM
    Stoner may know, but I'm clueless. What are those options, and where do you expect to find them? I'm sorry the upgrade didn't help, but I'm not surprised, since I've updated and rolled-back and never heard of them.
    It is found on your CDMA programming edit screen. You'll need your phone's master lock code to get into it, the setting is used for my new carrier, where as Bell just uses MIP.

I need to get the SIP user id field back on the phone. Not sure what he wanted me to do with that vendor.xml file either.
    Last edited by catchit; 06-21-08 at 06:20 PM.
    06-21-08 06:16 PM
    That explains it. I've never had a reason to unlock my phone, therefore I don't know what's in those options. If I'd known what they were, I could have told you that updating the OS has no effect on the lock/unlock state of the phone. Nor does wiping it back to the factory out-of-the-box condition.

Did you search for vendor.xml, or just walk down the path? If you walked down the path, you may have missed the fork at the directory called Common Files. Skip that dir, and you come to a different Rim folder, that doesn't contain vendor.xml. That's why Stoner recommends searching for it.
    06-21-08 06:24 PM
    That explains it. I've never had a reason to unlock my phone, therefore I don't know what's in those options. If I'd known what they were, I could have told you that updating the OS has no effect on the lock/unlock state of the phone. Nor does wiping it back to the factory out-of-the-box condition.

Did you search for vendor.xml, or just walk down the path? If you walked down the path, you may have missed the fork at the directory called Common Files. Skip that dir, and you come to a different Rim folder, that doesn't contain vendor.xml. That's why Stoner recommends searching for it.
    Yeah I found vendor.xml, my new carrier isn't listed. Not sure what he wanted me to do with it either as no mention of SIP user ID is within.
    06-21-08 06:28 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD