I had a tough time searching for this information so I am making this post.

Is there a way to ensure that you don't use any data connection while you're international other than uploading and downloading email?

I am going to get the unlimited international email package from AT&T while I'm on the road for a year and wanted to make sure that I don't get charged anything extra unless I specifically need it at that time.

One way I thought of is to hide all my data applications so that I'm not tempted to use them. (Viigo, browser, opera mini, google maps, blackberry maps, bb messenger) I guess as long as I don't turn them on they won't be using any data. (I may have to also turn off the auto update function of Viigo and possibly delete bb messenger so that nobody will send me messages)

Does this sound like the best plan?
    03-08-08 03:31 PM
    That does sound like a good plan and I would turn of the auto update of viigo as you can just update as and when you want.

If you are worried about useage download mini moni ( a Data Counter) which will help you keep tabs on what you use and if you feel you are using too much you can turn data services off.
    03-08-08 03:36 PM
    usually with an unlimited data plan it wouldnt matter....but i'm not too sure about roaming....usually with tmobile you can get a service thats called "blackberry international roaming"...
    so you are only paying $19.99 on top of the $19.99 for BIS or 29.99 for BES.
    this way you dont get charged $15/Mb on emails you get and send out.
    03-08-08 07:40 PM
    Couldn't you just set your phone to "wifi only" and use it in hotspots or internet cafes?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-08-08 08:44 PM
    Well my 8310 doesn't have wifi on it, so that's not going to work.

I am getting the international unlimited email package, so I know that emails are going to be ok. It's the other data charges other than email that I'm worried about.
    03-08-08 10:04 PM
    Just as an important side note. Make sure you leave the international calling plan on your phone for about 3 months after you return home. I can only speak for ATT but there can be a delay in receiving international charges of 1-3 months sometimes. This means that you could come home cancel the international plan and not realize that you had international calls that havent been billed yet to ATT. Even though you had the plan when you made the calls you will not be covered if ATT is billed after you cancel your plan. OUCH!

If you are afraid of your data charges ATT can block data for you so it is not a concern. Regardless I would call ATT international care and have them give you all the info on charges.
    03-09-08 01:13 AM
    Just as an important side note. Make sure you leave the international calling plan on your phone for about 3 months after you return home. I can only speak for ATT but there can be a delay in receiving international charges of 1-3 months sometimes. This means that you could come home cancel the international plan and not realize that you had international calls that havent been billed yet to ATT. Even though you had the plan when you made the calls you will not be covered if ATT is billed after you cancel your plan. OUCH!

If you are afraid of your data charges ATT can block data for you so it is not a concern. Regardless I would call ATT international care and have them give you all the info on charges.
    Thanks for the tip on the plan afterwards. I will do that.

Can AT&T only block data without blocking email?
    03-09-08 03:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD