Hi guys,

I bought a replacement non-OEM battery on ebay for my torch. It came with a little IC device to replicate the original battery code or whatever, so it will work in my phone. I'm sure many of you heard what this is about.

Paired both batteries and did the trick. The non-original batt worked right away, but each time I boot the device (either pulling out the battery or with alt+shift+del) I see the red cross again. The only way to solve it is by using the IC device that came with it, thus, having the original batt on hand.

Is there a way to avoid this? Or just all non-oem batteries act the same?

Thanks.
    04-02-11 04:13 AM
    Odd. Maybe you got a bad model?
    04-02-11 10:57 AM
    Not sure.. but it's not supposed to behave this way..

Does anybody else use non-original batteries on a torch?
    04-02-11 11:32 AM
    Using non OEM batteries and or chargers is usually a bad idea. Unless every specification has been replicated exactly the same. Problems from warped batteries to over and undercharging. To the extreme examples of fried components and toasted motherboards have been documented. Most warranties also will not honor a device damaged by non OEM accessories. Just my 2 cents.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-02-11 04:08 PM
    Hi guys,

I bought a replacement non-OEM battery on ebay for my torch. It came with a little IC device to replicate the original battery code or whatever, so it will work in my phone. I'm sure many of you heard what this is about.

Paired both batteries and did the trick. The non-original batt worked right away, but each time I boot the device (either pulling out the battery or with alt+shift+del) I see the red cross again. The only way to solve it is by using the IC device that came with it, thus, having the original batt on hand.

Is there a way to avoid this? Or just all non-oem batteries act the same?

Thanks.
    Sounds like we dealt with the same eBayer. I ended up with 2 of these batteries for my Torch (the guy sent me another one when the 1st one wouldn't flash) and I can't even "re-flash" them anymore. Asked for my $$ back but no response. No surprise. This is the first time I've had a problem like this with non-OEM batteries but other peoples' comments on this issue lead me to wonder if I've just been lucky. I've since bitten the bullet and bought an OEM BlackBerry battery from a reputable eBayer and all is well. Came in handy for a recent trip to the UK!

/.Eric
    04-02-11 04:34 PM
    this is one good reason, among many others, why you shouldnt use a non-OEM battery in your phone.

im sure this happens to all of the non-OEM batteries.
    04-02-11 06:19 PM
    You're right.. better spend $15 more for an original batt than an aftermarket one.. it sucks having to reprogram it each time I pull the battery out.
    04-03-11 04:28 AM
    guys how to identify if the battery is non oem ?
    08-24-11 09:14 AM
    Yea I got the same garbage. The battery thing seems to be some kind of battery jumper of some sort. I got a 2600 ma battery for my torch. I will report this seller to ebay asap I suggest you do the same.
    What the error you see is the same error you would see as though there is no battery installed but the cord would be hooked up instead. I tried to put tape over the middle connection pads on the battery still no dice. Ripped off for a few bucks is better than ripped off and a dead phone.
    Got lucky with my Droid and my mother's Droid.
    Sad the Chinese are sending junk like that to us and the sellers here sell straight it to us ne questions asked.
    06-23-12 04:47 PM
    Got lucky with my Droid and my mother's Droid.
    Sad the Chinese are sending junk like that to us and the sellers here sell straight it to us ne questions asked.

Again, the real problem is truth in advertising, every one and his brother who sells batteries on Ebay all claim they are "OEM" batteries. I bought batteries for $5 - $6 on Ebay that have proven to be good, new, OEM batteries that gave me no problems, then again I've paid $15 for a battery because I was trying to avoid a repeat of some of the trash I've wound up with, only to find no matter how much you pay you can still wind up with trash.

I guess the only way to be sure your getting a decent replacement battery is to get into our heads that we have to go to RIM, and pay top dollar, in order to know what your getting before you order it.
    06-23-12 05:11 PM
    Agreed, the problem with RIM is they don't put high capacity batteries on the market fast enough.
    I have plenty of cash so that's no problem. Also I would add cellular providers such my dear friends at Sprint don't sell high capacity batteries either and so they are just as guilty.
    06-24-12 01:25 AM
    Agreed, the problem with RIM is they don't put high capacity batteries on the market fast enough.
    I have plenty of cash so that's no problem. Also I would add cellular providers such my dear friends at Sprint don't sell high capacity batteries either and so they are just as guilty.

Update: I just found a trick and a weakness in the battery. What I did was run it all the way down to 17% then shorted it out with a pair of scissors trying to get it as low as I could then used that jumper box that comes with the new battery used as instructed then tried 2 different reboot programs and only one worked in my BB torch.
    I have a program callled Auto Reboot free installed I think it comes in BB store both free and paid versions.
    I will provide an update if it works over the short and long run but I think somehow I got it to work correctly.
    06-24-12 11:19 AM
    Ok seems that was a fluke. It may be that it only works in low voltage situations not wino the battery is full. I'll keep working on a workaround till I find a way to get it to work as close to our normal way of booting when memory is low.
    06-24-12 12:34 PM
    Ok here's how ya do it! Keep an auxiliary power source handy will need it. It must be a type that can be plugged into the phone wall or battery will do. When away from the connector (I called a jumper) you will not need it to re code your battery the auxiliary power sources will act as a buffer when booting up.
    I tried it and it works you can test it by keeping ya phone plugged in and removing the after market battery and then reinstall it.
    Remember your phone will need to be plugged in when auto booting and if ya have an app that crashes from time to time.
    I plan to keep one of those double A battery sources around me at all times till some company makes an OEM hi capacity available.
    The other option is to swap the tops of the batteries (which contain some kind of encrypted chip) with a soldering iron. Not a good idea due to fire and or phone damage is possible but would work imo.
    06-24-12 06:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD