Just got an 8330 with Verizon.
    Love everything about the phone but the reception inside my house sucks (outside works great). Dropped calls. Phone doesn't ring occasionally, so I miss calls.
    After a lot of back and forth (for three days dialing "***," hitting SEND after each dropped call to triangulate the problem), the engineer says I live in a "marginal" reception area, smack dab in the middle of four towers, so the signal gets tugged between these towers.
    He suggests I get a replacement phone. I had a Motorola 755 (I think it was a 755) before this and it worked fine.
    Read prior posts about 8330 reception but they're a year old and perhaps now not relevant.
    Does the engineer's diagnose make sense?
    Does his solution (it's possibly a defective phone) make sense?
    Thanks a ton.

On an unrelated note, is there some way to get a notification on the phone of a BB software update? How do I know I have the most current system?
    Thanks again.
    05-06-09 01:47 AM
    Look in Options, About, 3rd line down. If you have 4.5.0.77 then you're on the latest Verizon OS for your device.

Did they have you do a *228 option2 to update your PRL?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-06-09 01:56 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry!
    I wont say that what you were told isnt true because I don't know for sure; but it does make a lot of sense.

If you're phone is busy flipping from tower to tower, I can see the connection being lost resulting in dropped calls.
    05-06-09 01:58 AM
    FYI, I had Moto phones before getting a Pearl and a Curve and the Blackberrys are as good or better receptionwise, and I live in an area with very weak signal as well.

If you had service with the Moto 755, I would take the 8330 back and demand trying another one. Maybe you got a bad one as far as RF performance goes.

05-06-09 01:59 AM
    yup, got the latest OS. thanks.
    nope, not told to do *228 Opt. 2. should i? what's a PRL, please?
    also (sorry to be obtuse again), what's RF performance?
    thanks.
    05-06-09 02:04 AM
    RF is Radio Frequency.

A PRL is Preferred Roaming List. Yes, you should do a *228, option 2 to update your PRL at least once every 6 mos. Do it now, you will hear a female computer voice say programming phone, and some crappy music playing. Let it do it's thing until you get a programming completed or a message that programming has failed.

Hopefully, the PRL update will allow your BB to catch one or two towers instead of 4.

05-06-09 02:25 AM
    thanks.
    all good advice, this.
    appreciate it all.
    i'll do the programming business and then inquire into a new phone as well.
    cheers.
    05-06-09 02:28 AM
    No problem
    05-06-09 02:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD