Hello everyone, I'm new here.

Currently I have a Sidekick LX with T-Mobile. This is my phone of choice since it easily has the best AOL-IM interface, and is always connected. My contract is up in December and I'm eligible for an upgrade.

I'm new to the BB scene so I have many questions. I am pretty excited about upgrading to a blackberry, there are some awesome apps (unlike the sidekicks). If I were to upgrade today, which blackberry would you recommend me getting? As of right now, I'm not in a 3g area, though I am sorta close to one. I'm all about instant messaging and such, and casual web surfing, so I'd need to be always connected via AIM. Would it be better if I wait till November when the BB 9700? comes out? The Storm 2 looks cool but that's just Verizon right?. I'm just so new to this I don't even know what the newer models are.

sorry if I rambled. I'll have more questions in a bit I'm sure.

I'm so glad I completely and utterly misspelled the Topic Title. It's early.
    Last edited by nomarfar; 10-06-09 at 10:10 AM. Reason: I'm an *****
    10-06-09 10:05 AM
    I have heard excellent things about the Curve 8900. That being said the upcoming release of the 9700 on Tmobile may be worth waiting for.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-06-09 10:07 AM
    Well, if you can wait for the 9700 and have the money, then get that but if you want one now, then the 8900 is a great phone. That's what I have and I love the thing. Like you, I am near a 3G area but not in one so it doesn't much matter to me. The 8900 doesn't have 3G but it sure has everything else. It has all the usual suspects with IM (Google, AIM, MSN, BBM and Yahoo). It also has FaceBook and MySpace (can't really remember if that came with it or I downloaded it (either way it's free). Texting on either device will be great thanks to the full keyboards. Biggest advantage over the Sidekick (besides e-mail)? Seems to me the Sidekick is extremely lmited in personalization. The Blackberry devices (all of them) are extremely customizeable. Besides all the backgrounds, alerts, and visual signals, the 8900 also allows you to use any mp3 as a ringtone so you never have to buy one. What more could you ask?
    10-06-09 10:17 AM
    I'd say 8900 is a GREAT place to start. It's nice and quick, and can do everything the higher end devices do, except 3G.

Heck, if you don't need GPS capabilities, even the 8520 should be worth a look. The camera is a little less good, but it does have the optical trackpad and dedicated media buttons too. Plus it's CHEAP.
    If I didn't need GPS, I might have gotten it instead of my 8900.

the 9700 is a thing of beauty, and has EVERYTHING that can be tossed into a single Berry. But it's expensive... And coming off a sidekick, even the entry level Berries ares superb.

One thing though. Stay away from the 83xx Curves. I don't care how cheap they are or if the saleman is giving them away, they're just to slow, no OS5.0 support (probably), and very little app space.
    10-06-09 12:37 PM
    thanks for the recommendations (see, I can spell it correctly, lol). I am right to assume that the Beejive AIM will run in the background right?

I know the iPhone doesn't have any background AIM application really. Coming from a sidekick which is always connected, I'm hoping for something as close to real-time IM'ing possible.

I'm thinking the 8900 would work. I just feel weird getting that device KNOWING a newer model is coming out. Maybe I'll wait to see what the price point is with a 2year.
    10-06-09 12:44 PM
    Just don't get the cheap curves!
    10-06-09 02:40 PM
    I have an 8320. I don't consider it cheap, but I would go with an 8900 if I was getting one now. My 8320 isn't gonna get OS 5.0 It also doesn't have much internal memory. I would go with the 8900.

10-06-09 03:42 PM
    If you're getting one today get the 8900. If you're waiting then get the 9700 when its finally released. I too came from a sidekick lx. You will be amazed by what the bb can do. And yes all apps can run in the background. Although you'll want to pick and choose them carefully since multiple apps running will kill battery life quicker.

10-06-09 03:48 PM
    thanks for the recommendations (see, I can spell it correctly, lol). I am right to assume that the Beejive AIM will run in the background right?

I know the iPhone doesn't have any background AIM application really. Coming from a sidekick which is always connected, I'm hoping for something as close to real-time IM'ing possible.

I'm thinking the 8900 would work. I just feel weird getting that device KNOWING a newer model is coming out. Maybe I'll wait to see what the price point is with a 2year.
    And Beejive will be just fine in the backround
    The only real advantage the 9700 has is 3G, so if you've got decent coverage, and you plan on web browsing or downloading a lot then the 9700 makes sense.
    But if you're mostly going to be using it for IM, SMS, etc, then the 8900 makes more sense.
    10-06-09 04:20 PM
    I have had a Pearl and a Curve 8320. I just got a 8900 Curve and it is fantastic!
    I had thought about waiting for the 9700 but I really don't need 3G (spend most of my time near wifi).
    You can't go wrong with with either device.
    Edited to ad: I have my yahoo messenger open all the time and it is definitely real-time. The only thing that I can think would be a problem would be that the keyboard is much smaller than a sidekick. I like togo in the store and play around with them before I buy.

Last edited by ellegee; 10-06-09 at 07:35 PM.
    10-06-09 07:27 PM
    Blackberrys can do everything a sidekick can do plus more 8900 or 8520 will suite u fine if ur contract is up in december so the 9700 will prob be out so that will be the prime choice

10-06-09 08:53 PM
    Just don't get the cheap curves!
    Gotta disagree with you. True the 83xx are not as fast as some of the newer models, but cheap? I think thats a little strong. My 8320 is a workhorse and I absolutely love it. I see the 83xx series in HEAVY use everywhere I go. Surely a "cheap" device wouldn't still be in heavy use if it was cheap. Again, it's not the top of the line BB, but it's far from cheap too.
    10-07-09 08:33 AM

Contrare (did I spell THAT right). When I'm logged into any of the Im's, it does alert you when someone IMs you. I also wouldn't feel dumb getting the 8900 with teh 9700 coming out. The 8900 is still pretty new and has most everything the 9700 has. There is ALWAYS a newer phone coming out. You CAN'T keep up.
    10-07-09 08:58 AM
    The 8900 is a great Blackberry. Best one I've had to date.
    The 9700 is gonna be nice but like some of the others said if you don't need 3G then get the 8900.
    10-07-09 09:06 AM
    I have an 8320. I don't consider it cheap, but I would go with an 8900 if I was getting one now. My 8320 isn't gonna get OS 5.0 It also doesn't have much internal memory. I would go with the 8900.

Gotta disagree with you. True the 83xx are not as fast as some of the newer models, but cheap? I think thats a little strong. My 8320 is a workhorse and I absolutely love it. I see the 83xx series in HEAVY use everywhere I go. Surely a "cheap" device wouldn't still be in heavy use if it was cheap. Again, it's not the top of the line BB, but it's far from cheap too.
    I agree. My 8310 was "cheap" as in inexpensive, but it wasn't cheap on quality.
    It was, however, slow and perennially out of app space.
    While I agree the 83xx series is a great workhorse, and is the most popular BlackBerry out there, I just can't recommend them with the 85xx coming out now.
    10-07-09 10:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD