Ok, here's a quick version of the story:

Last night I'm out with a few of my friends and we all have Pearl's but with different carriers. Anyone, one of the girls said something about having to turn off the BB for about 15 minutes once every two weeks to allow it time to reset so the internal computer can receive messages correctly. I was like what? Are you serious? She kept on saying some dude at the store told her this seeing that her voice mails and text messages were being delayed over an hour or so. She's kind of one of those gullible people, but the more I starting thinking about the situation; I'm starting to wonder if she was right.

Please tell me I'm not as stupid as she is as I have done everything in my power to keep my precious BB updated. Anyone have any clue?
    02-20-08 08:44 PM
    I have never heard that before. But don't you turn your phone off at least once a week at night? I would think that would be covered with that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-20-08 08:47 PM
    it is basicaly a computer and it is a good idea to restart the device. The best way to do this is to just remove the battery with the device turned on. let it sit for about 20 sec or so, then put it back in.

This is a good practice to do about once a week or so just to ensure the BB is working at peak performance.

Txt msg, voicemail delivery being slow is generaly caused by the network rather than the device. however it could be caused by the device
    02-20-08 08:50 PM
    is it really ok to remove the battery while it is on? I'm too scared to do that.
    02-20-08 09:21 PM
    yeah its like a hard reset without wiping your bb clean ;]
    02-20-08 09:36 PM
    it is basicaly a computer and it is a good idea to restart the device.
    dunno if thats a proper analogy really.. pc's are meant to be run as much or as little as needed.

my file server is running on an APC UPS and has been up for almost 2 years without being shut down.
    and until windows updates hits mine and my wifes' pc's and makes us reboot, they stay on 24/7.

i would take anything a service rep tells me in a store with a grain of salt..
    does rebooting the BB clear browser cache, stale messages, etc?
    if not, then rebooting the blackberry once a week or two is probably a placebo effect. if its not a placebo effect.. then theres something seriously flawed in the software or hardware design of the BB's.

just my .02

cheers
    02-20-08 10:01 PM
    I really appreciate everyone's advice and 2 pennies worth. I have to go MY carrier's store tomorrow anyway to bee-yatch about my service plan. Seems somethings have been changed that I wasn't aware of and I want them back!!! So while I am there I'll double check into everything. I thought her blond hair might have something to do with the fact I keep telling her she needs to wear a helmet. LOL!
    02-20-08 11:25 PM
    A battery pull every now and then is good.
    02-21-08 05:28 AM
    Seems like every time I tell T-Mobile the message and internet is running like a snail their response to that is ALWAYS the same: "well do you turn off your phone once a week?" Of coarse I reply. But in fact I'm thinking **** NO! Why? If my phone is off its not doing its job. Maybe there is some truth to this. ????????

02-21-08 05:56 AM
    does rebooting the BB clear browser cache, stale messages, etc?
    Doing a "battery pull" (ie. removing the battery from the device for about a minute) should clear-up lost memory, from un-installed programs and so forth...

It's good to reset all mobile phones and PDAs every so often, but every fortnight is a bit much for a mobile phone - I'd say once a month with even heavy use should be enough.
    02-21-08 06:58 AM
    Doing a "battery pull" (ie. removing the battery from the device for about a minute) should clear-up lost memory, from un-installed programs and so forth...

It's good to reset all mobile phones and PDAs every so often, but every fortnight is a bit much for a mobile phone - I'd say once a month with even heavy use should be enough.
    good to know.. but that kinda makes me think there is a problem with the design of the software or OS memory management. we shouldn't have to reset our bb's
    not that its a task or is difficult.. but seems like we have windows 95/98 type memory problems on our nice new pda/phones lol.
    i swear i see a BSOD, and i'm chucking it in the trash
    02-21-08 06:20 PM
    interesting.

i do hard resets once in a while as well as *228 but that's about it.
    02-21-08 06:31 PM
    I really appreciate everyone's advice and 2 pennies worth. I have to go MY carrier's store tomorrow anyway to bee-yatch about my service plan. Seems somethings have been changed that I wasn't aware of and I want them back!!! So while I am there I'll double check into everything. I thought her blond hair might have something to do with the fact I keep telling her she needs to wear a helmet. LOL!
    Wow, if I was a blond, I'd be really insulted.....
    02-21-08 07:16 PM
    Me personally, I take my battery out at least 3 times a week and defrag it twice. To do a defrag hold down the ALT key while pressing LGLG. When this screen comes up bring up the menu and select clear all, after which take your battery out for at least 30 seconds then put it back in. As I've stated, I defrag twice a week and pull my battery 3 times a week. My 8830 has still been running fast just like the first day that I got it. Remember also to keep your cache cleared in your internet browser. Go to options, cache operations,and clear cache. If there is a lot of stuff here, it will most definately make your berry run slow while trying to surf. I hope I was some help to all of you.

02-22-08 03:46 AM
    How does this trigger a defrag? Can you confirm this? I clear my log frequently, and do a battery pull as needed, but this is the first I've heard of a defrag.

Me personally, I take my battery out at least 3 times a week and defrag it twice. To do a defrag hold down the ALT key while pressing LGLG. When this screen comes up bring up the menu and select clear all, after which take your battery out for at least 30 seconds then put it back in. As I've stated, I defrag twice a week and pull my battery 3 times a week. My 8830 has still been running fast just like the first day that I got it. Remember also to keep your cache cleared in your internet browser. Go to options, cache operations,and clear cache. If there is a lot of stuff here, it will most definately make your berry run slow while trying to surf. I hope I was some help to all of you.

02-22-08 08:05 AM
    I work with computers...computers do need to be shutdown and restarted daily however i didnt figure this would be the case with a blackberry or other smartphones because i didnt really think of it as a computer. Maybe it does make sense to do that but i dont think it should be necessary that often, though my BB is new ive only had it for two weeks and i already had to pull the battery so that it can work correctly.
    Last edited by NewBerry320; 02-22-08 at 08:36 AM.
    02-22-08 08:33 AM
    You shouldn't need to reboot it daily (PC or BB). One in two weeks is not a big deal. You "should" do it anyway about 1x week.
    With the BB powered ON, remove the battery and hold for 30 seconds, replace and reboot.
    02-22-08 08:57 AM
    How does this trigger a defrag? Can you confirm this? I clear my log frequently, and do a battery pull as needed, but this is the first I've heard of a defrag.
    It's a BlackBerry - not a computer, but a smartphone with a clean, basic file structure... The possibility that a BlackBerry device will need defragging is pretty unlikely, in fact, I would say only in VERY, VERY extreme circumstances (ie. exceptionally heavy use with VERY frequent creation/deletion/movement of large files) would there be even the most remote possibility of need to defrag a BlackBerry device, and even then, it's only likely to be the memory card that would need defragging.
    02-22-08 09:22 AM
    It's a BlackBerry - not a computer, but a smartphone with a clean, basic file structure... The possibility that a BlackBerry device will need defragging is pretty unlikely, in fact, I would say only in VERY, VERY extreme circumstances (ie. exceptionally heavy use with VERY frequent creation/deletion/movement of large files) would there be even the most remote possibility of need to defrag a BlackBerry device, and even then, it's only likely to be the memory card that would need defragging.
    That's kinda what I figured, which is what made me curious that someone would mention it....
    02-22-08 09:55 AM
    If you notice this log that you're actually clearing is really just showing all of the executions that your blackberry has done. When I was with Nextel they taught me how to do this with my 7100i. The term defrag came from them while explaining to me so that's just a term I've held on to. Of course its not an actual defrag when it comes to a PC or a Berry because files are being moved to other files of the same sort in order to execute a defrag. With a Berry, the only thing that is happening is clearing a log like you would a cache. Wrong term to use buddy, my mistake.

02-22-08 11:10 AM
    I work with computers...computers do need to be shutdown and restarted daily however
    no.. they dont. if your having to reboot a computer daily.. theres something seriously wrong with that computer(s). if that was the case the internet wouldnt be up for very long.

my file server.. almost 2 years uptime, and thats with updating it too (i love linux).
    my wifes pc has been up for over a month strait right now.
    and my pc gets dual booted so its up time can vary.
    02-22-08 11:13 AM
    I apologize guys, wrong word to use with a Berry in the same sentence.

02-22-08 11:13 AM
    Also remember that internet speed w/the blackberry is only as good as your signal strength. The cache clearing is KEY though

02-22-08 01:21 PM
    Yeah, Linux almost never needs to be defragmented and even then it's only in exceptional circumstances (eg. A server that is frequently moving HUGE volumes of data back and forth, maybe at a television station for example), maybe once every 6-12 months... I'm not sure on the specifics, but apparently the secret is in the file system used by Linux - I"m told it pretty much eliminates fragmentation in all but the most exceptional of circumstances!

02-22-08 11:54 PM
    speaking of linux... to ask a bit of an off topic question.. anyone try a BB in linux?
    02-23-08 01:58 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD