EDIT: Just decided to remove the post here and instead turn it into a complete article on BerryFlow and my personal site. My initial thoughts turned out to be much more in-depth and detailed that it didn't do the article justice by just having it as a post here. Please check out the link below and sorry for the inconvenience:

Android On BlackBerry Is Good Business
    Last edited by Flip4Bytes; 09-08-15 at 10:13 PM.
    08-31-15 07:14 AM
    Nicely done. A very well thought out post and a good read.
    08-31-15 07:39 AM
    If they make Android hardware, might as well kill it off anyway. It's just another Android hardware device, there are lots of those. Nothing special here.
    08-31-15 07:42 AM
    How dare you! Don't you know common sense isn't allowed on this forum?!? Don't you know the answer to ALL the world's problems (including war and famine) is marketing and high-end all touch?!?
    08-31-15 07:44 AM
    As Birdman said in the news section...well said.

I want them to succeed regardless...bb10, android, ios....whatever. again I've been using BlackBerry since the beeper days and I would hate for them to fold without giving Android a shot. BlackBerry has an advantage over other manufacturers and that is the keyboard. BlackBerry will merge both touchscreen and keyboard together, slap on Android and Bam! Consumer will flock again to the BlackBerry.

Because all the carriers sell anything and everything Android. Carriers want to give the consumers options and BlackBerry running android is too compelling for them not to take a chance stocking this device. At least in the US it seems this way...

Not Fours Years But A Lifetime
    abass and Madhuchandran like this.
    08-31-15 07:44 AM
    If they make Android hardware, might as well kill it off anyway. It's just another Android hardware device, there are lots of those. Nothing special here.
    You're right. BUT if they manage to secure Android using the QNX kernal or something and offer the only good quality physical keyboard Android device on the market, why not atleast give it a change?

I mean you're right looking at it one way. Just another Android device, right? Well what would differentiate it? If it was a secured Android platform and that it has a physical QWERTY keyboard. Those are the two differentiators it has (putting aside the BlackBerry Experience suite because that's coming to all Android and iOS devices eventually). From an enterprise standpoint, having a secured Android is a big deal, and their IT lead will FINALLY be happy to push and support BlackBerry devices because they are already familiar with Android. So they have a back-door into the enterprise market. Which is a good thing, but definitely isn't very many sales, not enough to support an entire hardware business, probably.

So let's look at it from the consumer aspect of things. What differentiates BlackBerry from other Android devices? Honestly, just the physical keyboard in their eyes. They won't give a cr@p about secured Android or anything else. So the question is, can BlackBerry be the one hardware manufacturer that just develops physical keyboard Android devices and grow it large enough to atleast make it profitable so they don't have to axe their hardware business? The answer is possibly - Is it a risk? Well sure, it's still a risk, but why not atleast give it a chance? If it fails though, then for sure, you're right, they will axe the hardware business regardless. Again, this is their last bet to keep the hardware business, and your comment is just saying to accelerate the process. I save give it a shot. Even a 10% chance at success in the Android hardware business is better than 0%.
    DJM626 likes this.
    08-31-15 08:06 AM
    Nicely done. A very well thought out post and a good read.
    Thanks for the kind words and giving it a read

As Birdman said in the news section...well said.

I want them to succeed regardless...bb10, android, ios....whatever. again I've been using BlackBerry since the beeper days and I would hate for them to fold without giving Android a shot. BlackBerry has an advantage over other manufacturers and that is the keyboard. BlackBerry will merge both touchscreen and keyboard together, slap on Android and Bam! Consumer will flock again to the BlackBerry.

Because all the carriers sell anything and everything Android. Carriers want to give the consumers options and BlackBerry running android is too compelling for them not to take a chance stocking this device. At least in the US it seems this way...

Not Fours Years But A Lifetime
    Thank you (: and this point exactly! They are taking a shot in the dark at this, and they might fail.. But I'd rather them take one last shot rather than calling it quits now and just dumping the hardware business.

The day that BlackBerry no longer creates devices will be a weird day in the tech world. Especially for me, because I too have been with BlackBerry my entire smartphone-life. I really don't want them to get to that point, so I'm willing to support them regardless of the direction they take if it means a chance at keeping the hardware business.
    Madhuchandran likes this.
    08-31-15 08:09 AM
    Many are not giving enough credit (if it happens) to the potential of the BlackBerry skin as a unique feature. BlackBerry used to have a fairly unique design as well. Not enough consumers want a PKB. BlackBerry will still have to make a compelling all touch device.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-15 08:47 AM
    Luckily there are also lots of Android device buyers! Hooray.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-15 08:56 AM
    EDIT: Just turned this into a complete article on BerryFlow because it turned out to be a bit more than I was expecting to write. Here's the link:

Android On BlackBerry Is Good Business
    I like the render with Blackberry symbol followed by QNX. If they end up offering two OS's, they should change the visible branding on the slider.

Great article.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-15 08:58 AM
    You're right. BUT if they manage to secure Android using the QNX kernal or something and offer the only good quality physical keyboard Android device on the market, why not atleast give it a change?

I mean you're right looking at it one way. Just another Android device, right? Well what would differentiate it? If it was a secured Android platform and that it has a physical QWERTY keyboard. Those are the two differentiators it has (putting aside the BlackBerry Experience suite because that's coming to all Android and iOS devices eventually). From an enterprise standpoint, having a secured Android is a big deal, and their IT lead will FINALLY be happy to push and support BlackBerry devices because they are already familiar with Android. So they have a back-door into the enterprise market. Which is a good thing, but definitely isn't very many sales, not enough to support an entire hardware business, probably.

So let's look at it from the consumer aspect of things. What differentiates BlackBerry from other Android devices? Honestly, just the physical keyboard in their eyes. They won't give a cr@p about secured Android or anything else. So the question is, can BlackBerry be the one hardware manufacturer that just develops physical keyboard Android devices and grow it large enough to atleast make it profitable so they don't have to axe their hardware business? The answer is possibly - Is it a risk? Well sure, it's still a risk, but why not atleast give it a chance? If it fails though, then for sure, you're right, they will axe the hardware business regardless. Again, this is their last bet to keep the hardware business, and your comment is just saying to accelerate the process. I save give it a shot. Even a 10% chance at success in the Android hardware business is better than 0%.
    If QNX or a hypervisor is involved.... that would be something.

But right now, none of the leaks I've seen indicate that is the case. And from what we know that would be something Google hasn't allowed in the past. And there have been some strong "hints" that it isn't the case.

I think we are looking at just another Android Device.... with a keyboard. Which I think has a limited appeal at this point in time. Maybe if the Slider is done right.. it could capture enough sales to make it a success. But I do think it is still risky, so I'm not sure how much Chen will back this in the consumer market. If it isn't marketed and isn't in stores... it isn't going to sell well.

As for Security... again I think a BlackBerry using Android for Work with BES will be the same an Edge Note using Android for Work with BES. Maybe they'll wave the subscription fee?

Which is why I imagine this as more of a proof of concept for the BlackBerry Experience... and less about saving hardware.
    Bbnivende and Troy Tiscareno like this.
    08-31-15 08:58 AM
    Nice article

Q10 on 10.3.2.2474
    08-31-15 09:01 AM
    Which is why I imagine this as more of a proof of concept for the BlackBerry Experience... and less about saving hardware.
    Good point, BlackBerry could have just released the HUB and other BlackBerry Experience apps to iOS and Android, but it'd probably be pretty lackluster. They are utilizing all of the hype that the slider is getting to also promote their BlackBerry Experience Suite. People will pay attention to the apps and the launcher/skin. I totally agree, it'd a good proof of concept for the BB Experience Suite but it can also be the thing that saves the hardware business. Which of the two is it *more* about? Well if they save the hardware business, then it's probably that. If they don't save the hardware business then it's easier to call it a proof of concept/experiment. I honestly believe that even BlackBerry doesn't know which of the two it "more" is. It's success is 100% based on whether or not people will adopt the device and software or not, and it's impossible for BlackBerry to know the answer to that until it's actually out in the market and tested. Good point though, I agree.
    08-31-15 09:22 AM
    Many are not giving enough credit (if it happens) to the potential of the BlackBerry skin as a unique feature. BlackBerry used to have a fairly unique design as well. Not enough consumers want a PKB. BlackBerry will still have to make a compelling all touch device.

Posted via CB10
    And they are already half way there. The all touch Passport Will do the trick with better specs than the slider. This will sell big time. It will have the best screen ever made on a device. The perfect size. The only PKB device needed is the current Passport made with the same specs as the all touch one. These devices will be highly desirable. This is what Chen needs to work on.

BUT FOR SOME REASON MR CHEN ISN'T LISTENING TO THE REAL BLACKBERRY USERS.

This is all he has to do. The devs will come running.

What is Chen waiting for? This is the only option. If he doesn't do it then you'll see Samsung come out with a device looking just like the Passport in a full screen and beat BlackBerry to the punch.

TMO  Z10,STL100-3/10.2.1.2156
    08-31-15 09:41 AM
    you should have submitted the article here
    08-31-15 10:17 AM
    Lol... it's ok, we're all one tiny BlackBerry-enthusiast family now.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-15 10:19 AM
    Luckily there are also lots of Android device buyers! Hooray.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly. They don't need to conquer the world. If they can recover a tiny percentage of Android's 80% marketshare, and get to a crooked number, it would be a huge success story.
    08-31-15 10:37 AM
    Damn! Maybe Chris would have even thrown me a few bucks had I done that! Dang.. I don't know.. The last thing CrackBerry needs is more articles talking about the positives of the Android move. This community is definitely tough, it's hit-or-miss. I'm sure this article upset many, so maybe it's a good thing that CrackBerry isn't directly tied to it :P

But yeah, I was planning on keeping the entire article here, but then it started to get out of hand and wasn't styled all that well. This post started off as a comment reply to someone else here, then I moved it to the forum, then I moved it to a site. Again, wasn't expecting it to be that in-depth at first.

Lol... it's ok, we're all one tiny BlackBerry-enthusiast family now.

Posted via CB10
    Hah yeah exactly. One tiny, tiny, tiny BB enthusiast family :'( but hey! It's probably a good thing. Just the most passionate stay around so we have a much more passionate group of people than the other major sites.
    08-31-15 10:41 AM
    And they are already half way there. The all touch Passport Will do the trick with better specs than the slider. This will sell big time. It will have the best screen ever made on a device. The perfect size. The only PKB device needed is the current Passport made with the same specs as the all touch one. These devices will be highly desirable. This is what Chen needs to work on.

What is Chen waiting for? This is the only option. If he doesn't do it then you'll see Samsung come out with a device looking just like the Passport in a full screen and beat BlackBerry to the punch.

There is such a thing as a device that is too long and too wide. For many the Note is too long and for even more the Passport is too wide. I see nothing wrong with making an all touch Passport but a conventionally sized phone with the same specs would sell much better.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-15 10:47 AM

You have to understand that this is a business, not a charity. There aren't enough "real blackberry users" to support BlackBerry as a milti-billion dollar company anymore. Chen could listen to the hardcore users all he wants, but it won't save the company. And the comment "This is all he has to do. The devs will come running." is not the case whatsoever. People so mis-understand just how much devs WON'T come to BB10. This entire article was written to explain why devs coming to BB10 isn't going to happen, and one phone that makes part of the hardcore BB users happy, isn't going to change that.

Maybe if the Passport was selling off the shelf like hotcakes and BlackBerry could sustain it's own hardware business would Chen have decided to take another risk with a new form factor. But guess what new form factors do? It'll do nothing but UPSET and ANNOY the developers. It's a PAIN to support so many different awkward screen sizes. I would know, I'm a developer. And it's a PAIN supporting the Z10 screen size, Z30, Q10, and Passport. If BlackBerry released yet ANOTHER widely strange aspect ratio, I and many others wouldn't even port our existing apps over to it.

It's so easy to say these things and claim that "devs will come running", but I can tell you for certain that developing an all-touch passport will do nothing but the complete opposite in that regard.
    08-31-15 10:54 AM
    I don't believe for a minute that QNX will have anything to do with the Slider. It will be pure Android.

BUT, I think the BlackBerry keyboard is a significant differentiating feature in a sea of slabs.

Even breaking even in hardware would be a far cry from the millions being lost today.

The BlackBerry Experience Suite is already a division of its own, so is not a cost to the hardware business. Also, Google builds the OS, and the manufacturing is sourced out. What's left as a cost to BlackBerry device division? A small design team, a few engineers to tweak some code, customer support, and marketing.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2639
    Last edited by conite; 08-31-15 at 11:21 AM.
    08-31-15 11:10 AM
    In 1982 the book In Search of Excellence was published.

33 years later, as suggested in this analysis, the concept of excellence has clearly taken a back seat to building a business on perceptions rather than firm and principled foundations.

It has been the reality in the last several decades that excellence has been set aside and businesses built on flash in the pan fads Ie the Pet Rock of the late seventies.

The world of phone technology is baffling. I work with small business in other fields that would be successful if they could convert 2.5% of the 40,000,000 BlackBerry users so easily dismissed into regular returning customers.

As pointed out, BlackBerry is doing what needs to be done to remain relevant. With some tweaking, I believe Android should be optionally available to the Passport and Classic devices. That tweaking necessarily needs to resolve the aspect ratio issue inherent in the Passport. I would suggest the concept of the 'letterbox' utilized as TV's were transitioning to today's standards.

BlackBerry Passport SE driven by 10.3.2.2339 on T-Mobile
    Last edited by GenghisKahn2011; 08-31-15 at 04:12 PM.
    08-31-15 11:30 AM
    Follow the trail of bread crumbs being left behind by BB and Samsung. I think that what we're going to see in the not too distant future is collaboration (if not an OS merger) between the two companies. This would satisfy the needs of both companies while creating an expanded user base and app access for BB and security for Samsung. With every mobile manufacturer trying to copy the more successful aspects of the others, we are gradually working our way to a commonality of function among the various OSs.
    08-31-15 01:26 PM
    BlackBerry 10 already is capable of running Android Apps. I'm even able to run the Google play Store.

The only thing that is missing: Google Play Services. If BlackBerry is able to make it possible to install GPS, BlackBerry 10 has a future.

For sure BlackBerry is able to make Android phones. But making money with android phones is a complete different story.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-15 01:36 PM
    The only thing that is missing: Google Play Services. If BlackBerry is able to make it possible to install GPS, BlackBerry 10 has a future.

Posted via CB10
    That's why they have to go pure Android, as it's the only permissible way to get Google Play Services. BB10 and GPS are mutually exclusive.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2639
    08-31-15 01:41 PM
127 123 ...