I'm wanting to allow my friends to track me and my 8900 in real time via the built in GPS. Ideally, I'd like to be able to allow friends to visit an online site where they could see the data real time.

Any ideas?
    02-24-09 07:55 PM
    Yeah get google maps it now comes with latitude and its the closest you can get right now that I know of.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-24-09 08:00 PM
    Google Maps works great.
    02-24-09 08:05 PM
    Do Google Maps provide real tracking on the web? I added the app to my iGoogle account
    02-24-09 08:28 PM
    I got all my buddies using Google Maps Latitude. You can see where everyone is and give status updates.
    02-24-09 08:38 PM
    There's also the software from GPSed.com. I use it just to make GPS tracks, but it says you can display your location in real time as well.
    02-24-09 10:31 PM
    I hate latitude and google maps! Its always like 10 blocks wrong from my real location! What's the point of that?!?

02-24-09 10:36 PM
    My google maps with latitued is right on.

02-24-09 10:48 PM
    I hate latitude and google maps! Its always like 10 blocks wrong from my real location! What's the point of that?!?

Same here, the worst thing about it is the fact that it doesn't even use the GPS chip inside the phone.

I personally will not be using Google Maps Latitude, I do not like the idea of being tracking or tracking people, I like my privacy too much.
    02-25-09 02:32 AM
    On google maps I have 2 contacts that have been in the same spot for 2 days now. Why is that? Ive refreshed my phone, and stlll nothing. My buddy can be standing next to me, and google still shows him being home. Now my girlfriend always seems to be moving around all the time. Am I doing something wrong on my end?

02-25-09 02:43 AM
    For you guys having problems with gps you have to configure your gps settings to allow gps location and enable location aiding
    02-25-09 03:43 AM
    Yeah, your GPS needs to be activated. When you're on the Goog Map page, it'll pick up your excat location after it connects to GPS. When you're not on the Goog Map, it will just pick up the nearest cell tower. Same with your contacts.
    02-25-09 08:31 PM
    On google maps I have 2 contacts that have been in the same spot for 2 days now. Why is that? Ive refreshed my phone, and stlll nothing. My buddy can be standing next to me, and google still shows him being home. Now my girlfriend always seems to be moving around all the time. Am I doing something wrong on my end?

There are privacy settings. You can have it set manually or to track your position automatically. It's not all creepy where it follows you everywhere. You can always turn it off.
    02-25-09 08:58 PM
    Do you know how to turn the GPS feature on? I hate seeing myself 10 blocks away from the actual location. I downloaded google maps already.
    03-16-09 12:52 PM
    Options-----Advanced Options-----GPS----

GPS Data Source = Device GPS
    GPS Services = Location ON

Then click on the blackberry key... while out side with a clear view of the sky and select Refresh GPS....this can take a few minutes up to 10....

Then open google maps and within seconds you should lock on. Each time you load the google maps it can take up to 30 or so seconds to lock on to you exact position.
    Last edited by ClintRo; 03-16-09 at 02:11 PM.
    03-16-09 12:59 PM
    For you guys having problems with gps you have to configure your gps settings to allow gps location and enable location aiding
    No No, you want location aiding to be DISABLED. I've always found better results that way.

Fyi, location aiding is aGPS (Assisted GPS) which pulls locations data from cellular towers in addition to GPS satellites.
    Last edited by acerunner; 03-16-09 at 02:14 PM.
    03-16-09 02:06 PM
    No No, you want location aiding to be DISABLED. I've always found better results that way.

Fyi, location aiding is aGPS (Assisted GPS) which pulls locations data from cellular towers in addition to GPS satellites.
    so what youre trying to say is...

GPS Services: Location should be ON
    Location Aiding: Disabled?
    03-16-09 02:38 PM
    Mine is set to disabled while roaming... and the GPS works just fine for me!!
    03-16-09 02:40 PM
    so what youre trying to say is...

GPS Services: Location should be ON
    Location Aiding: Disabled?
    aGPS sounds like it should work better since its "assisted", however I've found better results without it. So I keep it DISABLED.

The roaming option is for different modes of aGPS. Some require cell providers authentication in order to get data, thus if roaming, you don't wanna pay for the charge.
    03-16-09 02:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD