it does involve my PC, which is used to update my BB.

I'm no PC guru, by any means. Whenever I plug in my ethernet cable (CAT5) to my PC, which runs from my wireless router, my computer begins acting strangely. My monitor immediately goes into power saving mode and I just get a message saying that it is doing so.

Any thoughts?
    04-11-08 03:39 PM
    You could spend $20 and buy a PCI NIC and bypass the one you have been using. I assume the one you are using is built-in to the motherboard...
    04-11-08 03:56 PM
    it does involve my PC, which is used to update my BB.

I'm no PC guru, by any means. Whenever I plug in my ethernet cable (CAT5) to my PC, which runs from my wireless router, my computer begins acting strangely. My monitor immediately goes into power saving mode and I just get a message saying that it is doing so.

Any thoughts?
    This is an unsual problem. Is this a laptop or desktop? Is it just your monitor or also the PC going into power saving mode? In anycase it's at least worth looking at the power management settings of the internal network adapter. Remove any selected power management features. ie uncheck/disable "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power network adapter power management setting" What you experience is not normal, though it could be related to a mulfunction that is in turn is related to this feature.

You can use Device Manager to change the power management settings for a network adapter.

To disable this setting in Device Manager, expand Network Adapters, right-click the adapter, click Properties, click the Power Management tab, and then clear the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power check box.

On some PC's like Dell, you may find also find a special applet to change this setting named "Internal NIC Configuration"
    Last edited by Berryman; 04-11-08 at 04:09 PM.
    04-11-08 04:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD