This post is for all of us out there like myself that check CB constantly for news and updates related to BlackBerry's survival and are so engrossed in this roller coaster that they gaze over all other blog headlines as of late...

Realistically, when will we find out something that is more concrete and definite in terms of what will happen to BlackBerry?

Will it take past the due diligence period with the Fairfax offer? Will it be later? Will it be sooner? Will it take six months to a year?

I think, personally, I'm at the point now where if BlackBerry is going to die...or change into something that is considerably worse then where they are now in terms of level of adoption, app support, platform development...I want to just know ASAP and get it over with so I can begin my own review of strategic alternatives, decide what to do with extra devices I have, cut my losses, cease buying new apps, and begin researching my next phone and ultimately future platform...

...But I don't want to do any of that if I don't absolutely have to.

I know this is asking something that is highly speculative...but are there any expert or at least informed, educated guesses out there? When will we find out what is really to become of BlackBerry?

Heh...for what it's worth, I probably can answer my own question:

No one knows, and no one will know until it is already set in motion (no pun intended). Even if Fairfax takes BlackBerry private, we realistically have no idea of what BlackBerry or Watsa has in mind in terms of "prosumer" target audiences and whether that means we loyals can still obtain new BlackBerry devices. And, we also really don't know what Watsa is really going to do for/to the company. One can argue based on his statements and past positions that he is more likely to leave BlackBerry intact, but that is just one possible outcome still. And if another company buys BlackBerry, will it be for some parts, most parts, all parts, or in its entirety? Some are more likely than the other outcomes, but no one really knows what is going on behind the lines.

I'm afraid that this is still grim old RIM we're dealing with: the company that has one foot in the grave and the other foot twitching frantically and aimlessly for survival, and in the process, kicking early adopters(...and adopters period...)in the behind.

-STV on Z10STL100-3/10.1.0.4780 TMO US
    laketrout73, JeepBB and richardat like this.
    10-06-13 09:33 AM
    I would say three months after the due diligence period. The new company will need to prepare in order to announce teh plan going forward.

Edit: which is the reason I haven't plunked down my 550 bucks for the white Q and won't plunk any money for the Z30 until plans are unveiled.
    bspence87 and STV0726 like this.
    10-06-13 09:38 AM
    It looks like you already have your answers.
    Good hunting.
    richardat likes this.
    10-06-13 09:39 AM
    I would say three months after the due diligence period. The new company will need to prepare in order to announce teh plan going forward.
    Thank you.

Let me add an addendum to my question: If BlackBerry finds and decides to act on a better offer, does/can this void waiting to the due diligence period and allow them to compete a sale or alternative sooner?

10-06-13 09:41 AM
    which is the reason I haven't plunked down my 550 bucks for the white Q and won't plunk any money for the Z30 until plans are unveiled.
    I hear ya...it is the reason I am desperately trying to sell my Q10. I am having a hard time selling it. Very decently priced for being in perfect, like new condition because it was used for like two days only, unbranded/unlocked, comes with 3 ScreenGuardz and a Seidio Convert + Holster combo case.

Wonder why I can't sell it...most likely the infamous triage: Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt.

kbz1960 likes this.
    10-06-13 09:45 AM
    When millions of people all get the same BBM at the same time saying, "Sorry although you have the best phone on the market, idiots ran the company into the ground and thus this the last message you will receive and you phone is now rendered useless. Please you see your carrier for $10 coupon towards a new phone."

Just kidding! I think we should know quickly. The best thing a new company could do is get in and be transparent quickly. Whether it means good or bad news for us BlackBerry users is a different story. But I do think we will get an idea and/or some type of roadmap quickly.

Posted via Verizon Q10 from Philly...
    10-06-13 09:48 AM
    As was advised to many 'investing' in the BBRY stock... don't play more than what you can afford to lose.

Same here, if you can't 'afford' to suddenly have a $700 obsolete device with $50 of no-longer supported apps... then it's best to hold off or play it safe and turn to the established ecosystems.

I've definitely wasted more money doing dumber things so...

Posted via CB10
    CecilTsunami, richardat and Etios like this.
    10-06-13 09:49 AM
    Thank you.

Let me add an addendum to my question: If BlackBerry finds and decides to act on a better offer, does/can this void waiting to the due diligence period and allow them to compete a sale or alternative sooner?

Without reading the documents I would say no. Fairfax has the right to counter any offers, if my memory is correct.
    10-06-13 10:03 AM
    What happened to Thosten though? He hasn't really said anything since all the major announcements has been made.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 11:31 PM
    Well, for what it's worth, we should hear on any initial expressions of interest from the alternatives to Fairfax announced over the weekend early this week.

10-07-13 12:50 AM
    Well, for what it's worth, we should hear on any initial expressions of interest from the alternatives to Fairfax announced over the weekend early this week.

I'd say hope Fairfax can pull it off. $9 a share is looking pretty good compared to what will probably happen if the deal falls through. If that happens the share price falls and a break up and sell off of the pieces becomes more likely. Fairfax seems to give BlackBerry the best hope of continuing to operate the services.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1767
    10-07-13 12:55 AM
    If stock continues to fall, FairFax will offer 50 cents above the last closing price as token of goodwill. Why pay $9 if they can get it for $7 or $8 as their priority is their shareholders. The fact that BlackBerry approached other potential buyers last week means FairFax will likely offer less than $9 or they are having issues raising capital.
    10-07-13 01:18 AM
    Some people say that NO ENTITY, not even FF, would keep BlackBerry whole.

There are so many pseudo theories, sub-theories, and sub-sub-theories, I'm ready to pull my hair out, uninstall CB10, take a leave of absence here, and just enjoy my Z10 and see what happens.

But the suspense would kill.

10-07-13 01:26 AM
    I think Blackberry's hardware days are over. If Fairfax purchases Blackberry I think the name will survive in some form or fashion. If Google, or Intel, or one of those companies buys Blackberry I think it will be sucked dry like crab legs and when done the scraps will be tossed away. The Blackberry name will cease to exist.

I think it's a safe bet to say that the Blackberry we once knew back in the mid to early end of 2000's is not coming back. That ship has sailed, or depending on how you want to word it, that ship has sunk.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-07-13 10:41 AM
    So if their hardware days are done, let's break it down:

* BBM and BlackBerry World ought to be left intact but consumer-oriented and top name apps will no longer receive updates likely

* Device warranty is standard one year, and the typical two year contract period is a good reference to use for amount of time you can expect support on a device even if it is discontinued

* Current handsets will be the last BlackBerry devices and therefore what is the point of owning them anymore? Who is gonna say...hey look at this new BBM feature on my 4 year old Z10 that isn't updated anymore?

In other words, if BlackBerry hardware is done, I'm afraid the Z10 is my last BlackBerry, and in two years give take, I must go elsewhere.

10-07-13 12:28 PM
    So if their hardware days are done, let's break it down:

* BBM and BlackBerry World ought to be left intact but consumer-oriented and top name apps will no longer receive updates likely

* Device warranty is standard one year, and the typical two year contract period is a good reference to use for amount of time you can expect support on a device even if it is discontinued

* Current handsets will be the last BlackBerry devices and therefore what is the point of owning them anymore? Who is gonna say...hey look at this new BBM feature on my 4 year old Z10 that isn't updated anymore?

In other words, if BlackBerry hardware is done, I'm afraid the Z10 is my last BlackBerry, and in two years give take, I must go elsewhere.

Two years is forever with this stuff. You'll know well before then if your next phone could be a BlackBerry or not. I'd say by the start of the year BlackBerry's future will become clear. If a deals going to happen by then it'll be solid. And likely the new owner will make some road map statements in order to reassure enterprise users.

Enterprise customers require long term support commitments, much more so than consumers.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1767
    STV0726 likes this.
    10-08-13 02:14 AM
    There's a lot of use of the biggest word in the English language in this thread (and many other threads for that matter). The word is "if". Always fun to speculate; makes for a great read. But hey, IF Mum had had a headache that night...I'd be Bob, or Harry, or Jason, or whomever. And I might be writing a post on someone else's forum. The only facts we know is that a decision on a sale process takes place in 4 weeks. What happens then has yet to be decided.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-13 02:46 AM
    Two years is forever with this stuff. You'll know well before then if your next phone could be a BlackBerry or not. I'd say by the start of the year BlackBerry's future will become clear. If a deals going to happen by then it'll be solid. And likely the new owner will make some road map statements in order to reassure enterprise users.

Enterprise customers require long term support commitments, much more so than consumers.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1767
    Hopefully this is how it pans out.

10-08-13 04:26 AM