I know this has been talked about and talked about and talked about but I still wanted to post a new thread to get as much info as possible. I have been playing around with my friend's iPhone and I know that the BlackBerry's are leap years ahead in a lot of ways... but the biggest thing I liked about the iPhone was the threaded text messaging! I have never seen easier text messaging in my life. I know we can use the "Search Sender" function and basically do something similar, but when will we just have a list of conversations like an AIM conversation?

I know this has been talked about a lot but are there legitimate plans of an update that will allow this in the near future? Or even a 3rd party application that will do this?
    04-23-08 07:31 AM
    sorry i dont fully understand what you mean. im not an iphone person at all. but on my bb, it had what i say, then the whole convo is under it... is that what you mean?
    04-23-08 09:14 AM
    I used to have a palm treo and it would handle SMS messages like a chat, which was really cool. I kind of miss that.
    04-23-08 09:16 AM
    I put "hide sent messages" to "no" under the messages options. And it shows what i send and receive. Not exactly what your looking for but kinda i guess. lol.
    04-23-08 10:07 AM
    What's wrong with adding the 7 last entries per conversation in the SMS messages option? That's almost like 'threaded' sms messaging, no?
    04-23-08 10:09 AM
    You mean jive talk like text messaging... With the green and blue bubbles. I know man it would be so much easier but I think the problem is licensing. I think the iPhone has that because they have an agreement with jivetalk that allows them to run an internal build for sms. Alas it would be nice but I don't think it will happen quite they way we want it. And that's why I have to pay $20 to register my JiveTalk when its free for an iPhone user.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-23-08 11:54 AM
    Well basically to those of you who have never used an iPhone or a Treo it would look like this. Let's say for example I'm having SMS conversations with Mom, Dad, and Brother. Well on our phone currently when we go to our inbox it looks like this:

Mom's Message
    Dad's Message
    Mom's Message
    Brother's Message
    Mom's Message
    Dad's Message

Basically in the timed order they were received. But to those of you who have used the iPhone know it would look like this:

Mom
    Dad
    Brother

And when you click on their name it would show you every text that you two had back and forth. For example if you clicked Mom it would have all the texts I've had with her, etc.
    04-23-08 05:59 PM
    That was one of the few things I liked about the iPhone too.
    04-23-08 06:11 PM
    Ohhh I understand now...and I do like that idea! A lot actually!

04-23-08 06:23 PM
    if someone developed a third party app that did this, i would buy. and i have yet to download a 3rd party app that i had to pay for, i only download freebies lOL!!
    04-23-08 07:11 PM
    What if your sending multiple texts to multiple ppl and then 1 person replies 3 times to your 3 messages? Wouldn't that get confussing? Like u send Billy Bob 3 seperate texts and then he replies 3 seperate times but they all come in 1 message..... Am I making any sense to any1?

04-23-08 11:06 PM
    What if your sending multiple texts to multiple ppl and then 1 person replies 3 times to your 3 messages? Wouldn't that get confussing? Like u send Billy Bob 3 seperate texts and then he replies 3 seperate times but they all come in 1 message..... Am I making any sense to any1?

04-23-08 11:09 PM

I understand what you're saying but they would be separated. So you could differentiate between the individual texts. The iphone currently has this feature however I couldn't find any screens to display it. These are shots of jivetalk, which I'm sure developed the thread messaging that the iphone has because it looks exactly like this. *Note these are not SMS messages they are IM conversations but the results look exactly the same*

iPhone

and this is the same image just on a more useful device

nini to answer your question look at the iPhone image. "I <3 kung fu!" and "totally " would be two sequential texts messages from the same person.
    04-23-08 11:15 PM
    I understand what you're saying but they would be separated. So you could differentiate between the individual texts. The iphone currently has this feature however I couldn't find any screens to display it. These are shots of jivetalk, which I'm sure developed the thread messaging that the iphone has because it looks exactly like this. *Note these are not SMS messages they are IM conversations but the results look exactly the same*

iPhone

and this is the same image just on a more useful device

nini to answer your question look at the iPhone image. "I <3 kung fu!" and "totally " would be two sequential texts messages from the same person.
    This is exactly what I'm talking about! How can we get our regular text messages to be in bubbles and in chat format like the JiveTalk? There has to be a 3rd party application somewhere to do this!
    04-24-08 05:00 PM
    BBM is fine with me.

I don't need bells and whistle...just the connection to whomever I'm talking too. FOR REALS.
    04-24-08 05:19 PM
    I'd love to have "threaded sms messages", cause I hate having to scroll down (to limit number of sms msgs) to look for the info I need. I'd have to go to separate text msg for the next 10 msgs.. time consuming, gurrr. I've played with my bf's Treo and loved how the text messaging is threaded.
    04-24-08 05:28 PM
    That's right I forgot that bbm is exactly how it could work. Just picture BBM with SMS. Now if I could only get RIM on the line.

04-25-08 01:19 AM
    I just don't understand how they don't have it yet. The OS has been around for how long now? It's gone through how many revisions? They've changed it to the point where the 3rd party workarounds don't even work. For as much texting as I do, I wouldn't buy a phone that didn't have threaded SMS which was one of the reasons I gave back the 8830 and stuck with Palm for now. If the touchscreen rumors prove to be true and they have threaded sms by then, I'd leave palm.
    04-25-08 03:32 PM
    I just don't understand how they don't have it yet. The OS has been around for how long now? It's gone through how many revisions? They've changed it to the point where the 3rd party workarounds don't even work. For as much texting as I do, I wouldn't buy a phone that didn't have threaded SMS which was one of the reasons I gave back the 8830 and stuck with Palm for now. If the touchscreen rumors prove to be true and they have threaded sms by then, I'd leave palm.
    I agree 100% completely. I mean it does get to be ridiculous and there doesn't seem to be any type of future change for it that's the part that bothers me the most!
    04-28-08 04:32 PM
    Anyone have anything on this or are we stuck the old school style texting forever?
    04-30-08 09:04 PM
    BB NEEDS to add this!! My wife has a Treo and this is a GREAT option. I have Jivetalk which looks GREAT but I want the same appearance on my SMS text messages. GET ON THE STICK, RIM!!
    05-01-08 12:10 PM
    Agreed.

Any expected date though yet?
    05-05-08 10:12 PM
    This is a great feature in the iPhone I do miss, but keep in mind one thing I don't miss is not being able to delete one of those messages. If I wanted to delete one, I had to delete all of it.
    05-06-08 08:21 AM
    coming from an Iphone to the BB curve i do somewhat miss this in the BB. but as jayden pointed out in the iphone u have to delete the entire convo if u wanted to del one txt. Ill stick with the BB and its only eye candy. would u prefer eye candy over functionality?
    05-06-08 10:30 AM
    Perhaps eye candy AND functionality? Allow the ability to delete specific texts within the thread - that would be a great compromise.
    05-06-08 05:42 PM
93 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD