Hi!

I'm a nursing student in Northern California and I've been researching blackberries for months and have decided to purchase one at the end of the summer. I have heard from some people that nursing programs without internet connection don't run very quickly and are a disappointment. Do the newer models have the same issues?

-------------------------
    Here's a quote from one site I looked at with the complaint:
    " I've added lexi comp to my bb pearl. I do not reccomend it!!

The problem with the software is that it needs an active signal to "pull down" data. The data is not stored on the blackberry much to my dismay. As you know, we live in a world of imperfect cell phone signals, which can even be worse in the confines of a hospital...and of course, does your polices permit the signal on the unit.

Lastly, the access is slow! I do not know why they did this with the blackberrys. They have expandable memory, so why not...ask lexi comp.

***I still fall back on my old trusty palm pilot. Bigger screen, faster access. Dependable, rugged, what more can I say."
    --------------------

I'm graduating in may '09 with my BSN and I really want to integrate an amazing device like this into my care for medication,lab, disorder, etc information at my finger tips. I'm looking to buy the new Blackberry Bold coming out later this year.

Please email me at: [email protected] if your a current nurse using this device (and any advice you might have) or if you know anything about program/internet issues. Thank-you so much!!!
    07-08-08 03:07 AM
    There are a lot of areas in hospitals that you will not be able to get a signal. Anywhere near the x-ray department, cat scan dept, mri dept, in the basement, or in the middle of the hospital (away from the windows).
    07-08-08 07:50 AM
    Please do not cross-post on the forum... you have an identical thread in another section of the forum One thread will suffice and your questions will be answered (guaranteed!)

Thanks!! And Welcome to CrackBerry!
    07-08-08 08:19 AM
    I think the issue is most hospital are built with lead which will prevent you from getting a signal,
    07-08-08 10:42 AM
    many hospitals now operate wifi networks that encompass most of the interior, so a wifi/uma equipped bb may help you out as well.
    07-08-08 04:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD