When I had the data pack on my phone I was able to get email alerts on my BB. Since removing it I haven't even though I have wireless and use that to access internet.

Does email coming straight to your BB only work with the data pack or do I need to do something different?
    05-27-09 02:11 PM
    Yes you need the data plan in order to get your emails and use the internet.
    05-27-09 02:13 PM
    I use my internet all the time with the WiFi. You don't have to have the data plan.
    05-27-09 02:14 PM
    Oh well if you have wifi then no need for one...but the only way to get your email pushed is to have wifi on 24/7 or a data plan.
    05-27-09 02:17 PM
    My WiFi is on 24/7. We have wireless in our home. I've actually rarely not had internet at all, oddly enough. I thought I was still on the data plan when I wasn't it was so good.

Hmm, I'll have to Google and find out what I'm doing wrong.
    05-27-09 02:20 PM
    My WiFi is on 24/7. We have wireless in our home. I've actually rarely not had internet at all, oddly enough. I thought I was still on the data plan when I wasn't it was so good.

Hmm, I'll have to Google and find out what I'm doing wrong.
    Without a data plan, Wi-Fi or not, you're not going to get PUSH e-mail.
    05-27-09 02:22 PM
    thank you mike!
    05-27-09 02:24 PM
    What is PUSH email mean?
    05-27-09 02:28 PM
    PUSH email is when you are having your email PUSHED(sent) to your blackberry.
    05-27-09 02:38 PM
    "push" e-mail is exactly that - your e-mails are pushed to your blackberry automatically, as they come in. This will NOT work without a data plan. The only thing you can do is via wi-fi, go to your e-mail provider's website (e.g. mail.yahoo.com) and check your e-mail there.
    05-27-09 02:46 PM
    lies.

You can activate OTA on a BES via WIFI, and even send/receive emails on a BES over WIFI. This is push, and it's pushed faster than using the cellular data plan.
    05-27-09 02:48 PM
    ok so do you have to have the blackberry service to recieve tha push email, or do can you use the regular data plan with it? because i have the regular data plan now and can do everything but the email?
    05-27-09 02:59 PM
    BIS = cheaper data plan = personal emails with web browsing capabilities.

BES = more expensive data plan = personal, AND corporate enterprise emails and web browsing capabilities.

WIFI = no data plan = personal, corporate enterprise emails and web browsing capabilities. Not 100% sure if BBIM works though.
    05-27-09 03:01 PM
    lies.

You can activate OTA on a BES via WIFI, and even send/receive emails on a BES over WIFI. This is push, and it's pushed faster than using the cellular data plan.
    Thanks for the clarification. Wasn't aware of the BES part.
    05-27-09 05:11 PM
    Thanks for the clarification. Wasn't aware of the BES part.
    Well, to be perfectly clear, the OTA Activations have to be enabled in the BES config.. by default it's disabled..

Also, you need the HRT's already ON the Blackberry, so basically you put in an active SIM, have your carrier push you the service books and the Host Routing Table, then you can remove the SIM and it'll work fine over WIFI.

And in my previous post, I didn't mean to make it sound like I was calling you a liar.. just one of those internet things..
    05-27-09 05:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD