I like to tinker, I'm a tech geek; so I get that it is cool/fun/interesting to have Google Play on BB and be able to use Android apps, but at this point why as a Bold 9900 user, would I get another BB device to run Android apps on? I think this is a bad path for BlackBerry to take, especially for those looking to upgrade/get first smartphone. When they look at the major options (iOS, Android, BB, WP) and they see that BB is lacking the apps, but the community is touting Google Play on BB as the "solution" why not just get a (cheaper) Android phone? Remember, 90% of the population is consumers and they just want it to go/work. They don't want to tinker.

I love my Bold keyboard and can't imagine having to use a screen one, but I have to be honest that the Android offerings are doing a lot more these days to perk my interest. I can't really do much until April when I hit the two year mark (of my 3 year contact) and I'm hopeful by then BB has something to wow me into doing an upgrade to them.

Just my 2c
    11-18-13 07:13 AM
    agreed. although the apps bb10 owners will use are mostly native as the android apps dont actually work. skype does... the rest pretty much dont. they r really inadequate mediocre settle for less versions of a full app when u can get a fully functioning app on another platform.

i agree this is not the way to go.. but even with this path they have chosen to take.. its not actually working anyway. im glad i have untiol dec 2014.. cos i have pretty much been converted now to the competiton... but lucky for blackberry, they have a year to change things in the app departmnet. i actually like bb10 and think its the best operatring system that exists (apart from it being a little dull, my opinion) but the app gap is too much for me... prettry much every app apart from a few that i need just doesnt exist unfortunately.
    Anthony_2u likes this.
    11-18-13 07:25 AM
    Bad path... YES.

But maybe at this point that have no other path to take.....

I find it hard to belive that they can't pay developers to build apps for the platform. But if we don't have Netflix, Instagram, Candy Crush.... either those developers are refusing at any cost or no one at BlackBerry is smart enough to understand how important a handful of major apps are. Which means they are lost anyway, so "A" path is better than no path.

Of course if you look at it from an enterprise level.... this gives them the security that some will require, while still allowing any existing or custom Android apps to run on devices. Might make sense from an enterprise only perspective.
    zeratul65535 likes this.
    11-18-13 07:26 AM
    Well, I got quite same thoughts...

Actually, even like a week or two ago I said, that even my current phone at that time was 9780 bold, my next phone had to be Nexus 5, because if price/specs/performance...

But since Blackberry dropped their price on Z10, and now, at least in Uk, you can buy Z10 for 180 pounds, I just can't see ANY android phone with such specs near by.
    So what you'll get is:
    cool BB10 OS (I loved it from the first time I used it), really good specs (I mean HD screen, 8 mpix/1080p camera, changeable battery and memory cards) for really good price.

I just do not see ANY similar phone for this price.

And now, loading android apps is easier than ever.

So why should you go to Android?
    11-18-13 07:29 AM
    I guess the whole point of allowing Android apps is to take 'the apps' out of the picture (making it a common factor on both sides of the equation--so it cancels out), and let you make a decision based on BB10's other attributes,.. which are quite favorable... but only if you give it a chance.
    11-18-13 07:30 AM

Actually, even like a week or two ago I said, that even my current phone at that time was 9780 bold, my next phone had to be Nexus 5, because if price/specs/performance...

But since Blackberry dropped their price on Z10, and now, at least in Uk, you can buy Z10 for 180 pounds, I just can't see ANY android phone with such specs near by.
    So what you'll get is:
    cool BB10 OS (I loved it from the first time I used it), really good specs (I mean HD screen, 8 mpix/1080p camera, changeable battery and memory cards) for really good price.

because the android apps dont actually work.. that is a compelling reason to change.
    Etios, bbq10l, bekkay and 2 others like this.
    11-18-13 07:33 AM
    I for one, like the BlackBerry OS much better, BB10 hasn't gotten laggy after a few months of usage, and I'm not running an octacore system.

BlackBerry has the Q10, no one else provides a good phone with a physical keyboard.

Keep it BlackBerry and bring the apps.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-13 07:35 AM
    because the android apps dont actually work.. that is a compelling reason to change.
    well, as far as I know - they do.
    and have in mind, that leak is kind of "beta" so the performance should improve as well..

And any way, Netflix,Candy Crush... well I do not use any of them...
    damien kupuku, Spawn12 and Loc22 like this.
    11-18-13 07:36 AM
    well, as far as I know - they do.
    and have in mind, that leak is kind of "beta" so the performance should improve as well..

And any way, Netflix,Candy Crush... well I do not use any of them...
    just cos u dont use any of them it doesnt mean the app gap is closed as ur needs are met. I have tried about 30 apps.. 3 work.
    11-18-13 07:40 AM
    agreed. although the apps bb10 owners will use are mostly native as the android apps dont actually work. skype does... the rest pretty much dont. they r really inadequate mediocre settle for less versions of a full app when u can get a fully functioning app on another platform.

i agree this is not the way to go.. but even with this path they have chosen to take.. its not actually working anyway. im glad i have untiol dec 2014.. cos i have pretty much been converted now to the competiton... but lucky for blackberry, they have a year to change things in the app departmnet. i actually like bb10 and think its the best operatring system that exists (apart from it being a little dull, my opinion) but the app gap is too much for me... prettry much every app apart from a few that i need just doesnt exist unfortunately.
    Netflix works, Istagram works, Google Earth works, Clash of Clans works, Tiny Deathstar works, Angry Birds Star Wars 2 works, Youtube works, IMBD works, the Chive works, Candy Crush works, Subway surfer works, Temple Run works.. Apps ive tested and have kept.
    11-18-13 07:43 AM
    I have a list of apps similar to urs (more infact) that dont work. what is your point?

My overall point is that all need to work.. and work well.. fully functional.. every single feature works.. push notificationss work! and then its classed as an app compatible with bb10. the fact that I have a list a slong as urs (and god knows how many more dont work) is to point out that this is not the solution!!!

its not a competion of how many work to the ratio of those that dont. if 100 apps exist in the world, 100 need to work perfectly. thats my point. noone should settle for less..

hence my later comment of.. this is a compelling reason to change.
    bbq10l and bekkay like this.
    11-18-13 07:50 AM
    I have a list of apps similar to urs (more infact) that dont work. what is your point?

My overall point is that all need to work.. and work well.. fully functional.. every single feature works.. push notificationss work! and then its classed as an app compatible with bb10. the fact that I have a list a slong as urs (and god knows how many more dont work) is to point out that this is not the solution!!!

its not a competion of how many work to the ratio of those that dont. if 100 apps exist in the world, 100 need to work perfectly. thats my point. noone should settle for less..

hence my later comment of.. this is a compelling reason to change.
    My point is many of the major ones do infact work with this first unlocked runtime leak. 2 of the biggest that people complain about most do work. Instagram and Netflix.
    Tabdus likes this.
    11-18-13 07:53 AM

So what you'll get is:

Most people purchasing a new phone are actually looking for a new phone. Not one that is approaching one year on the market and has been 'end of lifed' by quite a few carriers and stores.
    Bbnivende, bbq10l and chr1sny like this.
    11-18-13 07:57 AM
    My point is many of the major ones do infact work with this first unlocked runtime leak. 2 of the biggest that people complain about most do work. Instagram and Netflix.
    thats a fair point. and those r two huge apps that work!! nevertheless, there r apps just as big that dont work!! they r not as big in a popularity sense, but for my needs they r huge.. and there r justa tonne of other apps that are just not working.
    bbq10l likes this.
    11-18-13 08:00 AM
    Don't care those don't work.
    11-18-13 08:05 AM
    Personally I'd way rather use bb10 and the BlackBerry keyboard than the android os. Nice to have their apps, tho.

Posted with my shiny new Z30
    Breezygirl8 and damien kupuku like this.
    11-18-13 08:16 AM
    Personally I'd way rather use bb10 and the BlackBerry keyboard than the android os. Nice to have their apps, tho.

Posted with my shiny new Z30
    In a perfect world I'd love for the Android apps to run flawlessly, but as of right now many don't work very well. Let's see what happens with the next os leak

Sent from my Z30
    kbz1960 and bekkay like this.
    11-18-13 08:17 AM
    Honestly, I don't see this closing the app gap, but killing the touch screen models. Except BlackBerry finds a way to make their phones competitive enough price wise, why would anyone want a more expensive full touch Android phone simply because its called BlackBerry and the OS is different? You're spoilt for choice these days when it comes to Android, with fantastic prices and specs! The only people who it won't make a difference to are those that use what BlackBerry was originally known for, the physical keyboard.
    11-18-13 08:33 AM
    In a perfect world I'd love for the Android apps to run flawlessly, but as of right now many don't work very well. Let's see what happens with the next os leak
    playbookster... you keep saying there are lots of apps that don't work. Your argument would sound better if you named names instead of just repeating over and over there are lots that don't work.

I know that there are some that don't work. And ones that do "work", but still don't have full functionality. Like Candy Crush, you can't buy from the store.

The point is, right now we don't have access to a full Android ecosystem, maybe in a few months we will. So WHY would a consumer want a BlackBerry in six months? Z10 will be a year old, and most likely EOL. BlackBerry has been more reserved in production and Carriers in stocking of other devices, so you aren't going to see anymore "fire sales" like you do today with the Z10. Why would a consumer pay more for a BlackBerry with "less" hardware, to access the same Android Platform? Is the HUB enough of a reason for consumers? Is having a different UI "skin" going to be enough?
    Alphax45 and bbq10l like this.
    11-18-13 08:37 AM
    We are talking about a leaked runtime aren't we not? This means its not meant to be out for the public, because of our community some of us that are a bit more adventuristic will load a leaked OS as they become available. You cannot for the life of me think this will run flawlessly! The APK run time will need some polish, I would expect it to be very good once the OS is officially release to the public.
    11-18-13 09:19 AM
    I am of the belief that more options...more choice is a good thing. I embrace Android apps.
    srfinva and Spawn12 like this.
    11-18-13 09:22 AM
    Piggybacking on Android ecosystem is desperation move for BB. However, at this point, desperation move is the only move they have got as far as "app gap" problem goes. For people who never knew BB, or had given up on BB, getting a new BB at this point to enjoy Android apps running on top of a "player" does not make sense.
    Alphax45 likes this.
    11-18-13 09:31 AM
    The problem is Android app is not integrated well. It never works well, even 10.2.1 I hear people complaining more apps do crash or stall.

So what you'll get is:

11-18-13 09:39 AM
    Well, just to add a few things....10.2.1 has greater support for android apps. People who have loaded the 10.2.1 leak have said that android apps run really good, and they can be loaded without being converted to a .bar file. So because of this, my Z30 can run any android app without issue. I currently have 10.2, and I'm running Netflix, Instagram and a bunch of other android apps, and they work great. I'm looking forward to getting 10.2.1, so I can load remaining android apps.

So to the question about why would I want to buy a BB? Well, to me that's a pretty simple question. If an Android phone and a Blackberry phone can run the same apps, then that cancels itself out. Now we're looking at the OS as the deciding factor. I've used androids before, and I have to say that BB10 is a far better OS. Than if you add the qwerty factor with the Q10 and upcoming Q30, spending the extra money on a higher quality OS and having the option of having the best keyboard in a phone, I think it's a pretty easy decision to make. I would definitely rather spend the extra money to have a BB device, ESPECIALLY knowing that I can run any android app now.
    damien kupuku and shief24 like this.
    11-18-13 09:39 AM
    Each Android app that I have tried to run by downloading the APK has failed. That doesn't mean all of them fail, just the one's I want to use. If you find yourself wanting to run a number of Android apps, you may be better off using an Android device. I've certainly come to the conclusion that a Samsung Galaxy S4 and Note are in my future. I just wish I had made the transition a year ago. I feel like I'm stuck with two boot anchors: Playbook and Z10.

The OS leaks, while they seem to slowly improve the device, come with issues each time. The improvements to the Z10 just are coming fast enough.

David
    11-18-13 09:46 AM
179 123 ...