On the contrary, I disagreed with OP's argument, and said so in an earlier post. I'll quote the relevant part of it here so you don't have to track it down:
    Yes, I realize that, I was speaking in general terms, not directing that at you specifically. Sorry that was not clear, I suppose I did not feel the need to clarify that because you clearly expressed your position!
    badiyee likes this.
    10-12-13 11:42 AM
    THAT was a greatly reduced summary? Oh boy...

I do like reading your posts though
    LOL! Thought same thing when I finished....probably only 10% shorter - and 68% more sloppily written! OH well...think one can get the general points even what if - such as - grammer and speling and; sentence structure - such as - poor...I put a hyphen in front of some lines so that makes it ok! ;-) I beleeve Americans such as, should help the Iraqi's...or Americans, because many of them don't HAVE maps....
    anon(5624621) likes this.
    10-12-13 11:48 AM
    Yes, I realize that, I was speaking in general terms, not directing that at you specifically. Sorry that was not clear, I suppose I did not feel the need to clarify that because you clearly expressed your position!
    Sorry, I didn't know you had seen my earlier post. The post you were responding too, taken in isolation, certainly could have given the impression that I agreed with the argument OP was making. I should have been more clear there.
    10-12-13 11:49 AM
    I have a question regarding point 4. Why do you feel we need to start some type of campaign for app makers to listen when BLACKBERRY not even doing anything or communicating . What is going on with 10.2 or bbm? Instead of people bugging developers or rogers etc maybe that energy should be used to find out what blackberry has going on.
    and
    A very good point; loyal customers should be asking BlackBerry what they are doing, instead of trying to do their job for them. What is BlackBerry working on now? They have been very, very quiet for months now.
    I am keeping in touch with my BlackBerry contacts and seeing what is happening. Not as much information is coming out right now, but they are busy trying to keep the company moving forward and dealing with potential changes etc.

But while I wait to see what BlackBerry is doing (and other than ask questions and provide moral support) I cannot affect that outcome. So rather than wait and see, I choose to do what I can to help. If no one else wants to help or step up, then they have to accept what they get. I want to see what I can do to make things better and they only way I see helping right now, is one app at a time. If we can succeed in getting one vendor to reply and acknowledge the platform, then we will have succeeded and we can then try the next one and then the next one and so on. Forget the nay sayers, forget the doom and gloom, will you step up to the challenge and help? Will everyone step up and help?
    badiyee likes this.
    10-12-13 02:19 PM
    Sorry if this offends all of the Sunday School Teachers, but we forgot one topic:

How The Shorts are the reason for all of BlackBerry's problems.
    10-12-13 02:22 PM
    I'm relatively new here, though I've lurked for a lot longer than I've had an account. I---who likes BB and recently bought a Q10 unlocked despite everything---actually find the "toxic threads" entertaining, because I like to argue and I like to watch arguments. On a very similar thread, I made an observation that I'm about to reiterate here:

This is a common problem across the internet in a variety of contexts, especially in forums focused specifically on a topic/idea/product. There are basically two types of people who come to forums like these. Or at least...it's a spectrum between two poles. One pole is the enthusiast pole. People close to this pole are people who are here because they want to bond over a product they like, have constructive discussions about what they like about it, what they're going to do with it, and generally be enthusiastic about a common topic/product of interest.

There is another pole: the Argument Clinic people. They want to prognosticate the future, defend/attack ideas, deploy their awesome rhetorical skills, vent their disappointments---or explain why other people shouldn't be disappointed---and so on. As I said, I kind of belong more in this category, at least in terms of how I click on thread titles

There is a communication problem. The Argument Clinic people cannot understand why the Enthusiasts are frustrated with them and with the forum. The Argument Clinic people think that the Enthusiasts are head-in-the-sand ostriches, suffering from "epistemic closure" to reality, and wanting to police debate so that real and pressing issues cannot be discussed. And some of the Enthusiasts really *are* head-in-the-sand ostriches, but there's not a few of them who *know* the problems, but don't feel they need to be reminded of it or that they should constantly have to defend their enjoyment of the product or have the constant experience of a seeing a fly in their soup.

I sympathise somewhat with the Enthusiasts, although personally I find pure Enthusiast forums rather boring myself, because I am an Argument Clinician. They didn't come to a (what they see as a) BlackBerry-fansite to have their mellow constantly harshed by complainers. The Z10 and Z30 and Q10 are darn good phones---not perfect, and evidently not very popular, but so? They think, why can't people just agree to enjoy them, or to leave a space for this kind of emotional bonding and satisfaction, instead of carping every single time about the way that Thor betrayed their obviously doomed Playbook or whatever?

So, instead of an Armchair CEO forum, what the moderators should actually have done was create an BB Enthusiast forum, where discussion of the WHERE THE COMPANY FAAAIIIILED is verboten, and people can finally enjoy the technology they like...
    badiyee likes this.
    10-12-13 02:43 PM
    and

I am keeping in touch with my BlackBerry contacts and seeing what is happening. Not as much information is coming out right now, but they are busy trying to keep the company moving forward and dealing with potential changes etc.

But while I wait to see what BlackBerry is doing (and other than ask questions and provide moral support) I cannot affect that outcome. So rather than wait and see, I choose to do what I can to help. If no one else wants to help or step up, then they have to accept what they get. I want to see what I can do to make things better and they only way I see helping right now, is one app at a time. If we can succeed in getting one vendor to reply and acknowledge the platform, then we will have succeeded and we can then try the next one and then the next one and so on. Forget the nay sayers, forget the doom and gloom, will you step up to the challenge and help? Will everyone step up and help?
    I'm sorry man but I totally disagree and think that's ridiculous. You put "If no one else wants to help or step up, then they have to accept what they get". Look man when I bought my z10 at launch I purchased a phone...NOT a second job. Your phone is supposed to be a item that helps you through your daily life. Not something you need to campaign for when BLACKBERRY itself is not being vocal. Like I said..where is bbm 4 all? 10.2 update? Members keep putting other people post as you put "doom and gloom " ..those are not doom and gloom it's reality.
    10-12-13 03:06 PM
    So, instead of an Armchair CEO forum, what the moderators should actually have done was create an BB Enthusiast forum, where discussion of the WHERE THE COMPANY FAAAIIIILED is verboten, and people can finally enjoy the technology they like...
    After reading your post I'm not surprised to see your conclusion, and as you might expect I have the exact opposite opinion. This website was created for the enthusiasts you would banish to the corner. Sorry, not going to happen.
    :>)
    10-12-13 04:10 PM
    If this Site is set up base on OP perimeters, it will not be sustainable. Even the busiest Internet websites will rehashed and regurgitate news and subjects. There's only so much to talk about, let alone a Site dedicate of all things BlackBerry. What other topic to discuss except the current condition the company is facing? By the way, corporations are not people, so the analogy of BlackBerry receiving negative reviews cannot be compare to a reaction of a human at a hospital.
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    10-12-13 04:15 PM
    I don't agree always with what Thunderbuck and richardat have to say, but I'll defend to death both of your rights to say it on your soapbox or even in a prepper's bunker with canned goods, nutella, and ammo. (paraphrasing Voltaire)

With or without BlackBerry, the sun rises and sets, the world continues, it's just a smartphone.
    10-12-13 06:37 PM
    I'm sorry man but I totally disagree and think that's ridiculous. You put "If no one else wants to help or step up, then they have to accept what they get". Look man when I bought my z10 at launch I purchased a phone...NOT a second job. Your phone is supposed to be a item that helps you through your daily life. Not something you need to campaign for when BLACKBERRY itself is not being vocal. Like I said..where is bbm 4 all? 10.2 update? Members keep putting other people post as you put "doom and gloom " ..those are not doom and gloom it's reality.
    I agree that BlackBerry needs to be more vocal and I wish there was an easy way for that to happen. But I also don't want to sit back and wait to see what happens. Maybe it is inevitable, maybe it isn't, but when someone (anyone) asks me "what did you do to make things better", I personally want to say I did more than just buy a phone (and you are absolutely entitled to say that if that is what you choose, I personally want to say I did more). I don't expect anyone else to do something, but if you or anyone else or a lot of anyone else's, help (even a little) then who knows what will come of it.

Maybe my analogy would be this:

• My team is losing the game 5 to 0. The team is tired and there are only a few minutes left in the game. The odds are we won't win, but I am still going out and try my hardest to get a goal.
    • Why bother trying? I could just let the other players try to get the goal? What will the effort accomplish?
    • Because... It helps the team in many ways if you go out and play hard and give it everything you've got. You can walk away from the game and say you played your best and tried your hardest. If you get a goal, then you can be proud of that achievement. It may help motivate and lead the team for the next game. It shows others around you that you are part of team, the pride you take in that team and that you will support that team despite the odds being against you.
    • That is the team I want to be part of!
    10-12-13 09:40 PM
    I for one, find relentlessly negative posts, even if reasoned and logical, of little value to the community. Of course I simply add the poster to the ever growing ignore list. As all communities should do. Don't censor, shun.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-13 10:09 PM
    I have to go with Thunderbuck on this one. Yes, it is only a phone but the same principles apply to any community. There is a fuzzy line between constructive criticism and whining but we know when it's clearly at one end of the spectrum or the other and when it's full-on whining it's a drag; it is toxic. Some people have retorted with a classic 'reductio ad absurdum' by suggesting (however sarcastically) that some members want to go to the other extreme but no reasonable person is suggesting that. I believe the goal is to push back against the wall of negativity that builds up from time to time and I really applaud Thunderbuck for speaking up on this issue.

And there's nothing wrong with using an analogy to re-frame an argument when the limits of the analogy are quite obvious. As gogurt48 said earlier, Thunderbuck was "not asserting an equivalence" between a person and company struggling for survival and it was specious, to say the least, to suggest he was. But he was right to suggest that there are parallels between the attitudes in both cases. No reasonable person is calling for the abolition of criticism but a lot of us are getting quite tired of that particular brand of unnecessary, unhelpful and oft-repeated negativity. If you want BlackBerry to fail then I don't particularly want to hear from you and if you want it to succeed then offer constructive criticism, a suggestion or two and maybe highlight something they're doing well. And please don't pretend that you know more than you do about multi-billion dollar tech industries.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-13 10:18 PM
    I for one, find relentlessly negative posts, even if reasoned and logical, of little value to the community. Of course I simply add the poster to the ever growing ignore list. As all communities should do. Don't censor, shun.

Posted via CB10
    Ignore is not useful when using the CB10 app.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1767
    bradu1 likes this.
    10-12-13 11:43 PM
    Addressed previously, but it's NOT "just a phone", it's a platform and a company that I've followed, and on which my livelihood is at least slightly dependent on. I care what happens here. That does not make me resistant to constructive discussion.

"Opinion"? Sure. My contention here is that at least some of these threads aren't coming out of "opinion" at all, but because the poster is well aware that raising the topic will stir bad feeling in the community.
    Switching to another platform will not affect your livelihood. Its not that serious. Calm down.

I'm sure all the WebOS people figured that out by now. Why haven't you?

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 4
    10-13-13 02:05 AM
    Switching to another platform will not affect your livelihood. Its not that serious. Calm down.

I'm sure all the WebOS people figured that out by now. Why haven't you?

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 4
    Heh, the illogical in the logical. Some people treat things they like in a dear way. Not just objects, ideas, entities, etc. If switching was that easy, then people would have switched to iOS, every single human being, and then to Android OS, and nobody would have even bothered to look at BlackBerry, and ignored even the Windows Phone OS, or the Joila Sailfish, or Firefox OS, or Tizen. Because logically, they are better to switch to, and it would not affect lifelihood. It is not that serious.

Except, there are people's perception to that, but you cannot call them illogical.
    10-13-13 03:11 AM
    After reading your post I'm not surprised to see your conclusion, and as you might expect I have the exact opposite opinion. This website was created for the enthusiasts you would banish to the corner. Sorry, not going to happen.
    :>)
    Problem is that the Internet was from the very beginning an Argument Clinic---it's been baked into it ever since the wild daze of USENET. It's easy to avoid it when you're on the upside, but impossible on the downside. Almost any topic can be turned into an Argument Clinic, and it's very hard to police across the whole site. Pure Enthusiast sites are ghettoes that have to be very carefully curated. It's the only way Enthusiasts can avoid the Argument Clinic. I doubt that the moderators here are going to do the constant work of pruning the Argument Clinic parts of threads across the entire site.
    10-13-13 05:26 AM
    There's a stench in this thread...

Posted via CB10
    10-13-13 08:19 PM
    There's a stench in this thread...

Posted via CB10
    A toxic stench?

:-)

Posted via CB10
    10-13-13 08:20 PM
    One person's stench is another's napalm in the morning.
    10-13-13 08:23 PM
    It's gettin' all Apocalypse Now in here!!

Posted via CB10
    eddy_berry likes this.
    10-13-13 08:27 PM
    A toxic stench?

:-)

Posted via CB10
    Yeah you know the kind that can't smell their own... ;-)

Posted via CB10 on my 10.2.0.1725 w/ unlocked Android Runtime Q10 BLACKBERRY Smartphone

Posted via CB10
    10-13-13 08:28 PM
    I hate all these toxic complainers!

Just don't click into the damn thread!! It's that easy. Seriously

Sent from my BlackBerry - remember me!
    Last edited by rohetaku; 10-14-13 at 03:46 AM.
    10-13-13 08:39 PM
123 ... 345