Ok; here is my situation:

Canadian, using a Bold 9900. Trying to stick with BlackBerry to show my love of my country, but to be honest they are not making it easy!

Onto the "meat" of my post:

I am becoming more and more tempted by each new Android phone announcement. It seems (in my view) BlackBerry is not doing enough to keep/catch up. I'm in contract, so I can't leave without giving the carrier a ton of money - so I will stay with BB for the foreseeable future, but from what I see they will suffer from "death by 1000 cuts". For example:

- Google Now integration with the OS (Moto X has done this very well)
    - Apps (Not in the normal sense. I see contests on TV/other media and the app is 99% of the time iOS and Android only. Starting to feel left out)
    - Hardware (BB needs to step up in the specs race. Regardless of what the OS needs to run well, the specs matter.)

I said this on Twitter a while ago but I really think BlackBerry needs to play dirty. Take an iPhone 5S and a Samsung Galaxy S4 (when they come out), take the engineers, lock them in a room and don't let them out until they make a phone that does what both those can do AND something else to really WOW the public. Make BB king again!

Feedback appreciated
    MasterOfBinary, kbz1960 and Fnen90 like this.
    08-06-13 10:20 AM
    I said this on Twitter a while ago but I really think BlackBerry needs to play dirty. Take an iPhone 5S and a Samsung Galaxy S4 (when they come out), take the engineers, lock them in a room and don't let them out until they make a phone that does what both those can do AND something else to really WOW the public. Make BB king again!

Feedback appreciated
    I think companies do this already. This is the best way to know the competition and how you measure up against it. There's nothing wrong (legally or morally) with this. It's only an issue if you blatantly copy them. But other than that, I'm sure people at Samsung headquarters have iPhones, HTC devices and other manufacturers and same for others.
    08-06-13 10:33 AM
    Google Now: what you call very well integrated, I call creepy.

Apps: 99% are for iOS and Android is well and good, but how many of those do you need? If even one app that you need isn't on BBOS and the alternative/workaround (like going to the mobile website, etc.) is not amenable to you, then perhaps you should get a different phone.

Hardware specs: most customers--average customers--don't buy phones based on specs, or at least knowing why they would (or, most likely would not) need the octa-core, 2GB phone for. I'd say they look at price and ecosystem over hardware specs.
    08-06-13 10:34 AM

Feedback appreciated
    Thorsten Heins stated in the past that he's carried an iPhone and Galaxy S3 to see what the competition is all about and the experiences they offer. At this point, they either get it or they don't.
    raino likes this.
    08-06-13 10:41 AM

Canadian, using a Bold 9900. Trying to stick with BlackBerry to show my love of my country, but to be honest they are not making it easy!

I am becoming more and more tempted by each new Android phone announcement. It seems (in my view) BlackBerry is not doing enough to keep/catch up. I'm in contract, so I can't leave without giving the carrier a ton of money - so I will stay with BB for the foreseeable future, but from what I see they will suffer from "death by 1000 cuts". For example:

- Apps (Not in the normal sense. I see contests on TV/other media and the app is 99% of the time iOS and Android only. Starting to feel left out)
    - Hardware (BB needs to step up in the specs race. Regardless of what the OS needs to run well, the specs matter.)

Feedback appreciated
    I wouldnt confuse love of country for love of a company Remember, BlackBerry isnt Canada and while you may love that they are based in Canada, dont handicap or make yourself unhappy if you need/want something else.

I have used Android, iOS, and BlackBerry, with the focus being on BB. But I did recently purchase (day after it came out) a Nexus 7, and I do genuinely enjoy using it. Will Android replace BB for me? No, I like BB10 on phones much better than I do Android, but that doesnt mean both dont have their uses.
    08-06-13 10:47 AM
    Aw come on. You know if BB had something like Google Now (perhaps they could name theirs BlackBerry Agenda?) people here would eat it up. It's pretty incredible. I love having traffic and flight notifications pop up in my task bar. I've tracked packages from amazon. I've scouted out new restaurants. It's how I start my gps navigation now. I get Royals scores and play-by-plays. I can view things like my next calendar appointment and the weather. I've just never seen a more comprehensive "mobile personal assistant" that actually does what I need it to when I need it to.

Happy 3K posts, btw
    08-06-13 10:48 AM
    Could not have said it better myself:
    I've just never seen a more comprehensive "mobile personal assistant" that actually does what I need it to when I need it to.
    08-06-13 10:55 AM

Apps: 99% are for iOS and Android is well and good, but how many of those do you need? If even one app that you need isn't on BBOS and the alternative/workaround (like going to the mobile website, etc.) is not amenable to you, then perhaps you should get a different phone.

Hardware specs: most customers--average customers--don't buy phones based on specs, or at least knowing why they would (or, most likely would not) need the octa-core, 2GB phone for. I'd say they look at price and ecosystem over hardware specs.
    Don't confuse what you think is important to what others. You may not need or want a lot of apps but a lot of people do. Even if they don't use them, they like having the choices and the developer support. And while I agree with you about hardware specs but Blackberry shouldn't release a phone with inferior hardware and price it the same and manufacturers who think those do matter. Also those specs become an easy selling point for sales reps to customers who are undecided about devices. So when blackberry is lacking in both of these categories it doesn't make their product more appealing. So while I don't disagree with your statements completely, I do disagree with the assumption that those things don't matter because they do. Perception means a lot.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    08-06-13 10:55 AM

Feedback appreciated
    Specs are really not that important. My Z10 performs the same and better in most cases then the GS4. The Z10 specs are blown away by the GS4 specs but my Z10 runs circles around the GS4. Specs mean nothing if the software is crap. BB10 is far suppior to android. Android fans brag about specs too bad the software cant take advantage of the harware. Do specs matter some what they do but, as long as performance is there that is what really matters. Android has the specs but subpar performance compared to Apple or BB10.

I think all companies take appar the compitions hardware to see what they are doing.
    08-06-13 10:57 AM
    First of all, love of country cannot possibly be expressed by love of a phone or the company that makes it

Second, what you are suggesting is a recipe for disaster. You are basically saying take the existing leaders (iPhone 5 or GS4 or whatever else is selling well) and duplicate what they do now. Well by the time that is done Apple and Samsumg will have advanced 2 or three moves and BlackBerry will have another outdated model on its hands.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    08-06-13 10:57 AM
    Aw come on. You know if BB had something like Google Now (perhaps they could name theirs BlackBerry Agenda?) people here would eat it up. It's pretty incredible. I love having traffic and flight notifications pop up in my task bar. I've tracked packages from amazon. I've scouted out new restaurants. It's how I start my gps navigation now. I get Royals scores and play-by-plays. I can view things like my next calendar appointment and the weather. I've just never seen a more comprehensive "mobile personal assistant" that actually does what I need it to when I need it to.

Happy 3K posts, btw
    I see your issue. Royals
    grover5 and pantlesspenguin like this.
    08-06-13 10:58 AM

Happy 3K posts, btw
    That's true. At first I was skeptical about Google Now but it's pretty helpful. I've avoided several traffic jams because of it and I didn't have to go looking for it. It just told me because it knew I was about to leave from work to go home. Giving me score update for my teams. Again, I don't have to check. It just tells me. Sure this can be done individually for certain apps, but to have 1 app do all of it, it's a pretty good service. Anyone who think's it's creepy either shouldn't provide any data to ANY company or never used it. Blackberry has the same data about it's customers. They just don't know how to use it to make good products.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 08-06-13 at 01:04 PM.
    08-06-13 10:59 AM
    Don't confuse what you think is important to what others. You may not need or want a lot of apps but a lot of people do. Even if they don't use them, they like having the choices and the developer support. And while I agree with you about hardware specs but Blackberry shouldn't release a phone with inferior hardware and price it the same and manufacturers who think those do matter. Also those specs become an easy selling point for sales reps to customers who are undecided about devices. So when blackberry is lacking in both of these categories it doesn't make their product more appealing. So while I don't disagree with your statements completely, I do disagree with the assumption that those things don't matter because they do. Perception means a lot.
    I notice sales man will try and sell customers their preference regardless what specs the phone has.
    08-06-13 10:59 AM

Happy 3K posts, btw
    3000 posts! Didn't even notice that.

I agree that if "BB Agenda" came out, the forums would declare it the greatest creation since pantless penguins, but you have to also factor in that Google, as a business, wants this information. Do others collect everything else too? Probably. But their business bottom lines are not contingent upon serving up ads to you.

You misunderstood my point about apps. In fact, I was telling the OP to figure out which ones he needs, and if they aren't on BBOS, then jump to another platform.

I partly agree with the pricing point part of your hardware argument. You can't price your phones as high as the competitors, unless you know people will buy it just because of the name, or unless you bring something else to the table that they would be willing to pay the premium price for. BlackBerry, unfortunately did not meet either criteria last quarter. Maybe the Q10 numbers will get a whole lot of the niche crowd, but I don't think that's happening. The reps are going to push specs or whatever else that makes them a sale. That doesn't necessarily mean the customer needs those specs for his/her usage. But in the end, you are right about perception, unfortunately.
    08-06-13 11:14 AM

Feedback appreciated
    OP...I read this and had to check my profile history to make sure it wasn't me that wrote it a few months ago. I went through your process exactly. even so far as coming from a 9900.

Good luck.
    Alphax45 likes this.
    08-06-13 11:20 AM
    After using two different Android devices, I must say I don't miss their features 100%.

What I miss:
    Battery info: which app is draining it
    Apps: some of them, like waze, instagram which currently have some compatibility issues, but confident this will end soon
    Camera: some features
    Google integration: gmail, drive, keep, etc

All above can be "used" on BB10 so it's ok.
    08-06-13 11:21 AM
    3000 posts! Didn't even notice that.

I agree that if "BB Agenda" came out, the forums would declare it the greatest creation since pantless penguins, but you have to also factor in that Google, as a business, wants this information. Do others collect everything else too? Probably. But their business bottom lines are not contingent upon serving up ads to you.
    I really don't think Google's schtick is about ads anymore. I only see ads in free 3rd party apps. If ad revenue is what they were after they'd have ads everywhere, on the lockscreen, in the notification bar, after you send an email, etc. I really think that now they're focused on giving you information when you want it, so that you'll make purchases through their service. Say I'm looking at my Google Now. I can make purchases right there. It's giving me the Royals scores (hush, Buzzie), and it's also giving me an option to buy tickets. It's giving me information for nearby events, and also giving me information to purchase tickets for those as well. I'm not sure where it would take me to purchse those since I haven't tried it out, but even if it takes me to, say, the Royals box office I'd assume Google would get a kickback from my purchase since I was routed through Google Now.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    08-06-13 11:28 AM
    My opinion? Don't buy the phone just because it's Canadian, buy a phone that you want.
    scorpiodsu likes this.
    08-06-13 11:30 AM

Happy 3K posts, btw
    Off topic, but is it better than Siri?
    08-06-13 11:32 AM
    I really don't think Google's schtick is about ads anymore. I only see ads in free 3rd party apps. If ad revenue is what they were after they'd have ads everywhere, on the lockscreen, in the notification bar, after you send an email, etc. I really think that now they're focused on giving you information when you want it, so that you'll make purchases through their service. Say I'm looking at my Google Now. I can make purchases right there. It's giving me the Royals scores (hush, Buzzie), and it's also giving me an option to buy tickets. It's giving me information for nearby events, and also giving me information to purchase tickets for those as well. I'm not sure where it would take me to purchse those since I haven't tried it out, but even if it takes me to, say, the Royals box office I'd assume Google would get a kickback from my purchase since I was routed through Google Now.
    Google now is the ultimate way to gather additional information on each user for targeted ads when using search etc. The more data they aggregate, the more information is displayed, the closer it matches to your interests/likes/wants, the more likely you click on those little boxes
    grover5, raino and Rowan M like this.
    08-06-13 11:32 AM
    Off topic:
    In my experience significantly. If you use google services now, and turn on your search history, it will start pouring tons of data into the cards that is relative to you. Not just data for data's sake.

Back on topic:
    The best way to help BlackBerry is to tell and SHOW them their faults. Whether that means voting with your wallet or not is up to you.
    08-06-13 11:34 AM
    Google now is the ultimate way to gather additional information on each user for targeted ads when using search etc. The more data they aggregate, the more information is displayed, the closer it matches to your interests/likes/wants, the more likely you click on those little boxes
    Oh I totally agree about trying to closely match your interests/likes/wants. I'm just saying that the ad displays are not very intrusive, so it's not like you're being inundated with ads every time you perform a task on an Android device like some people would like to believe (not in this thread, to be clear). And perhaps really all the information in Google Now that comes in the form of suggestions (area events, etc) can be seen as ads in disguise. And maybe I just need to broaden my own definition of what an "ad" is.
    08-06-13 11:43 AM
    I think it's a completely different beast. AFAIK with Siri you need to specifically tell it to do a task. GN tries to predict what you need when you need it, so it eliminats the search step. Instead of asking Siri "How is traffic on I-435 East?" a card pops up before I leave the office showing how many minutes it'll take me to get home and how heavy the traffic is.
    08-06-13 11:46 AM
    I notice sales man will try and sell customers their preference regardless what specs the phone has.
    Guess it depends on where you go. Some salesman will tout the device the prefer, some will make suggestions based on things that the user wants and then others will say stuff like "it has a great 5 inch HD screen" and so on to "wow" the customer. I have mostly experienced the first and the latter. I've seen so many reps try to turn away people from devices they actually came in for.
    08-06-13 12:04 PM
    Very different from each other. Siri is made to provide you information after you ping it. And you can send texts and stuff with Siri. Can't do that with Google now. Google now basicially just pushes info to your phone based on things that you have preferenced and data from emails, calendar, contacts, etc. Very different from each other. On the iPhone I use both.
    MasterOfBinary likes this.
    08-06-13 12:08 PM
48 12