Stopped by my local AT&T store today to grab an extra home wall charger for my Classic. Had a nice side by side set up of the Classic and Passport. The employee who helped me out said that everyone makes fun of her for "wanting a Passport". So here's the point:

She said she's waiting until she has it as her work phone to really try it out. I inquired why she hasn't had it yet? She told me that employees each get a work device to use and rotate monthly, etc. when new devices were available. This was not news. Here's what was news to me:

*They cannot use BlackBerry's as their work devices. Their work devices require company specific apps. These apps are not downloaded from traditional app stores. They use MobileIron and in turn push apps to their employees. She said since they use MobileIron, BlackBerry devices were not options.

Not sure the validity of that part, but she did show me her Samsung work phone and pulled up MobileIron and showed me how she "force checks ins her device" for new apps. I use an iPad for work with MobileIron and a company specific app store.

Anyways, my point is that I stopped by Verizon just for sh1ts and giggles and they told me they use MobileIron as well. So how can we expect sales people to really ever get excited about or even recommend a device they don't have an opportunity to really try out like all the other devices they get to mess around with?

Posted via CB10 with my AT&T Classic
    Mecca EL and Deitzanova like this.
    06-10-15 10:51 PM
    Why would the employees get excited to sell a device to consumers, when Blackberry isn't targeting the said consumer?

Posted via CB10
    silversmith75 and MikeX74 like this.
    06-11-15 12:36 AM
    Stopped by my local AT&T store today to grab an extra home wall charger for my Classic. Had a nice side by side set up of the Classic and Passport. The employee who helped me out said that everyone makes fun of her for "wanting a Passport". So here's the point:

She said she's waiting until she has it as her work phone to really try it out. I inquired why she hasn't had it yet? She told me that employees each get a work device to use and rotate monthly, etc. when new devices were available. This was not news. Here's what was news to me:

*They cannot use BlackBerry's as their work devices. Their work devices require company specific apps. These apps are not downloaded from traditional app stores. They use MobileIron and in turn push apps to their employees. She said since they use MobileIron, BlackBerry devices were not options.

Not sure the validity of that part, but she did show me her Samsung work phone and pulled up MobileIron and showed me how she "force checks ins her device" for new apps. I use an iPad for work with MobileIron and a company specific app store.

Anyways, my point is that I stopped by Verizon just for sh1ts and giggles and they told me they use MobileIron as well. So how can we expect sales people to really ever get excited about or even recommend a device they don't have an opportunity to really try out like all the other devices they get to mess around with?

That's really interesting. Good find.

Posted via my gorgeous red Passport
    06-11-15 04:26 AM
    Interesting. So when BlackBerry says they want to repair their relationship with carriers it means more than sending educated reps. That must explain why BES 12 is being pushed so hard.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-15 04:39 AM
    Why would the employees get excited to sell a device to consumers, when Blackberry isn't targeting the said consumer?

Posted via CB10
    Do you think the employee cares who the device manufacturer is targeting? They only care about new activations, period. So if they, like most representatives prefer iOS or Android that's what they will sell the features and benefits of. If they are using a work device and really enjoy it, they'd be more likely to recommend it too the consumer coming in. However, like I said...The store reps don't have the freedom to use BlackBerry as their test/store device. And YES, BlackBerry is targeting Enterprise, but I'm sure they'd love to have consumers buying from carriers or they wouldn't have devices sold in stores. Enterprise users for the most part don't purchase from a store, but rather have a corporate rep or BlackBerry rep.

06-11-15 07:32 AM
    Well BlackBerry sales reps (hahahaha) should be working over Verizon corporate hard with BES12 pricing incentives, migration support, etc. But that doesn't fit their highly regulated customer target model so.....

Posted via Z30
    06-11-15 07:36 AM

Posted via CB10
    And why not?

Posted via CB10
    06-11-15 08:06 AM
    And why not?
    Because BB recognizes that there are too many areas of consumer interest where BB10 isn't now and won't in the foreseeable future be able to compete with the market leaders - including for example: apps, services, and third-party accessory support. Not being supported by MobileIron is just one example. Not having Netflix or Snapchat or Google apps or MS Office are others. Not being supported by SmartWatches, or having something comparable to Car Play or Android Auto are still others.

Obviously those things aren't enough to stop the hard-core super-dedicated BB fans who prioritize the OS itself over all of these other things, but that group continues to shrink, not grow. Normal consumers clearly aren't swayed by the Hub and other OS features - the numbers reflect this. Thus, BB has withdrawn focus from the consumer market and concentrated their efforts on regulated enterprise, their strongest market and where they have the best shot at success. If consumer sales happen on their own, great, but BB isn't going to spend much money or expend much effort to try to make that happen - their money and effort will be focused on enterprise sales. (This is paraphrased from BB's own statements on the matter.)
    MikeX74 and mornhavon like this.
    06-11-15 09:16 AM
    Do you think the employee cares who the device manufacturer is targeting? They only care about new activations, period. So if they, like most representatives prefer iOS or Android that's what they will sell the features and benefits of. If they are using a work device and really enjoy it, they'd be more likely to recommend it too the consumer coming in. However, like I said...The store reps don't have the freedom to use BlackBerry as their test/store device. And YES, BlackBerry is targeting Enterprise, but I'm sure they'd love to have consumers buying from carriers or they wouldn't have devices sold in stores. Enterprise users for the most part don't purchase from a store, but rather have a corporate rep or BlackBerry rep.

I love my BlackBerry as much as the next guy, but get your head out of the sand. BlackBerry is clear on its strategy. As far as the consumers and carriers are concerned, it is a matter off throwing stuff out there, and hoping it that it sticks.

When Blackberry again takes an interest in it's consumer sector, the carriers and the everyday John-doe, will again be excited in the brand.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-15 10:28 AM
    I love my BlackBerry as much as the next guy, but get your head out of the sand. BlackBerry is clear on its strategy. As far as the consumers and carriers are concerned, it is a matter off throwing stuff out there, and hoping it that it sticks.

When Blackberry again takes an interest in it's consumer sector, the carriers and the everyday John-doe, will again be excited in the brand.

Posted via CB10
    Wait, "...head in the sand". Do a little research first. Go into a store, ask them what device they use. If they say iPhone ask if they ever used Android and they will either reply yes, then tried iPhone at work and loved it or will say never tried Android. If they say they use Android ask if they used iPhone and you'll hear the same sentiment. Most of these reps have a personal device and usually decide on that device based on learning about it while they have it as a work device.

So my point is REGARDLESS of BlackBerry targeting, big business doesn't throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks. If employees were given BB10 devices for a month just like they get all other devices, they would be more likely to "possibly" enjoy the experience, "maybe" get one of their own, but in the very least "potentially" recommend them as a good choice to certain customers.
    06-18-15 08:12 AM
    As far as the consumers and carriers are concerned, it is a matter off throwing stuff out there, and hoping it that it sticks.
    Posted via CB10
    I dont get this statement. Blackberry has tried to keep tweaking things for its customers throughout this whole period since the release of BlackBerry 10, and nothing can break through the anti-BlackBerry sentiment in this country, even a better + cheaper phone than everyone else.

Posted via CB10
    06-20-15 01:29 AM