I just received a random out of the blue thank you email from RIM thanking for me sticking with Blackberry. Have any of you else received this email?

I am also curious to know where RIM got a hold of my email address. Do they have access to it through their servers?
    11-18-10 09:09 PM
    I got one a few hours ago and are as confused as you are about why they sent it...

I think, at least for me, is when you download an OS from the BlackBerry site you're forced to put your information in. At the bottom is that notice "would you like to receive updates from RIM" or something like that. It's checked by default, so to opt out of it you need to uncheck it. I'm sure that's how they got mine. I think there's the same kind of thing in DM too.
    11-18-10 09:16 PM
    If it helps, I didn't opt out and I haven't received anything from RIM. I've received communiques from them before, just not today. And never a thank you from them.
    11-18-10 10:34 PM
    If it helps, I didn't opt out and I haven't received anything from RIM. I've received communiques from them before, just not today. And never a thank you from them.
    HA Does it make you feel a little unwanted that you didn't get one? Maybe they forgot about you? Maybe they waiting until tomorrow to send you your thank you? Or maybe, you're just not cool enough for one

Here's the email if you want to read the lovely thank you from RIM

11-18-10 10:57 PM
    Yeah that's the email I got. I remember when I DL'ed DM from blackberry.com I choose not to receive anything from RIM but I upgraded to official OS 5.0 for the Storm using DM, I don't remember any opt out options for anything there.

I guess they get our emails using their systems and linking the device PIN to an email, or something like that. Or they got the info from Verizon showing that's the device I'm using.

Not a big deal, but it's so random that I got curious is anyone else got it too. I'm guessing they are trying to show more interaction with customers to battle off any thoughts of going iPhone or Android.
    Last edited by Mr. Marco; 11-18-10 at 11:06 PM.
    11-18-10 11:04 PM
    Maybe people are getting these based upon their post counts here at CrackBerry.
    11-19-10 12:03 AM
    Can't be it as my crackberry account email address isn't the one that is connected to my device. It has to be something like I stated above. RIM can track what email address is connected to which device using a device's PIN #. I'm wondering if those who have multiple email accounts connected to their device received the thank you email multiple times, one per inbox.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-19-10 01:08 AM
    HA Does it make you feel a little unwanted that you didn't get one? Maybe they forgot about you? Maybe they waiting until tomorrow to send you your thank you? Or maybe, you're just not cool enough for one

Here's the email if you want to read the lovely thank you from RIM

LOL I didn't until you said that - you'd think some sort of thanks would be in order for not ditching them after almost 3 months of BIS issues.

And now that I think about it, I left the option checked the first one or two times I downloaded software - but I think I've said no every time after that, or at least every time to my knowledge. So maybe I've hurt RIM's feelings.
    11-19-10 01:21 AM
    I would say it is tied into the download link. I recently downloaded the latest OS for my Tour. I had switched e-mail addresses on RIM's site and it sent the same message above to the new e-mail address.
    11-19-10 07:14 AM
    People, could it be ... spam? I mean, it kind of looks like an advertisement masquerading as a thank you note, lol.
    11-19-10 07:16 AM
    People, could it be ... spam? I mean, it kind of looks like an advertisement masquerading as a thank you note, lol.
    I'd say no, considering it's being sent to those who set the option to receive notifications/offers from RIM in the future.
    11-19-10 07:36 AM
    Well, even if it's not unsolicited, it still looks like an advertisement made to look like a thank you note.
    11-19-10 07:42 AM
    Fine print........

"You are receiving this email as a valued BlackBerry Internet Service user. If you do not wish to receive future email communications about RIM and/or BlackBerry products or services, you may opt-out by clicking here or by writing to:

Unsubscribe GBO, Research In Motion Limited, 295 Phillip St., Waterloo, ON, Canada, N2L 3W8."

Once link is clicked -

Update Marketing Permissions As a BlackBerry customer, you will continue to receive transactional or relationship messages and customer service related notifications."
    11-19-10 07:53 AM
    I received two of them yesterday. A Thank You notice and an information and Would you like to receive New Product Information? I've had them from time to time, so not terribly unusual.

11-19-10 07:56 AM
    I got nothing - ridesno must be right, it's probably based on coolness
    11-19-10 05:25 PM
    I've gotten it in one of my emails and oddly enough one that is brand new. The only thing I have it associated with regarding the berry is my mobihand acct so that might be it.
    11-19-10 06:58 PM
    I never use correct information when downloading BB device or desktop software.

11-19-10 09:02 PM
    I must not be in the cool group either. No worries, always been a loner...minus my wife and 4 kids, haha!

11-20-10 09:07 AM
    I got this message today on one out of 4 emails on my device. I opt out of everything when prompted. I also know this email address is not associated with anything I ever sign up for. So I wonder if it's some kind of spam or virus maybe? Can we be sure it came from blackberry actually? I did not even open the email out of worry it may be a virus, I came to this forum first.

11-23-10 08:45 PM
    I got this message today on one out of 4 emails on my device. I opt out of everything when prompted. I also know this email address is not associated with anything I ever sign up for. So I wonder if it's some kind of spam or virus maybe? Can we be sure it came from blackberry actually? I did not even open the email out of worry it may be a virus, I came to this forum first.

Does it have the BlackBerry logo when you first open the mailbox it's in? If yes it's OK.
    11-23-10 08:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD