So I found out that my Curve has one of the highest cell phone radiation ratings, and I got myself a Jawbone to get myself away from the phone, or at least my brain. Will this Jawbone have radiation as well coming out from it, and if so, does anyone have any information about radiation levels and bluetooth headsets?
    12-30-07 05:42 PM
    All Electronics have radiation!
    12-30-07 06:17 PM
    I have the curve as well. I never once worried about radiation, most of my communicating comes from text/data anyway and when I am on the phone most of the time I use my headset. However, I am curious to see the radiaton ratings and how much it will actually effect me with both the phone and the bt headset

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-30-07 06:20 PM
    I've been experiencing headaches and slight nausea when I use my Curve 8310 for even a couple of minutes. It's worse when I'm carrying it in my purse for extended periods of time. I had a little Nokia for years, and I found that when I held the phone next to my head, I would feel a localized headache, but it would go away if I put the phone on speaker and held it away. With my Curve though, it seems to be more persistent. When I called AT&T to ask if they knew anything about this, the customer service person said it was the first time she heard about it (headaches, etc.). One of the things she did mention was that since it's constantly connected to the internet, it's going to be continually sending out signals.

I too saw the radiation rating on CNET. The Curve 8310 is #10 in the top ten phones with highest radiation. It's a 1.51, and 1.6 is the highest level that's legally allowed in the US. Maybe I should change phones? Has anyone else ever experienced this?
    01-14-08 01:24 PM
    If the FCC said the legal limit is 1.1 and the Curve was .8 and #10 on the list. Would that make us want to get rid of the phone?
    01-18-08 11:25 AM
    A friend that I work with is so sensitive to radiation that he can tell you when he passes one of the old deactivated Air Force Nike sites. I can understand how you may be affected, annsong.
    02-24-08 06:31 PM
    Its all in your imagination.. Studies have shown that cell phones and radiation do not cause problems with users. Besides, radiation levels high enough to make you ill or give you headaches would cause more permanent damage and merely taking the phone away from your head would not clear it up. Sorry to be so frank but your headaches are not from your cell phone. It may be related to your phone usage but that's called placebo. You can convince yourself that thinking about ducks gives you headaches and every time you think of a duck you'll get a headache.

02-24-08 06:40 PM
    miakeru you just brought back a fond memory. I visited a dentist??? one time that preped me for a filling. 20 minutes he came back and started work and I told him I felt pain and he told me it was my imagination, for heavens sake.
    02-24-08 06:50 PM
    If you seriously believe that the radiation from a cell phone is causing physical ailments that can be fixed by moving it away then you should probably coat your house in tin foil, remove your microwave, and never go outside. You can spend hours in Chernobyl and not have any side effects so I'm incredibly less inclined to believe that a cell phone is making someone ill.

Comparing direct pain from drilling in your tooth to imagined illness from something proven to be safe is interesting.

Keep in mind that the minute levels of radiation that phones give off and the many more times minute differences that other models may have will not cause noticeable effects on you. If someone gives you the benefit of the doubt and assumes that the headaches are directly related to your phone usage its still not feasible to imagine that differences between phone models would be noticeable and other sources of greater radiation would not cause any issues.

02-24-08 07:00 PM
    And hey.. At least it's not #1 right? Haha. I'll take the radiation as a trade off for a sweet phone.

02-24-08 07:10 PM
    I don't believe that the radiation is enough to do any more harm than breathing our air or drinking our water. If in doubt, go cell free.
    02-24-08 07:20 PM
    I suspect there is some confusion, there is a big difference between radiated signal strength and radio active decay.

There is no ionizing radiation comming from a device. Manufactures learned the hard way, before the dangers of radiation were known. Workers died of radiation poison from painting watch dials.

There is radio frequency energy present, that is how it works it's magic.

Is RF energy harmful? That question has been researched and no negative effects have been documented.

We are surrounded by it all day and have been since Marconis time.

02-24-08 08:27 PM
    If radiation from cell phones is a problem then I'll probably be the first to die. I keep mine in my coat breast pocket.

Uh oh. Chest pain at 29.. Hmmmm..
    02-24-08 08:37 PM
    Its all in your imagination.. Studies have shown that cell phones and radiation do not cause problems with users. Besides, radiation levels high enough to make you ill or give you headaches would cause more permanent damage and merely taking the phone away from your head would not clear it up. Sorry to be so frank but your headaches are not from your cell phone.
    100% correct.

Funny story. Totally true. I worked in a company a few years ago where I ran the west coast and I had a counterpart based in Chicago who ran the midwest for our company. As the two regional managers for 2/3rd of the company, we talked almost every day.

One day I'm driving in Los Angeles and my Chicago friend is driving in Chicago near where Motorola's plant is. All of a sudden, he starts completely laughing his head off. Just completely laughing his head off. When he calmed down enough to talk, I asked him what was so incredibly funny. He said that he had turned a corner and looked into a huge valley with a million pigs in a pasture. Ok, what was so funny about that I asked? Well he told me that every single pig had a cell phone attached to their heads. Apparently Motorola routinely did these tumor tests on pigs whenever they brought a new series of cellphone to market. What they would do is strap cell phones on pigs' heads and jack up the cell phones to give off more radiation than the average person would ever get in a million years. When the pigs were sent to slaughter, they'd autopsy the pigs' brains in search of tumors. Apparently these tests never once produced any problems.

My friend told me it was the most hillarious thing you'd ever see, driving around a corner to look down into a pasture with a million pigs all looking like they were talking on cell phones.

I apologize if this story offended any vegetarians. But it is funny.
    02-24-08 10:20 PM
    damn hypochondriacs...this thread can't be for real :P big ups to miakeru and stoner for a fantastic reply, def' goin' to put lots of paranoid people at ease...wireless.forever, i'll be tellin' your story for years...it's pure jokes, lol
    Last edited by cellulou; 02-26-08 at 05:09 PM.
    02-26-08 05:04 PM
    A friend that I work with is so sensitive to radiation that he can tell you when he passes one of the old deactivated Air Force Nike sites. I can understand how you may be affected, annsong.
    Oh my God. I'm not trying to be mean, but this is just complete nonsense.

Must be a total crisis for you to get this friend to the dentist once a year.

Your friend can NOW claim to be affected by deactivated sites because they are deactivated and he can now know where they are. I wonder how much these sites affected him before they were shut down and when their locations were extremely confidential and highly guarded?

I grew up in a section of California where there were nuke missle sites and nuke missle storage and no one knew any of it was even there. I know know that one site was just minutes from a home I used to own.

If your friend had this incredible power, he'd have been in HUGE demand up until the end of the 80s by the Pentagon and the CIA. Even today, if his power is so accurate to sense missle radiation, he'd never again have to worry about a job. I'm sure Israel and many other nations would pay him HUGE bucks to be on retainer.

Assuming his senses are as real as he claims.

It's easy to maybe have a political bias against the military and NOW claim to have some incredible power of sniffing out radiation, but for most people, this claim is just ... well impossible to believe especially if you know the most elementary basics of science.
    02-29-08 03:03 AM
    damn hypochondriacs...this thread can't be for real :P big ups to miakeru and stoner for a fantastic reply, def' goin' to put lots of paranoid people at ease...wireless.forever, i'll be tellin' your story for years...it's pure jokes, lol
    Thanks. It is funny.

There are risks in life. People need to be aware of their environment. But for anyone who has done the research, this cell phone paranoia is crazy.

I had an aquaintance once who was always on his cell-phone radiation kick. He also believed Coke had a secret plot to route plumbing throughout America so that homes would eventually be installed with hot and cold running water and a 3rd pipe for Coca-Cola. He also had some odd thoughts on a conspiracy Starbucks had to take over the world. He was a nut.

If try to watch what I eat, drink and inhale. I avoid bad food. I try and drink filtered water. I avoid sitting behind trucks belching out exhaust fumes at red lights. There are many concerns we can and should have about modern life. Cell phone radiation is not anywhere to be found on my list of concerns.
    02-29-08 03:15 AM
    This person that is so affected by deactivated nuclear sites must also never be able to go outside. I'm sure the radiation from the Sun would make it just impossible to get anything done! The fact that he has been outside (to drive by the nuke sites, after all) makes me think he's one of those people with a NASA Sun suit... you do realize that the Sun gives off a pretty good amount of radiation that we all are subjected to daily, right?

What did you think a Sun burn was caused by, heat? No. It's caused by the radiation emanating from the Sun causing burns. It's a low-level radiation burn.

And yeah, if he's sensitive enough to get a headache from a deactivated nuke site (key word being deactivated) I'm sure he'd be in very high demand with the current nuclear tension with other nations around the world.
    02-29-08 06:26 AM
    This has probably been the best thread ever. I don't think I've laughed so hard, so early in the morning. =)
    03-03-08 06:26 AM
    If you should stop and think about the number of things that gives Radio Frequency Interferance (RFI) then none of us would be alive today. The biggest of RFI happens to be the Sun, next comes everything Electrical, including TV, Microwave, AM/FM stereo and your Car just to name a few. Oh, so does a Pacemaker, it also need some type of Electrical supply.

03-04-08 06:20 AM
    Just for clarification, RF energy can and WILL harm/kill you if its strong enough. Stand next to an HF radio antenna when keyed and you will be getting hit with 400 watts of RF that WILL harm you.Cell phones are regulated to what, 2watts I believe or something like that.

RF energy and its affects are actually very well documented, cell phones though are controversial. There is no conclusive consensus either way actually but they have linked cancer in mice to cell phone like RF levels of exposure in one recent test.

If I could get an equivalent phone in a lower SAR rating I would, however my new BB Curve being ranked #10 still didn't stop me from getting it.

04-10-08 04:48 PM
    Trade your Curve for an 8830 if your that worried. Its rated at only .63. I see my Pearl is right up there with the Curve! Living on the edge!
    04-10-08 07:54 PM
    OK, so you really need to think about these things before making silly comparisons.

The type of radiation at Chernobyl is completely different. How can you compare microwave to gamma, alpha, beta, and neutron radiation? The scattering cross section (interaction) are completely different. Furthermore you are talking acute vs. chronic which isn't a valid comparison either.

If you seriously believe that the radiation from a cell phone is causing physical ailments that can be fixed by moving it away then you should probably coat your house in tin foil, remove your microwave, and never go outside. You can spend hours in Chernobyl and not have any side effects so I'm incredibly less inclined to believe that a cell phone is making someone ill.

Comparing direct pain from drilling in your tooth to imagined illness from something proven to be safe is interesting.

Keep in mind that the minute levels of radiation that phones give off and the many more times minute differences that other models may have will not cause noticeable effects on you. If someone gives you the benefit of the doubt and assumes that the headaches are directly related to your phone usage its still not feasible to imagine that differences between phone models would be noticeable and other sources of greater radiation would not cause any issues.

04-16-09 11:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD