Hey, i've finally decided to get my first blackberry tomorrow but i have a few questions before i wanted to ask before i do so. Firstly i wanted to start with saying that this site is amazing have looked at it over the past few days when deciding what to get. As i'm a bit of a social network and text message addict i've decided to go for the Curve 8320 on orange uk. My questions are:

1) Has anyone on orange uk using the curve had their sms messages limited to 160 characters?
    2) I really like the idea of having an IM client on my phone, however which is the best one considering all my contacts use MSN messenger, and is it possible to have this running all the time?
    3) I'm going for the 8320 as this the one that orange do how easy is it to get a bluetooth GPS receiver working with the phone?
    4) And finally one of the main reasons for em doing this is i am fed up of my current phone which is an LG viewty due to the appalling menu's and battery life what battery life do people get out of their blackberry's?

Thanks in advance to any help, and again this site rocks!!!!
    05-31-08 09:25 PM
    Hey, i've finally decided to get my first blackberry tomorrow but i have a few questions before i wanted to ask before i do so.
    Smart move and welcome!!!!

Firstly i wanted to start with saying that this site is amazing have looked at it over the past few days when deciding what to get. As i'm a bit of a social network and text message addict i've decided to go for the Curve 8320 on orange uk.
    Great choice for you.

My questions are:

1) Has anyone on orange uk using the curve had their sms messages limited to 160 characters?
    All SMS messages (simple message system) are limited to 160 characters. Actually, you won't be sending/receiving many of these with a Blackberry, because you'll either want to use an IM client, or Blackberry messenger which will be "free" if you have unlimited data.

2) I really like the idea of having an IM client on my phone, however which is the best one considering all my contacts use MSN messenger, and is it possible to have this running all the time?
    The best if you have accounts on different networks is probably JiveTalk (BeeJive :: JiveTalk mobile messenger - instant messaging to go), but it is also the most expensive. There are some free, and lower cost alternatives, but most seem to like the UI (user interface) of JiveTalk best.

If you don't need MSN, you can just use the free GoogleTalk, and I believe Yahoo has one out for free too.

3) I'm going for the 8320 as this the one that orange do how easy is it to get a bluetooth GPS receiver working with the phone?
    If the 8320 doesn't have a GPS built in like the 8820, then you'll need a GPS puck, and they are very easy to setup, but read the directions.

4) And finally one of the main reasons for em doing this is i am fed up of my current phone which is an LG viewty due to the appalling menu's and battery life what battery life do people get out of their blackberry's?
    Battery life is excellent on Blackberries! You can even get extended batteries for most models if you like, but they really aren't a requirement. I generally charge on average every 1.5 days, depending on use. Your mileage may vary. Some get a couple of days, others get only a day depending on use. But, you should never need to change batteries or charge before the day is out, IMHO.

Others may have other better insights.
    05-31-08 10:15 PM
    Patrick,
    Man dude, when you explain something, you explain it completely. Nicely done again and again.
    05-31-08 10:39 PM
    i agree with waugh. bett life excellent.
    05-31-08 11:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD