Hi everyone, sorry if someone has posted this already I couldn't find anything.
    I wanna get Smart guard for my new blackberry, and it sounds like a pretty awesome program for keeping you device safe or track able in case you loose it,
    But I have some questions before I purchase it.

First of all. I want to know if the application takes up a lot of space on the device, and also if it is running in the background all the time.
    If it does, does that cause the device to slow down? And if so how much slower is the device?

Second I want to know about its back up features, how is this done? And what is backed exactly? Is Over the air? Or to the memory card?
    if it is over the air, where is the backed up information? On my computer? Is it backed up online? Does the ota backup slow the speed of the device down?
    And how is the information backed up? Is it the same file format as the desktop manager?

Any answers to these questions would really help! Thanks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-07-09 11:28 PM
    soo no one will help me out here? lol
    10-11-09 01:02 AM
    I'll take a stab at some of your questions. I barely notice smrtguard running in the background. I don't see a big impact on my memory and it definitely does not slow my BB down. I have it set to backup my information every night and I do not notice any changes in my BB's function during the backup.

I believe everything is backed up onto smrtguard's secure server so when you log on to smrtguard online through your pc, you can see all your contacts, sms, etc. I'm sure others can answer your questions more in detail but you should also check out smrtguard's website.
    10-11-09 01:31 AM
    First of all. I want to know if the application takes up a lot of space on the device, and also if it is running in the background all the time.
    If it does, does that cause the device to slow down? And if so how much slower is the device?
    Personally I do not notice it running. And it does not take up much memory. I have an 8320 and I'm sure if it slowed it down, I'd notice it.

Second I want to know about its back up features, how is this done? And what is backed exactly? Is Over the air? Or to the memory card?
    if it is over the air, where is the backed up information? On my computer? Is it backed up online? Does the ota backup slow the speed of the device down?
    Backups up contact, SMS and Emails, and your call logs (pretty much everything your native blackberry apps saves to the phone).

Yes it saves OTA and this is not to replace backups to the computer using the DM. As for the backup process, I also have my BB backup everyday while I'm sleeping, but I also run the backup right before I install new apps, in case something goes screwy. And it's rather fast and does not slow my phone down. but then I'm not one to try to backup, make 20 phone calls and txt at the same time, while going for an all time high score on Tetris.

And how is the information backed up? Is it the same file format as the desktop manager?
    As far as I know you can restore OTA as well to the phone or a new one, and can export the saved info in XLS or CSV formats, (neither of which I have done), so I do not know how well that works for fishing info out to do something with it, but again it's not suppose to replace using the DM, but to supplement it as a second backup option. It does not back up thrid party apps or their data.

If you have questions that are not answered in this thread, you can ask the makers of SmrtGuard here:
    SmrtGuard :: Your Smartphone Guardian�
    10-11-09 02:29 AM
    I'll take a stab at some of your questions. I barely notice smrtguard running in the background. I don't see a big impact on my memory and it definitely does not slow my BB down. I have it set to backup my information every night and I do not notice any changes in my BB's function during the backup.

I believe everything is backed up onto smrtguard's secure server so when you log on to smrtguard online through your pc, you can see all your contacts, sms, etc. I'm sure others can answer your questions more in detail but you should also check out smrtguard's website.
    thank you so much for your reply i appreciate it!
    10-11-09 10:17 AM
    Personally I do not notice it running. And it does not take up much memory. I have an 8320 and I'm sure if it slowed it down, I'd notice it.

Backups up contact, SMS and Emails, and your call logs (pretty much everything your native blackberry apps saves to the phone).

Yes it saves OTA and this is not to replace backups to the computer using the DM. As for the backup process, I also have my BB backup everyday while I'm sleeping, but I also run the backup right before I install new apps, in case something goes screwy. And it's rather fast and does not slow my phone down. but then I'm not one to try to backup, make 20 phone calls and txt at the same time, while going for an all time high score on Tetris.

As far as I know you can restore OTA as well to the phone or a new one, and can export the saved info in XLS or CSV formats, (neither of which I have done), so I do not know how well that works for fishing info out to do something with it, but again it's not suppose to replace using the DM, but to supplement it as a second backup option. It does not back up thrid party apps or their data.

If you have questions that are not answered in this thread, you can ask the makers of SmrtGuard here:
    SmrtGuard :: Your Smartphone Guardian�
    thank you very much, the info was very helpful!!
    10-11-09 10:18 AM

but then I'm not one to try to backup, make 20 phone calls and txt at the same time, while going for an all time high score on Tetris.
    HAHAHAHA!

Well i have quite a few apps ALWAYS running in the background, (usually about 6, g talk, aim, y messenger, youmail, viigo, and berry weather) so smartgard would be in addtition to of all those. so you think my berry will freeze on me? lol
    10-11-09 10:24 AM
    recently downloaded this app. I find if i try and locate the phone in my home no google map appears on the pc. Is this normal? it worked well from my office pc with the phone in the office. Thanks
    10-16-09 05:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD