A couple of weeks ago my i removed an IT policy from my cousins blackberry using this laptop.

Yesterday, I was going to install 5.0 for my 8900. I had connected my blackberry to DM, backed it up, and saved the back up. I had something come up so I couldn't finish the update. As I'm out and about, I realize some apps weren't working and I received a firewall message. Right there and then I knew it. An IT policy was on my phone. (Pissed)

I downloaded the current version of my phone's OS viat the at&t website and was going to install it thinking that the default IT policy that i created to remove my cousins blackberry would do the trick but it's not working out that way. It won't recognize that there is an OS there for me to re-install.

So my question is, If I delete DM, and anything associated with RIM on my computer, will that IT policy be deleted as well? I'm assuming it got there when I plugged in the other Blackberry, but how?

Anyhoo, thanks for listening me vent!

Thanks in advanced!
    07-31-10 12:35 PM
    Deleting and reinstalling DM won't remove an IT Policy. You also can't "catch" one from another BlackBerry. It's not like a virus. An IT Policy is normally pushed by your employer. If you aren't on a BES, that's not what happened to you either. Go to Options / Status and type BUYR. If you see a line that says, IT Policy: Enabled, then you have an IT Policy.

If all you've got is a locked firewall, it's possible that another app did that. Did you recently install WorldMate? Users have reported it locks the firewall.
    07-31-10 01:11 PM
    Indeed. I do have an IT policy.

So then I wonder how I could have gotten one by connecting my personal PC to my BIS provisioned blackberry? The older phone that I removed the IT policy from was one that was given to me by a friend that at one point had been connected to a BES. I was pretty certain that the policy could have somehow gotten onto my PC while removing it from the other phone so I'll take your word for it. I am going to reinstall DM and go through the policy removal steps and try to install 5.0.

Thanks for your advice, and also thanks for the BUYR tip!
    07-31-10 01:35 PM
    My husband has dl'd application via getjar that locked his firewall before. He no longer has that phone but how would someone go about unlocking a firewall should this happen???

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-01-10 06:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD