I did a search and can't find an answer to this question.

When you do the "Switch Device Wizard", what information gets transferred to the new device and what doesn't? Does it transfer 3rd party applications? Profile settings? Calendar entries? Contacts? Messenger buddies?

Thanks!
    08-14-08 04:33 PM
    Everything gets transferred from one device to the other.
    And the best part is you don't have to re-add your BBM
    contacts, or any of your other IM contacts. It is pretty seamless
    08-14-08 04:38 PM
    Right, to elaborate on that (just did that yesterday) you can transfer info + applications or just info, you will get to choose.

Paul
    08-14-08 05:00 PM
    That's great! So what about like ringtones that I have assigned to certain people, and what I have set as my alerts for text messages, messenger alerts, etc? I will be ecstatic if all that transfers.
    08-14-08 06:42 PM
    That's great! So what about like ringtones that I have assigned to certain people, and what I have set as my alerts for text messages, messenger alerts, etc? I will be ecstatic if all that transfers.
    Nope, your good, it will stay the same.
    08-14-08 06:51 PM
    How do you use the switch device wizard to transfer everything to your new phone. Thanks!
    08-14-08 07:37 PM
    Open DM, connect Old device and hit SDW, let it run.
    When it prompts you disconnect old device, connect new
    device, hit next and let it run.
    08-14-08 07:40 PM
    How do you use the switch device wizard to transfer everything to your new phone. Thanks!

The Desktop Manager walks you throught it.

PaulRosenthal, thanks for the info - that is all kinds of exciting. I should have know BB would make it that easy.
    08-14-08 07:42 PM
    Sorry to hijack your thread, but I have to replace my 8310 under warranty, but I have to pick up the new phone/give them my old phone at the store.. Can I run Switch Device wizard on my old phone up until the part where it asks you to plug in the new phone, then disconnect, go to store and get new phone and come home and plug in new phone.

Would that work?

thanks!

Jason
    08-14-08 11:41 PM
    Thank you!
    08-15-08 05:02 AM
    Sorry to hijack your thread, but I have to replace my 8310 under warranty, but I have to pick up the new phone/give them my old phone at the store.. Can I run Switch Device wizard on my old phone up until the part where it asks you to plug in the new phone, then disconnect, go to store and get new phone and come home and plug in new phone.

Would that work?

thanks!

Jason
    Since they are the same phone, open Desktop Manager and back up your phone. When you receive the new phone, open Desktop Manager and restore it.

Paul
    08-15-08 08:15 AM
    Cool. Thanks Paul. I wasn't sure if that would work or not!

Cheers

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-15-08 09:31 AM
    Open DM, connect Old device and hit SDW, let it run.
    When it prompts you disconnect old device, connect new
    device, hit next and let it run.
    I'm trying to use the Switch Device Wizard on the new BB Desktop Manager v4.6 and every time I get to the screen where you need to chose Palm device or Windows Mobile, none of the selections are highlighted. I have both my BB Curve and the Palm T/X connected, as well as my Palm Desktop Manager running. Why can't I click on a highlighted selection? I desperately want to get my Palm contacts on here so I can start using Outlook with my BB.

Help!
    08-26-08 06:40 PM
    PS: I have Windows Vista, if that matters. I tried exporting the info. from my Palm to an Excel file, for import to Outlook but got stuck on the transfer to Excel. I have hoping I could just use the switch device and go from there. Grr.
    08-26-08 07:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD