I know BlackBerry phones are oriented towards business, and people who use their phones for communicating and not just apps (apps are bonus, imo only when I'm bored..), but do apps like Facebook, Twitter and the like cost money to use? My step brother, who is a die-hard Apple user (he has a Mac and iPhone 6, etc...), told me that all these fun apps cost money on BlackBerry's. I made the comment that one reason why I want the new BlackBerry Classic is because of the great security that will come with it, and his reply was: "BlackBerry is only great with security because you can't use Facebook, or Twitter or any good apps (unless you pay for them)" It made me re-think my purchase of it...

I'm new to the whole Smartphone thing, and really don't know what phones have what. Sorry for the noob-ish question.
    10-31-14 10:14 PM
    Probably referred to the BlackBerry Internet Service subscription that plagued/bolstered (the jury is out) old BBOS phones.

BB10, on the other hand, has no BIS. Regular old WiFi/cellular data for everything plus pre-installed Facebook and Twitter apps, so no extra charge for anything.
    10-31-14 10:16 PM
    And if you use wifi you can use (some) apps like Facebook and Twitter for free

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 10:18 PM
    Simple answer, those apps are free and there's more.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 10:35 PM
    Hi Jody, Welcome to CB

Smartphone requires data connection for browsing internet thru browser and for Apps which require internet connection like Facebook, Twitter. This data connection is possible thru your cellular provider data package (normally billed as per usage), Home wi-fi router (normally billed as per terms with ISP) and public wi-fi hot spots (generally free but at times billed).

Application like Facebook and Twitter are provided either by Device manufacturer (like Facebook in BB10 by BlackBerry) or the service provider them self (like Twitter in BB10 by Twitter Inc). They are free. Also there are some third party developers provide apps to use the above mentioned services (like Blaq for twitting) which you have to buy one time.

So if you use BlackBerry provided Facebook app in BB10 devices using a free public hotspot, your each penny is saved. If you use Blaq to tweet using a cellular data connection, it will cost.

Btw, Its 100% similar to using iPhone.

Cheers.
    keepit dry likes this.
    11-01-14 02:10 AM
    JodyTJ, your step brother is wrong. That simple. These apps are all free and using a BB10 is cheaper than iPhone because it uses less internet (but that doesn't matter if you're on wifi)
    11-01-14 03:27 AM
    JodyTJ, your step brother is wrong. That simple. These apps are all free and using a BB10 is cheaper than iPhone because it uses less internet (but that doesn't matter if you're on wifi)
    The only reason why a BB10 phone would use less data, is because it lacks all of the apps an iPhone customer uses.

Apart from that, they are virtually the same, in terms of data usage.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 03:50 AM
    The only reason why a BB10 phone would use less data, is because it lacks all of the apps an iPhone customer uses.

Posted via CB10
    Oh....OK....

Z30 144GB
    11-01-14 04:10 AM
    Data use will depend on what you are doing.
    Download a 2mb file on anything will use 2mb?

Z30 144GB
    11-01-14 04:17 AM

Posted via CB10
    Actualy no. I wish I could find the article, but iOS uses more than other platforms I think. It has something to do with syncing everything to the cloud and some other stuff I didn't pay attention to.
    11-01-14 12:18 PM
    Thanks for the replies! He probably was talking about the BIS, so looks like I'm getting the Classic. Again sorry for the noob question, just starting to get into the Smartphone world. :P
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    11-01-14 12:31 PM
    Enjoy your Classic and post back with your thoughts.

Oh, and welcome to CB.

"Z30 STA100-2 UK" 10.2.1.3442 Get's a Ten from Fen.
    11-01-14 12:49 PM
    Contrary to popular belief we have only 1 iphone in our company. Every single month, the data usage of this device is approx 35 percent more than the other 14 BlackBerry bb10 devices hands down. It just doesn't add up to say they are the same.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 01:20 PM
    Contrary to popular belief we have only 1 iphone in our company. Every single month, the data usage of this device is approx 35 percent more than the other 14 BlackBerry bb10 devices hands down. It just doesn't add up to say they are the same.

Posted via CB10
    If it's only one then he might just be a bigger user then the rest the way to prove it would be if there is 20 bb10 and 10 iPhone users or vice-versa and the bb10 would be using 35% less then it would prove something.
    But I personally see by myself that when I used my iPhone I used more data then when I used my BlackBerry but I can't prove his

Z30STA100-3/10.2.1.3289
    11-01-14 01:46 PM