Hey everyone, I have a quick question about when I get one of the new BBs coming out soon. I have a newish Bold 9650 in really good condition and after I get my new device I was planning on giving my current bold to a family member or friend (or selling it), but I was wondering what would happen with my BBM and my PIN. Will my info stay on the device or will it all copy onto the new device (for example, if someone tried to bbm me would it still go to my old device, or will my new PIN update on all the BBs of my contact list?) basically what I'm asking is if I wipe the device after I use the device switch wizard will it be like a new phone and not have any connection to my BBM and stuff?

Thanks, and sorry if I was kinda rambling, its hard to explain in text...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-14-11 03:31 AM
    If you transfer your data using Device Switch then all your contacts will be updated onto your new phone. Although your PIN has changed your bbm contacts will be active on your new device & your contacts shouldn't notice a difference. If you have any friends that you PIN message with they will have to be advised of your new PIN.

You can go ahead & do a security wipe on your old phone & it will be wiped & restored to factory settings.

06-14-11 06:36 AM
    Make sure your email is deleted off your old device.

06-14-11 07:37 AM
    ^ thanks for the responses. I don't PIN message with any of my contacts, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks again!
    06-14-11 02:56 PM
    Since both bbm and pin messaging came up in this topic, I'm hoping someone can explain pin messenging to me. Why would someone use pin messenging when he can just use bbm?

06-14-11 05:28 PM
    Since both bbm and pin messaging came up in this topic, I'm hoping someone can explain pin messenging to me. Why would someone use pin messenging when he can just use bbm?

You don't need BBM to send Pin-to-Pin, so there's no setup, adding of contacts, etc. I don't need you to accept me or me accept you. It's kinda like texting from device to device.
    06-14-11 05:34 PM
    You don't need BBM to send Pin-to-Pin, so there's no setup, adding of contacts, etc. I don't need you to accept me or me accept you. It's kinda like texting from device to device.
    Another good communication option to keep in mind. Thank you for that! Does it use BIS?

06-14-11 06:32 PM
    I would say that PIN messaging is like email between BBs (think of your PIN as your 'email address') where BBM is Instant Messaging between BBs. PIN messages only show up in your messages folder & is usually in Red to be able to be distingushed from email. It is also known as peer-to-peer messaging.

And to answer your question - yes it does use BIS.

Another good communication option to keep in mind. Thank you for that! Does it use BIS?

06-14-11 10:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD