Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 229
Like Tree102Likes
  1. Oneshortsleeve's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    282 Posts
    Global Posts
    287 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default Question for the die-hard BB fans

    I will preface this by saying I was once a huge BB supporter but switched to Android after my 9700. It is my history with BB that has had me surfing CB checking out the hype over BB10. After reading what seems like tons of posts expressing excitement over the updated BB OS, I can't help to think how the update is going to effect the hardcore BB fans.

    Like many here, loved my Blackberry for the keyboard and battery. I was also convinced BB was a tool and everything else was a useless toy. But as I read these posts over the past week, I am getting the impression that most of this excitement is over BB becoming more like its competitors...something that has been criticized for years in this community. For example, games on other devices has drawn criticism around here, but as more information comes out about BB10 people are anticipating the idea of games being available on BB10.

    What interests me most is that when I think BB I think keyboard. I realize a keyboard BB10 will be available, but I feel the flagship device will be the touchscreen. How is this going to affect BB's biggest strength?

    It seems as though BB is doing a 180...revamped OS and form factor, but the excitement here is bigger than ever. Why? Later this year RIM will introduce a phone and OS that a BB fan would not be able to pick out of lineup. It will be completely different than what you love right now and it will be more like its competitors. Does the excitement over the updated phone seem premature or is this more about RIM?
    Last edited by oneshortsleeve; 05-11-2012 at 08:12 PM.
    jegs2 and andre20100 like this.
  2. albee 1's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,047 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,051 Global Posts
    PIN
    3302D65A
    #2  

    Default

    If you own a playbook as well as a blackberry phone you won't have a hard time transitioning. After the initial release RIM has stated that a BB10 device with a keyboard will be released. Believe me everything that BB holics love will still be there, only on steroids! I am definitely going to make the jump as soon as the keyboard model hits the deck.
    Thanked by:
    BB_Bmore (05-13-2012) 
  3. _StephenBB81's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    8,236 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,251 Global Posts
    #3  

    Default

    Thor did say we are not abandoning the Keyboard, and they just received a patent for a new keyboard.

    On CB there is a large portion of people who are not BlackBerry traditionalists, They came to BlackBerry for the Storm, left for Android/iOS and have never left CB, those people are excited for the chance to see RIM get back in the touch game.

    Users like me, I am excited for RIM to get into the touch game because that is the market leading form factor, Ford Couldn't abandon the Mid Sized car market and expect to remain a dominate player in the Automobile industry, but you don't think Mid Size Car when you think Ford, RIM needs to do this with the Slab phone, make a fresh splash, and attract the NON die hard RIM fans back to the platform then make the device the die hard traditionalist will love.

    As for becoming a gaming device, Games actually help Enterprise device advancement, Game programmers push limits Enterprise Devs see those new limits and incorporate them,

    As long as RIM keeps it's Enterprise feature set, I embrace the fun additions, if they go the way Palm did with WebOS and make a great new OS but leave everything out that was great about their previous OS, I'll be upset
    oops...
    Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital. \
    Thanked by 2:
    SixStringMadness (05-12-2012),  howarmat (05-12-2012) 
  4. Oneshortsleeve's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    282 Posts
    Global Posts
    287 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

    Default

    Thanks, guys. Both of you have very good points. As an outsider, it seems a lot of people are excited about BB becoming something it is not. I wonder how many other Crackberrians share your sentiment.
  5. o4liberty's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,420 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,038 Global Posts
    #5  

    Default

    This will be Rims last shot at surviving in my opinion. I firmly believe they will make it but only time will tell. I personally believe that BB10 will be a big hit and a major game changer.

    Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    Make sure you vote! Your vote counts!
    Support the 9-12 Project
  6. Chrisy's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    14,843 Posts
    Global Posts
    17,409 Global Posts
    #6  

    Default

    I would say I'm a BlackBerry enthusiast. I like BBOS and many of the features of a BlackBerry. I prefer it over the other platforms.

    But that's not to say that I don't like certain features offered with other phones.

    Both Android and iPhone have some features I'd love to see implemented in a BlackBerry.

    I have stated these thing. On Android I like images in email auto downloading, no truncation, widgets.

    IPhone I like how iMessage uses the phone number and automatically recognizes other iPhones. I like the great video and picture quality.

    However, for what I use my phone for a BlackBerry is the best fit. Email, calls, messaging and organizing.

    I'm hoping BlackBerry 10 melds what I love about BlackBerry and adds some features I like elsewhere as well an new innovations.

    I'm very excited for BlackBerry 10! Still undecided about a touch or keyboard though.

    Also important to me are battery life, duribility, device size, notifications with LED.
    Thanked by:
    Morty2264 (05-14-2012) 
    sheldonbk, kbz1960, Eli_B and 1 others like this.
  7. Trini-34's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    371 Posts
    #7  

    Default

    It's more than just their products it's RIM as well. BB users don't want to see RIM fall/fail. As a BBAdmin I can tell you about the importance of securing your network, personal and business data. True mobile management as well as reduced data consumption and the list goes on. If RIM fails a lot of people will be unemployed. So the hype/excitement for BB10 is more than just games... My $0.02
    sheldonbk likes this.
  8. JWWDUKE's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    730 Posts
    #8  

    Default

    My first BB was the storm, and now the Torch 9860. So yes I am excited to see a "mini playbook" with sweet new features.

    That being said, alot of people here on CB are eagerly awaiting the specs and layout of the next gen keyboard phone.

    I personally believe alot of the excitement about BB10 is mostly because RIM is doing "something", rather than "nothing"(BB OS8)...

    A BB OS8 would've been more of the same, an OS4 OS updated a bit but nothing "new".

    BB10 is "all new", and that in itself is something to get jacked about, if your a BB fan. For current ios and Andriod users, I'm not sure that BB10 is as significant as it seems to current BB users. Only time will tell, well approx 6-12 months will tell.
  9. antheauxny's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    505 Posts
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    #9  

    Default

    I just had a discussion with a friend about this today!
    She agreed that people are looking like hypocrites because they frowned upon
    Android & iPhone as "toys," but now are happy that Blackberry is becoming more
    like them.

    Honestly I think they're just excited because it's Blackberry. They support anything
    Blackberry does even if it somewhat goes against what they've previously said.

    I for one, will wait patiently for a keyboard Blackberry 10 device. I have an iPhone,
    & I'm growing tired of full touch lol. Love iPhone, does everything a BB can (for my needs), but I just miss Blackberry.
    Current devices: iPhone 4S 32GB (Black) & Blackberry Bold 9930
  10. FlashFlare11's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,142 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,187 Global Posts
    #10  

    Default

    Well, a lot of us are excited in that RIM is coming back. The end of RIM would have meant the end of BlackBerry, and BlackBerry 10 is RIM's way back into the game (a game they were never really out of, to be honest).

    However, just because BlackBerry 10 is like the competitors doesn't mean it is. The core features that make the current BlackBerry OS attractive aren't being sacrificed. They're being supported by the new additional features that will be coming with BB10. The corporate experience will be enhanced, as will RIM's place in the consumer market. BlackBerry 10 brings a lot of new features to the market, and QNX has capabilites far beyond the mobile space. BlackBerry 10 is not just a mobile OS; it's an integrated platform. This opens many doors for RIM to make in-roads.

    A lot of BlackBerry users, although happy with BlackBerry, do find the competitors attractive. And for RIM to stay relevant, they need to adopt the capabilites of the competitors, not just to attract new customers, but to maintain their old ones.

    BlackBerry 10 gives a lot of reasons, to both new and existing customers, to be excited!
    gritsinct likes this.
  11. Stewartj1's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    930 Posts
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    #11  

    Default

    I'm excited for BB10 because it looks like it will have all the great things I love about BB (security, ease of use, granular customization, etc) add several great features from iOS/Android then throw in a few more brand new features I've never seen before (keyboard that learns my typing style, Cascades, superb stability, etc)

    It's like moving from the menu to the buffet.

    As for RIM'S iconic keyboard, the new smart keyboard will likely be the best virtual keyboard out there which will be a big draw for new users and RIM needs as many new customers as they can get. They need and should be appealing to the largest possible market.

    I'm more than happy to cool my heels for a couple extra months to get my thumbs on the new combo keyboard phone (hoping for a slider) but I strongly suspect is be happy with the new smart, touch only keyboard.

    I guess the short answer is "great + more + more = BB10"
  12. southlander's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,947 Posts
    PIN
    32FE97BA
    #12  

    Default

    There's no question in my mind that a real keyboard is better than all touch for those that have to input a lot of text. Think of typing on an ipad vs. a real PC/laptop keyboard -- for example. No contest.

    So eventually I believe RIM's flagship BB10 device will be one with a real keyboard. And I think the enterprise market will demand more devices with real keyboard input. I think the all touch craze is an overreaction that will self correct. I also think overly large phones is the same kind of trend.

    But right now I think RIM has to answer the critics and produce an awesome virtual keyboard on a flagship device. Once they do it, and IF they gain traction in the market I think the qwerty devices will follow shortly after and will be the "new cool".

    My opinions.
  13. palomartian's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,048 Posts
    PIN
    che gringo
    #13  

    Default

    BB10 will need to be all that and a bag of chips, because the current crop of hardware is an embarrassment of biblical proportions. It's just painful to try and do anything with a BB when the guy next to you has an iPhone doing the same thing 50 times better. My kid and I were trying to find a store, his iPhone was navigating on a free turn by turn app with spoken directions and a map view before my 9900 even had a GPS fix. We were half way there before the 9900 had a fix. On RDM, he can play DOS games, I have to wait for each command to execute. The fanboys can squawk all the want about security and BBM. BBOS is the joke of the industry. It's only been 9 months since they've had phones capable of internet browsing!!! Most people who get assigned a BB for work would rather have anything else. I personally don't think they will recover. RIM should stick to cheap third world data plans and leverage their security and data compression assets. When they finally release the BB10 device it will have bugs like every new OS, run on hardware that is almost good enough, the press will slam it, reviews will be universally negative, and the phone will gather dust on the store shelves. What you see now in the financial reporting is just a taste of what's to come.
    Last edited by palomartian; 05-11-2012 at 10:55 PM.
    hankj25, mssca, PTZ and 1 others like this.
  14. mssca's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,744 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,987 Global Posts
    PIN
    pin is a small and pointy object...so it's really not for little ones.
    #14  

    Default

    Without the physical keyboard, a Blackberry will just become another Android or an iPhone. In that case, I will not buy it and I will go for an Android. But RIM said they will come up with keyboard version!

    I agree with palomartian because I cannot use this "smartphone" to find a location because Blackberry Bold sucks so bad. That goodness my brother's iPhone came to the rescue when we were lost in the Canadian Rocky Mountains. Stupid Blackberry.
    Pearl™ 8130 > Bold™ 9700 (Unlocked) > Bold™ 9900 (Unlocked)
    One step forward, two steps backwards; the Research in (slow) Motion.
    WWW: My Site | Geek Community
    Find my posts useful? Please let me know by clicking Thanks
  15. belfastdispatcher's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    13,429 Posts
    PIN
    27F48177
    #15  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mss-ca View Post
    Without the physical keyboard, a Blackberry will just become another Android or an iPhone. In that case, I will not buy it and I will go for an Android. But RIM said they will come up with keyboard version!

    I agree with palomartian because I cannot use this "smartphone" to find a location because Blackberry Bold sucks so bad. That goodness my brother's iPhone came to the rescue when we were lost in the Canadian Rocky Mountains. Stupid Blackberry.
    What maps were you using? BB Maps find me in 2-3 seconds wherever I am.

    Also in UK Telmap Navigation is free, full turn by turn navigation.
  16. Superfly_FR's Avatar

    Posts
    9,316 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,327 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey, what did you expect ?
    #16  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oneshortsleeve View Post
    For example, games on other devices has drawn criticism around here, but as more information comes out about BB10 people are anticipating the idea of games being available on BB10.
    "Serious" games ... what we'll get here is nothing matched yet ...
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshortsleeve View Post
    What interests me most is that when I think BB I think keyboard. I realize a keyboard BB10 will be available, but I feel the flagship device will be the touchscreen. How is this going to affect BB's biggest strength?
    Again - as I'm a real physical keyboard fan - my perception of this touch keyboard is far from what I've see anywhere ... I call it the softKeyboard or smartKeyboard ... being "touch" is only a detail ...
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshortsleeve View Post
    It seems as though BB is doing a 180...revamped OS and form factor, but the excitement here is bigger than ever. Why? Later this year RIM will introduce a phone and OS that a BB fan would not be able to pick out of lineup. It will be completely different than what you love right now and it will be more like its competitors. Does the excitement over the updated phone seem premature or is this more about RIM?
    More that a 180 - being an opposite wich is not that obvious - it's a start from scratch, with no compromise. They thought "usage", maintaining RIM DNA (1 hand operation being first) and adding some new UI concepts (flow) to raise the level of ease and efficiency. This implies changes, including a short learning training ... good; I was a poor user of shortcuts and BB7 habits.

    * All stated above is nothing but my perception, as BB10 dev alpha is known ... alpha !
    Join my BBM Channel : C00035FA6
    "I speak English like a Spanish Cow"
    I'm a StockBerrian, proudly holding 50 150 250 400 550 1000 BlackBerry shares
  17. Stewartj1's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    930 Posts
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    #17  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mss-ca View Post
    Without the physical keyboard, a Blackberry will just become another Android or an iPhone. In that case, I will not buy it and I will go for an Android. But RIM said they will come up with keyboard version!

    I agree with palomartian because I cannot use this "smartphone" to find a location because Blackberry Bold sucks so bad. That goodness my brother's iPhone came to the rescue when we were lost in the Canadian Rocky Mountains. Stupid Blackberry.
    Both my 9800 and my 9900 work great with Google Maps, BB Maps and BB Traffic.

    What map software were you using? We're you in cell coverage at the time?
  18. alnamvet68's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,213 Posts
    PIN
    2AA6XXXX
    #18  

    Default

    BBX, the "bee's knees" for those in the know.
    If You Can Read This, Thank a Teacher...if it's in English, Thank a Soldier


    Support: www.woundedwarriorproject.org

    We etch these names in granite to stand against time so we and our children can learn and remember.
  19. #19  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stewartj1 View Post
    Both my 9800 and my 9900 work great with Google Maps, BB Maps and BB Traffic.

    What map software were you using? We're you in cell coverage at the time?
    I use BB Traffic in every city I travel to on business. I don't even map out directions anymore. I open BB Traffic in the rental car parking lot and just listen to the turn by turn directions. Whether it's a small town like Greer SC or a major city like L.A., it gets me from the airport to the hotel. Used in conjunction with Poynt I can them to to dinner, shopping, sightseeing, then back to the hotel and the office the next day.
    I have encountered no problems. I have used the 9930, 9370, 9860, and 9810 as my navigation tool while on travel.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons; dragonslayers are crunchy, and good with ketchup
  20. anthogag's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    2,101 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,106 Global Posts
    #20  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisy520 View Post
    I would say I'm a BlackBerry enthusiast. I like BBOS and many of the features of a BlackBerry. I prefer it over the other platforms.

    But that's not to say that I don't like certain features offered with other phones.

    Both Android and iPhone have some features I'd love to see implemented in a BlackBerry.

    I have stated these thing. On Android I like images in email auto downloading, no truncation, widgets.

    IPhone I like how iMessage uses the phone number and automatically recognizes other iPhones. I like the great video and picture quality.

    However, for what I use my phone for a BlackBerry is the best fit. Email, calls, messaging and organizing.

    I'm hoping BlackBerry 10 melds what I love about BlackBerry and adds some features I like elsewhere as well an new innovations.

    I'm very excited for BlackBerry 10! Still undecided about a touch or keyboard though.

    Also important to me are battery life, duribility, device size, notifications with LED.


    The app Email++ will automatically download images in emails
  21. Chrisy's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    14,843 Posts
    Global Posts
    17,409 Global Posts
    #21  

    Default

    Nice face. I will try that. Thanks!
  22. anthogag's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    2,101 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,106 Global Posts
    #22  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by antheauxny View Post
    I just had a discussion with a friend about this today!
    She agreed that people are looking like hypocrites because they frowned upon
    Android & iPhone as "toys," but now are happy that Blackberry is becoming more
    like them.

    Honestly I think they're just excited because it's Blackberry. They support anything
    Blackberry does even if it somewhat goes against what they've previously said.

    I for one, will wait patiently for a keyboard Blackberry 10 device. I have an iPhone,
    & I'm growing tired of full touch lol. Love iPhone, does everything a BB can (for my needs), but I just miss Blackberry.


    The post "A new must-watch BlackBerry TV ad" on the main page pretty much brilliantly shows why I think iPhone is a toy

    IMO, BB people won't look like hypocrites. They'll have a range of phone products and the first one is all-touch. The on-screen keyboard will be a BlackBerry keyboard.
  23. SRR500's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    796 Posts
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    #23  

    Default

    Every time I've needed it, BB Traffic has been flawless. It has always grabbed hold of a satellite quickly, found the directions, and guided me where I wanted to go. Wouldn't want to travel without it.

    Part of the BB mind set is that some people seem to think that if a BB can't do something out-of-the-box then it can't be done. Where an iOS or Android user will instantly go looking for an app to accomplish their task.

    There are a lot of apps available for BB that will add useful functions to the phone (like auto download of pictures) it's just that looking for an app is not always the first thing we think of.


    Sent from my BlackBerry 9350 using Tapatalk
  24. karaya1's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    254 Posts
    #24  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mss-ca View Post
    Without the physical keyboard, a Blackberry will just become another Android or an iPhone. In that case, I will not buy it and I will go for an Android. But RIM said they will come up with keyboard version!

    I agree with palomartian because I cannot use this "smartphone" to find a location because Blackberry Bold sucks so bad. That goodness my brother's iPhone came to the rescue when we were lost in the Canadian Rocky Mountains. Stupid Blackberry.
    Bs. The gps on my 9700 and 9900 have been flawless in over 20 countries regardless if it was rural or urban. On a 2g connection the bb is soooo much more useful than an iphone. From tanzania to Ukraine, the bold has been perfect and reliable. Learn to use your device.
  25. anthogag's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    2,101 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,106 Global Posts
    #25  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by palomartian View Post
    BB10 will need to be all that and a bag of chips, because the current crop of hardware is an embarrassment of biblical proportions. It's just painful to try and do anything with a BB when the guy next to you has an iPhone doing the same thing 50 times better. My kid and I were trying to find a store, his iPhone was navigating on a free turn by turn app with spoken directions and a map view before my 9900 even had a GPS fix. We were half way there before the 9900 had a fix. On RDM, he can play DOS games, I have to wait for each command to execute. The fanboys can squawk all the want about security and BBM. BBOS is the joke of the industry. It's only been 9 months since they've had phones capable of internet browsing!!! Most people who get assigned a BB for work would rather have anything else. I personally don't think they will recover. RIM should stick to cheap third world data plans and leverage their security and data compression assets. When they finally release the BB10 device it will have bugs like every new OS, run on hardware that is almost good enough, the press will slam it, reviews will be universally negative, and the phone will gather dust on the store shelves. What you see now in the financial reporting is just a taste of what's to come.

    I use BB Traffic and Maps all the time and it performs brilliantly

    Your kid was probably eager about going to where he wanted to go and had the trip already laid-out on his toy before you came home from work

    Could a person say "it's been x months since the iPhone is capable of..." notifications, iMessage (a BBM wanna-be),...

    The "joke of the industry" are the iSheep
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions