My friend got a Blackberry Curve from Sprint (without data plan) which I didn't know was possible. Anyways can he still use blackberry messenger without having the data plan?

Thanks
    10-24-08 08:59 PM
    No. You have to have the data plan.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-24-08 09:00 PM
    You need a data plan in order to use BBM, the internet, or any instant messengers.
    10-24-08 09:05 PM
    My friend got a Blackberry Curve from Sprint (without data plan) which I didn't know was possible.
    Yeah it can be done but doesn't mean it's a good idea. Anybody who's even remotely familiar with these devices would know without a data plan it's, well...just a phone. Nowadays the amount of information and services available at your fingertips is astounding, and BlackBerries are at their very best when used as such. I realize it's your friend and not you but perhaps you should encourage him to try out a data plan for a bit, I'm sure he'd be surprised to see his new BB come alive.
    10-24-08 09:44 PM
    Some have tried to circumvent data by trying to go through Mobile Browser plans meant for regular phones. Make sure your carrier doesn't charge pay-per-use data charges when they detect your friend is using a BlackBerry for data purposes with no data plan. Otherwise, your friend could end up with a nasty phone bill.

Aside from that, having a BB without data isn't really a bad thing. I had that with my old 7290. It makes a great organizer and texting powerhouse.
    10-25-08 08:47 AM
    No data plan? Just silly, the data is what makes it a blackberry! I can't live without internet and BBM in my pocket
    10-25-08 08:57 AM
    I went thr first month or so with no data plan, still wasn't horrible. Was still phone/calendar/multi-media source etc...but the data plan made my phone atleast 1,000 times better.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-25-08 09:02 AM
    Blackberry w/out data plan is like Ferrari with Ford Pinto engine in it
    10-25-08 09:06 AM
    Omg a curve without a data plan. That's like superman without his cape! (or the ability to fly).

Trust me, without a data plan, it's just a phone. With the data plan, it becomes a BLACKBERRY!
    10-25-08 10:00 AM
    Dataplan is needed and they are fairly cheap.
    10-25-08 10:17 AM
    update.....

my friend/cousin finally realized you HAVE TO GET A DATA PLAN to make a blackberry worthwhile......he loves it now
    11-28-08 11:43 AM
    That's why I don't mind what Verizon does: forces you to get a data plan if you get a BB. I DO mind that they lock the GPS, but that's another story. They have the best coverage and CS and everyone I know uses Verizon (and free mobile-to-mobile) so I make do.
    11-28-08 02:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD