What?
    Battery pulls??
    Only if you are in desperate need to force your phone to require a fresh OS installation.
    Nope, I had to do a battery pull when my Z completely froze. Tried unsuccessfully to do a hard reset several times.
    08-11-13 08:19 AM
    Features that 95% of former BlackBerry users who have moved on to other platforms do not care about.

Posted via CB10 from my spectacular Z10
    That a little high. BlackBerry sold more old phones then BB10 phones by more then double so far.

That would indicate your percentage and perception are way off.

Verizon Z10. Running 10.1.0.4651. Posted via CB10
    08-11-13 09:00 AM
    I haven't upgraded for several reasons

1. the new plans here in Canada are insane $70 for 250 mb of data?!!!!!!
    2. The z10 is nice but hasn't impressed me enough
    3. I love the OS on my torch 9800 (I do wish I could get 7 since there are a few app upgrades i'm missing out on) the new BB10 just seems like a copy of android and iphone, the legacy devices were fantastic and different. I wish they would have simply found a way to improve them
    4. The lost of data compression, the biggest reason I chose BB over android/iphone was data compression especially since data is such a premium in Canada. With no more compression and BBM moving cross platform blackberry is seeming more like everyone else just with fewer options and bells and whistles
    5. as a botanist I am serious considering android since blackberry doesn't have any good plant identification guides yet, although I keep emailing the companies that make them for android asking for them to come to blackberry.
    6. no bridge between BB10 phones and playbook
    7. lastly the Z10 and BB10 itself seems like there are a lot of bugs to work out.

I haven't fully decided yet but I am upgrading in the next 6 months probably and blackberry has a lot of ground to cover for me to make my next phone another BB
    madoprah likes this.
    08-11-13 09:37 AM
    Maybe they charge you for BIS (I believe what you are saying) but they definitely do not provide any BIS services.
    OS10 works with both plans, but does not utilize BIS at all.
    BIS is required for now until the billing systems are redone to track data. There is no charge for BIS - the plan is the same price with or without BIS service.

As far as the new plans and pricing everything is in flux right now. Everything. Every day this week I got to work and all the plans and hardware pricing changed from the day before. Pricing is going to increase somewhat to recoup the costs of hardware - this is what Canadians whined about, Canadians got what they wanted, they were warned it would mean a move to American style pricing because of hardware costs and Canadians still wanted it, and now that the phone you wanted is 20$ more and the plans are trying to recoup the subsidy in a shorter amount of time, well, something had to give. And now there's people whining to get Verizon up here, like they are a better alternative? I hope they show up because I worked for Verizon for 3 years and they make the big 3 look great in comparison.
    bungaboy likes this.
    08-11-13 09:37 AM
    Shame on you for trying to down legacy users.

Think you're bad cause you have a z10? Lol.

That bad boy is about to be eol.. So brag and battery pull that!
    08-11-13 09:38 AM
    1. My company (90.000 employees globally) does not support BB10 - so I have to stick with my legacy BB.
    2. PlayBook bridge not yet on the necessary usability level.

Trying to be patient until I can finally go and buy a new Q10.
    08-11-13 11:06 AM
    I expect any hands free that follows normal standards to work on the BB10 devices - what OS version are you on atm?

I don't think it is technically possible for the new devices (not sure about the Z30?) to have traditional charging stands as they don't have the metal charge connectors at the bottom of the device.
    Not sure why they went for this design style but I think it was a silly decision in general.

Don't expect any updates to the PlayBook or BB10 bridge app - it's pretty much a dead product now.

I remember using this on my 9900 but didn't bother looking for it on my Q10 as I didn't think it mattered whether the phone went to sleep at night or not... battery life is on par if not better than my 9900.

Not sure about wifi calling actually - I always wondered about that on the Orange network - I am actually on o2.

Skype should work no matter what network you're on as it uses standard data usage?
    No - many bluetooth handsfree kits do NOT work on all phones - I had to wait for a software upgrade on the 9900 before it would work properly with my Parrot CK3100 (and I couldn't buy the whizzier Parrot car-kit at that time either - as none of the extra functionality such as music streaming was expected to work at all). I use lots of hire cars that have integral bluetooth handsfree kits - and at least half of them have functionality issues with my 9900 (eg no auto-answer, auto-answer but you lose the first x seconds of the conversation, can't read the BlackBerry contacts list, some won't receive calls, some won't make calls, some won't work other than pairing, and some won't even pair!)

Wi-Fi calling is fantastic (when it works!) - for TWO reasons
    1) I spend a lot of time in rural locations that have no/little phone signal - I can make and receive calls using Wi-Fi calling - this is a Godsend
    Note: Wi-Fi calling on the 9900 is nowhere near as good as what it was on the 9700 - as it won't seamlessly hand over to a cell from Wi-Fi, and the call quality is not as good (apparently this is because they went from a WiFi calling 'chip' to a software based approach....)
    2) when I travel outside of Europe it costs me $0.50-$2.10 per minute to send and receive calls over the mobile network (dependent on country, which network the phone is connected to, any pre-pay 'travel discount' bundles, etc) - Wi-Fi calling makes this all free as long as I have a Wi-Fi connection (which I normally have in an office / hotel / convention centre)
    Note: some hotels now block Wi-Fi calling over their free/inclusive Wi-Fi networks - in April 2013 I discovered that the Tropicana in Vegas does this (most of the time) - the workaround was to go to somewhere else to make long calls (eg other hotels, convention centre, Dennys, restaurants)

I'm interested that you believe Skype will work on Orange/EE - I'll investigate again

Thanks for your response,

Alex
    08-11-13 11:21 AM
    BIS is required for now until the billing systems are redone to track data. There is no charge for BIS - the plan is the same price with or without BIS service.

As far as the new plans and pricing everything is in flux right now. Everything. Every day this week I got to work and all the plans and hardware pricing changed from the day before. Pricing is going to increase somewhat to recoup the costs of hardware - this is what Canadians whined about, Canadians got what they wanted, they were warned it would mean a move to American style pricing because of hardware costs and Canadians still wanted it, and now that the phone you wanted is 20$ more and the plans are trying to recoup the subsidy in a shorter amount of time, well, something had to give. And now there's people whining to get Verizon up here, like they are a better alternative? I hope they show up because I worked for Verizon for 3 years and they make the big 3 look great in comparison.
    Thank you for the information.
    Seems as the home country of BlackBerry is somehow left behind.

Posted via CB10
    08-11-13 11:21 AM

lol wow you must be part of that fair for Canada group, I can completely understand a small increase in price in plans or phones but a large increase in cost of plans and phones plus a drastic reduction in what you get on your plan for that cost is nothing more than greed and the big 3 being pissed off that the government pushed the 2 year plans.
    08-11-13 12:09 PM
    Use both 9800 and BB10... although I tend to use the 10 less as I like the bridge function with my 9800... yah it can be annoying ( slow downs and battery pulls ) but still fits the bill for me.... ( amazing what you can get use to...)
    08-11-13 12:55 PM
    What?
    Battery pulls??
    Only if you are in desperate need to force your phone to require a fresh OS installation.
    What is the big deal of battery pulls. I came from an Android HTC Thunderbolt to a Windows Mobile 8 Nokia Lumia 822 and had to battery pulls many times during usage. Haven't had to do one pull on Q10, just four security wipes to get it set up the way I wanted and I do a soft restart each morning when I take it off charger.

Posted via CB10
    08-11-13 01:14 PM
    Thank you for the information.
    Seems as the home country of BlackBerry is somehow left behind.

Posted via CB10
    I think it is only BELL. Not to do with BlackBerry.
    08-11-13 09:15 PM
    8520-9700-9000-9900-Z10, the story so far. I can honestly say that the Z10 is the best. Still like the 9900, but really the Z surpasses it. No regrets for having made the switch.
    Dude, you should expand on that. HOW does the Z surpass it? Those of us contemplating a 9900 vs a 10 could use your expertise.
    h20work likes this.
    08-11-13 10:05 PM
    I'd say you're doing very well with your 9790. It looks like a sweet BlackBerry.
    Does the BlackBerry Bold 9790 support LTE and use a microSIM card?

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    08-11-13 10:23 PM
    Does the BlackBerry Bold 9790 support LTE and use a microSIM card?
    No, and no.
    08-11-13 10:44 PM
    Oh I didn't know we were talking only about the Q10. I have the Z.
    Is that really a problem on the Z? If it is, shame on BlackBerry.

Posted via CB using a Q10
    08-12-13 10:46 PM
    Battery pulls and resets are still necessary on BB10 so there's that.
    well no matter what you can't leave a phone on 24/7. Even a computer needs to reset everyone once in awhile. I have a Samsung laptop that requires a weekly reset time at least. But I've never had to battery pull, I've had a few phones busted from surges however. Otherwise if all the people want to complain about app availability there are a good amount of apps now and even if HALF the legacy users switched there would be MORE DEMAND. Especially with 10.2 around the corner and how good it is.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-13 12:25 AM
    As I posted in the news section, the last few days have made me glad I stayed with BIS and my 9780. Who knows what is going to happen to BBery long term, but IMO, BIS and the legendary keyboard are the only things that truly set BBerry apart from the other guys. As long as BIS is available, I will use it via my 9780 and then a 9900.
    As I posted elsewhere, I need my legacy Berry for five or so more years. Then I plan to sell my companies and retire. Perhaps then I can go with whatever else is available for a retired dude by then.
    nathan3d likes this.
    08-13-13 09:54 PM
    The users you mention (including your friends) are not true smart phone users or they would also stick to BBOS, know about all its features, employ them, and see the value in them. Instead, they don't know the features and fall for other manufacturers' published "specs" and advertisements which are targeted at the general (i.e. ignorant) consumer. A BBOS BlackBerry is a true smartphone, and that's why your friends are happier with BlackBerry 10, or iphone, or android. It's because those phones (including the hobbled BB10 phone) are not true smartphones, they're glorified dumb phones.
    You do realize you call the vast majority of people using a smartphone "ignorant" right? I am just pointing this out for the shake of clarity.

Even though I do not agree with you on that statement, even if it were to be true it still proves one point:
    BB has failed in making those features that "ignorant people" -your words- do not use, publicly known to the extent of people using it. That means that BB has failed terribly in their own product procurement and marketing or there is no other explanation apart from another dismissive statement of the like of "people that are ignorant -the vast majority as per your comment before - would not get the idea anyway".

It is elitist to generalize and qualify like this imo. BBOS certainly has some amazing features and some serious pros, I know because I have been using it dead on for years and was loving it as to these aspects. The point though still stands, it lacks in major points, like browsing for instance, which I perceive as a core function a smartphone must do well given the way things go in the last 2-3 years.

all and all, BBOS failed to stay afloat. It is in intensive care and will not be around for long, either we like it or not. People, be it because they are ignorant, or because of generalized common perception and market "common beliefs" and standards -to which I do have my personal opinion on the negative aspects and characteristics of it btw- would still and are still not buying BB products, not BBOS nor BB10 for that matter, to the degree that would be desirable by the company so it stays afloat.

This is a reality of how the market works. Is it good? maybe not. Is it smart, I do not know. In another post I mention my views on democratization of mobile phone market and perceptions of consumers (I may have a look and link it later if I get to it). That does not mean though that BBOS can make a come back... hell after yesterday the stakes are even higher concerning the whole company making a comeback...

I for one traded BBOS for BB10 and now with 10.2 I am perfectly happy and only miss a few things, but the overall package and added value on BB10 by far surpasses the BBOS once you are open to exploring the possibilities it offers, at least I believe it is so for the average user and irt certainly does for me personally as a power user in a corporate context as well as on a personal use level.
    JMO
    08-14-13 01:58 AM
    Oh, and on a side note, not all BIS plan come with unlimited or low cost data roaming tied to them... mine sure did not. The carrier billing on BIS for roaming made it practically impossible for me to use my Torch for data while abroad unless on a wi-fi, so I would not be in a hurry to generalize this aspect as a general positive trend of using BIS on a global scale.

Alternatively, with my Z10, I buy a new sim card on prepayment for 20Euro, I deviate my original number calls to my new number of the country I am in and I still get a 1GB data plan on prepayment that works perfectly with my Z10, making it possible to use all the functions and features of the phone at an exceptionally low cost in most European countries.

Alternatively, for 3 Euro per day I can use all my original data plan GB left while abroad without additional cost. So if my trip is less than a week duration I do not even bother with a new sim card on prepayment where i visit.

That alone worths the change to BB10 in that area for me.
    08-14-13 02:07 AM
    whats going to happen with the Z30's if they can't pull the battery?
    08-14-13 07:59 PM
171 ... 567