I know wifi is truly beneficial to carriers like t-mobile that offer UMA. In the browser settings of the 9650(Sprint) there is an option to set to hotspot. Obviously this setting is to take advantage of browsing using wifi. But what about other applications like push email, bb messenger, sms? Are those still controlled by the mobile network? I read a thread on here about the wifi icon changing color from gray to white and vice versa. But does that only apply to devices using a sim card? What tweaks or optimizations can I use to take advantage wifi on my 9650 or any cdma device for that matter?
    06-03-10 07:38 AM
    I know wifi is truly beneficial to carriers like t-mobile that offer UMA. In the browser settings of the 9650(Sprint) there is an option to set to hotspot. Obviously this setting is to take advantage of browsing using wifi. But what about other applications like push email, bb messenger, sms? Are those still controlled by the mobile network? I read a thread on here about the wifi icon changing color from gray to white and vice versa. But does that only apply to devices using a sim card? What tweaks or optimizations can I use to take advantage wifi on my 9650 or any cdma device for that matter?
    I have a 9650 and the only thing I can't do on wifi is make calls and get SMS. I love being able to respond to BBM's while on the phone when connected to wifi. I even have turned off the "mobile network" for an hour and did everything on my BB with only wifi except for calls and SMS.

The only issue I have had with my wifi is when I tried to connect at McDonald's and there was a log in required and my 9650 didn't know how to handle it very well. I'm wondering how it will work when on an airplane that has wifi installed...
    06-03-10 02:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD