What is the most cost effective way to be able to use my Tour in Barbados. Sprints international prices are way to high. 1.69/min calls, .50/ min for outgoing txts and .05 for incoming, 2.00/MB for emails whether you open them or not. I did a quick online search for prepaid sim cards and I have a few questions. Is my Sprint Tour "unlocked" to be able to use one of these sim cards and does the sim card just cover phone calls or does it cover data also?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-27-10 05:32 PM
    If it's unlocked, it can do both voice and data with any GSM carrier.

On your BlackBerry, go to Options > Advanced Options > Sim Card.

At that screen type MEPD on your keyboard. A new menu will pop up.

Look for Network in the list.

If your device is "unlocked", it should say Disabled or Inactive. If it says Active, it's still locked to that carrier.

Also, look into Digicel pre-paid SIMs in Barbados, they offer prepaid BIS services which let you access internet, e-mail, bbm etc at a significantly cheaper rate than with Sprint. Digicel Prepaid BlackBerry Service - Prepaid BlackBerry Service
    07-27-10 05:37 PM
    If it's unlocked, it can do both voice and data with any GSM carrier.

On your BlackBerry, go to Options > Advanced Options > Sim Card.

At that screen type MEPD on your keyboard. A new menu will pop up.

Look for Network in the list.

If your device is "unlocked", it should say Disabled or Inactive. If it says Active, it's still locked to that carrier.

Also, look into Digicel pre-paid SIMs in Barbados, they offer prepaid BIS services which let you access internet, e-mail, bbm etc at a significantly cheaper rate than with Sprint. Digicel Prepaid BlackBerry Service - Prepaid BlackBerry Service
    Thanks for the feedback. When I went to sim card under options it did say disabled. I will definetly check out the digicel link. Thanks again.

07-27-10 05:51 PM
    Thanks for the feedback. When I went to sim card under options it did say disabled. I will definetly check out the digicel link. Thanks again.

No Problem

If it says "disabled" the congrats, your Tour is unlocked.
    07-27-10 06:45 PM
    Actually you'll be surprised to know that most of Sprint's more recent phones come unlocked out of the box. None of the other North American carriers do it, but at least they do!
    07-27-10 09:07 PM
    Yeh, mine is active
    07-27-10 09:23 PM
    Yeh, mine is active
    Unfortunately 'active' means locked

We can help you unlock it if you need to get it done!
    07-27-10 09:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD