This may be a silly question, but I would like some clarification. I currently have a mobile usb modem that I use when I travel. The Verizon Rep told me that I should just use my BB Tour and told me the charge. If I purchase the AP on Crackberry to tether will I still incur a charge when I access through Verizon?

Someone please tell me how this works.

Thanks!
    06-20-10 02:26 PM
    Tether is a 3rd party app that has a one-time charge and no monthly fee. It uses a port on the BlackBerry that looks like web-browsing to the carrier, so the carrier won't charge tethering fees. If you use it excessively, however, you run the risk of the carrier noticing the excess data usage and charging you for that. I don't know of anyone who has had a problem with occasional use. It's probably not a good idea to assume you can use Tether as your sole internet access.
    06-20-10 02:35 PM
    Thanks Jeff! I use the modem I have now as an emergency only for my job. I don't have to download large amounts of data and never go over the minimum amount that I have with my plan. It seemed a really smart way to have a backup. I would not be using it as my sole Internet access.

Thanks so much!

I would welcome any other comments on thsi!
    06-20-10 02:46 PM
    Used as you describe, Tether should be a good backup option. That's how I use it. I have a Verizon USB modem as well, provided by my employer. It's always good to have another means of connecting.
    06-20-10 02:50 PM
    I also use Tether occassionally when I travel if I'm concerned that I might go over my data plan when using my netbook. The netbook came with a card in it so it is my primary source since I'm paying a monthly fee. I've used Tether since it was in beta and it works just as well with the netbook as the card.
    06-21-10 07:27 AM
    I had used Tether for a while. It works great and is easy to set up. I have heard others say that they have used PDAnet because it is cheaper. But I guess anything is cheaper than paying a monthly fee from the carrier.
    06-21-10 07:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD