Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,655 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default A question about number porting...

Long story short, I brought my number to Koodo.
    To do that, I needed to tell Koodo all of the information on the account, including the account number.
    It was a prepaid number, and I couldn't find the account number anywhere (it's not on mybell), so I assumed the account went by the phone number.
    Koodo accepted the phone number, and the number port had been completed. I could send and receive calls and texts from other numbers.

Or so I thought, then i discovered my sister's texts (she's on Bell) was getting sent to the old phone. But when she calls me she get's through to the new phone.

Calling Bell, they said that the Bell account was not properly deactivated, and that I have to call Koodo to complete it, otherwise I'd completely lose the number. They also gave me the correct account number.

Calling Koodo, they said this is normal, because it can take up to twelve hours after the port is complete for text messages to be routed to the new number. It has only been about ten hours so far.

Who should I believe?

To be fair, Bell tech support has always been crap (which is why I left them). But are they correct for once?
    Blackberry 10 > Windows Phone 7/8 > Blackberry 7 > iOS > Android > Symbian > WebOS > Meego
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,050 Global Posts
    PIN
    ky swear

Koodo didn't do the port right. It doesn't take that long. I've ported my number and everything instantly.
    @blueyestm
    -------------------------------------------
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    260 Global Posts

I went through this tonight and was told it would take 2 - 24 hours. It took about two but I was expecting longer. I went from T-Mobile to Verizon. The hiccups that you are having sounds just like mine until the porting was complete.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,655 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

According to Koodo, the port is complete. I can receive calls fine, and so far text messaging works if the sender is on Telus. I don't know anyone on any other carrier, so I can't troubleshoot that well.

On a side note, if I call voicemail on the old phone, the new phone rings...
    Blackberry 10 > Windows Phone 7/8 > Blackberry 7 > iOS > Android > Symbian > WebOS > Meego
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    3,494 Global Posts

It could take up to a day for all other carriers to recognize that
    a phone number is on a different carrier. If you're having the same
    problem tomorrow, I'd call them back up.
    Formerly forever29
    iPhone 5S 64GB
    Galaxy Note 3
    iPad Mini with Retina 32gb
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,655 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Well, my Bell phone has been cancelled. I asked a couple people on Bell to text me, but I really don't know that many on other carriers.

UPDATE: One of the people on Bell got around to texting me, and it went through fine to the new phone. I'll still need to test it a bit, but I think it's finished.

I'm now Free or Bell!
    Last edited by grahamf; 12-13-2012 at 10:08 AM.