I'm currently using a curve 8330 on VZW and I love it, but I'm going to work in the middle east for a year primarily in Dubia and Iraq and I need an international phone, it looks like the storm or the 8830 would be my best options if I stay with vzw, or I could get another line with at&t and then i would have alot more options. I do have a contract with vzw right now with over a year and a half left, but I do get a free upgrade phone with them. Does anyone here have any input or more info on something that I should be looking at.
    04-27-09 01:10 AM
    I'd suggest you get a new phone with euro-spec radios, and it'll be a lot cheaper than paying roaming for a year.

Just my 2cents
    04-27-09 03:57 AM
    What is euro-spec radios?
    Wouldn't getting a local cell phone number (+ plan) be sufficient to avoid roaming costs?
    04-27-09 04:22 AM
    I'm currently using a curve 8330 on VZW and I love it, but I'm going to work in the middle east for a year primarily in Dubia and Iraq and I need an international phone, it looks like the storm or the 8830 would be my best options if I stay with vzw, or I could get another line with at&t and then i would have alot more options. I do have a contract with vzw right now with over a year and a half left, but I do get a free upgrade phone with them. Does anyone here have any input or more info on something that I should be looking at.
    I'm in southern iraq and my Storm works great (phone & text only) (Zain IQ Carrier) other than not having data service its fine. But i hear that in the northern parts closer to Bahgdad you can get a data signal. So if you're gonna be in Dubai you should be fine. So other than changing to a Storm i agree with evolve and i'd just get a haji phone and sim instead going thru VZW. Good luck!
    04-27-09 04:29 AM
    I'd suggest you get a new phone with euro-spec radios, and it'll be a lot cheaper than paying roaming for a year.

Just my 2cents
    What he means is if you get a GSM phone (like all of att's phones) you can unlock it and get a sim from a carrier over in Iraq and not have to pay roaming. You could get a storm and unlock it and use a local carrier, otherwise you will have to pay international roaming rates which you'll have to check with vrz on what that will cost per min.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-27-09 08:51 AM
    the haji phones do appear to be alot cheaper but does that mean I would need to have an international calling plan or do they come with Local US numbers?
    04-27-09 06:10 PM
    If you're going for a full year a GSM/3G capable phone is recommended and you want to use a local SIM to avoid roaming charges. You could go with eirher of your VZW options or any ATT device and get the SIM unlocked before you travel. Otherwise you could source a new phone with 12 month contract when you arrive in Kuwait.

The choice of phone is with you but my personal preference would be toward Storm or Bold. However be aware there have been reports that ATT sourced Bolds sometimes refuse to work fully on foreign service so local supply might be better. There's also the warranty angle if all your support is back in USA.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-27-09 08:21 PM
    definitely get a local sim card with a gsm carrier. if their contracts run for longer than one year, i'm sure paying the early termination fee will be cheaper than paying for roaming charges for a year!!!

bring over an unlocked phone, or buy it over there whichever you prefer.
    04-27-09 11:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD