Hi, My Name is Brandy, I am a new BB owner and I have been reading these forums every chance that I get trying to learn everything that I can.

I have a 8330 Curve, works great. If I use BBmap for the gps, it pinpoints my location perfectly. But, if I use GoogleMap it uses the cell towers in the area instead of my internal GPS and projects me as being way across town.

Is there a setting that I can change so that Google uses my actual gps location, and not just a triangulation of cell towers?
    06-03-09 07:24 PM
    It sounds like you are a Verizon user. (I can't see your carrier on WAP.) Verizon only allows you to use bbmaps and VZNav with the internal GPS on an 8330. Other CDMA carriers do not restrict its use.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-03-09 07:33 PM
    Alltel will also restrict your use but it can be bypassed by upgrading your os to .131 or higher.

06-03-09 07:37 PM
    i use us cellular, wonder if they disabled it too?
    06-03-09 07:51 PM
    USCellular states that they do not restrict it. But users have reported that is simply does not work reliably. One guy I helped last summer finally gave up and bought a GPS puck. I suspect (with no proof) that USCellular doesn't do a good job providing the data needed for Assisted-GPS to work.

06-03-09 08:06 PM
    bummer. I'm in the sticks compared to most. wonder if there is a work-around
    06-03-09 08:12 PM
    Yeah google maps is slow at best when getting a sat to lock on. Use bbmaps(its free) for the gps and then use it with google maps(better maps)and between the 2 you have a pretty good free gps mapping system.

You can also try amazegps, but I hear its hit and miss.

06-03-09 08:18 PM
    bummer. I'm in the sticks compared to most. wonder if there is a work-around
    Here's a link to the USCellular guy I helped earlier...

http://forums.crackberry.com/f41/fre...estion-125768/

Perhaps his notes will help you.
    06-03-09 08:19 PM
    Thanks heading there now

06-03-09 08:36 PM
    So, I need an external puck? I'm thinking a word that rhymes with puck...

06-03-09 08:39 PM
    What OS are you running? I was assuming 4.5, since BBMaps was working, but that was when I also assumed you were a Verizon user. If you are not running 4.5, it might help to upgrade.
    06-03-09 08:47 PM
    4.5 here, check the bb site, no updates

06-03-09 08:55 PM
    Another thought. If you have a new 8330, it might be an 8330e. Do an Alt-R.Shft-H and tell me if you have an ESN or an MEID. I think I've read posts of problems with the new MEID devices.
    06-03-09 09:12 PM
    06-03-09 09:17 PM
    There is a known issue with Google Maps 3.02 and the 8330m. Google Maps doesn't see the internal GPS chip. Even if you have another GPS program running (like BBMaps) successfully, Google Maps doesn't use GPS.

The problem is specific to the 8330m (MEID) and does not affect the 8330 (ESN). Hopefully Google will come out with an update to let Maps see the GPS chip properly.
    06-04-09 12:52 PM
    Xopher, thanks for confirming what I thought I remembered about the MEID devices and providing the correct model number.

06-04-09 01:47 PM
    So, I need an external puck? I'm thinking a word that rhymes with puck...

I don't want to take business away from this website (since they have helped me out in the past THANKS!!!)... but without naming any names you should be able to use any bluetooth GPS.

I did a google search for it and bought the cheapest one I could find. $35 shipped and it worked fine as long as I have GPSed running in the background.
    06-04-09 06:06 PM
    thanks are there any programs similar to the quality maps in google for free?
    06-04-09 06:45 PM
    that would work without getting an external BT gps?
    06-04-09 06:45 PM
    Still haven't found a version of Google Maps that will work accurately on my Curve 8330m. Always about 700-1400 meters off. Google, are you reading this post? =) It can't be that difficult to modify the software to work with this device. Much thanks in advance if you are able to do so.
    06-04-09 07:07 PM
    I just tried amazegps. No problems, so atleast I know itis not my phone. Hopefully google will hurry with a fix to their maps. Amaze found a satelite in about three minutes and was spot on with location

06-04-09 07:46 PM
    Xopher was dead on. I'm hoping they fix the issue with Google maps. Closest I can get to my current location is about 3000 meters..hehe
    06-15-09 02:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD