I got my freedom keychain in the mail today. I have BB Maps and google maps on my BB 8830. I changed the gps in Blackberry maps from internal gps to freedom gps 2000. It still does not seem to be finding a satellite. I guess I might need to be outside for a while for it to pick up a satellite. I will play with that later.

My main question is with google maps. Is there a setting in google maps that you put to make google maps realize not to use the cell towers and that you have GPS. I can't find it if there is. Any and all help will be appresiated

Thanks
    02-21-08 03:09 PM
    I use a GPS puck with Google Maps, and I didn't have to change any settings to get it to work right. It seems that once your phone is connected to your puck, Google Maps knows to get your location based on GPS rather than cell phone towers.
    02-21-08 05:59 PM
    Does your device contain the BBMaps application? You could also test the gps puck using that.

There is a GPS setting either directly under Options or under Advanced Settings under options. You might CAREFULLY tweak that.

I've found mine is pretty sensitive and I even posted a track using gps-ed

Track Amab | Author Ff2 | Mobile GPS Tracking Service
    02-21-08 07:13 PM
    I recently got the Keychain 2000 also and have used it quite a bit this week on the road. I have both BB Maps and Google Maps. If Google senses the GPS signal, it will automatically use that with pinpoint accuracy. If not, it will revert to cell tower triangulation. As it initially tries to initiate GPS connection, it may immediately revert to cell towers to get you going faster, then switch to GPS when it receives it.

With my 8830 Verizon, I find it almost impossible to just use Googlemaps and have the GPS refreshing accordingly. I've had to first turn on BB Maps and get it going with "find my location" and "start GPS navigation". Then I start Googlemaps, keeping BB maps running in the background. That allows the Googlemaps to work beautifully. Occasionally, you might have to "reboot" BB Maps if Google stops refreshing.

Be sure to allow your keychain puck to "find" the satellites first, before starting your map programs. In other words, wait till the orange LED starts blinking..

Of course, Verizon COULD simply UNLOCK the internal GPS to try to recoup some of their public relations losses due to their crippling it in the first place!!
    02-22-08 01:11 PM
    Freedom GPS Keychain works very well for me with BB maps and Google maps.
    02-22-08 01:28 PM
    Thanks for all of the help. I did get everything working. This Crackberry commumnity is amazing. I never go anywhere else for help.

Thank You

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-22-08 06:50 PM
    I just got the Freedom Keychain gps and it works great. Its just a shame you have to pay for something you already bought thanks to VZW's greed.
    02-22-08 10:28 PM
    I just took advantage of the Crackberry Birthday 10% off and bought a freedom keychain... I can't wait to use it with trimbles geocache navigator(hopefully it will work) I hate Verizon and their crippling of certain "things"
    02-27-08 09:58 PM
    Not only did my keychain GPS circumvent the need to PAY additional bucks for Verizon's VZNavigator, but I returned to the store yesterday and CANCELLED the $15 monthly fee for their "tethering" option. I would have kept it for emergency use, but at this point they've made this customer feel like I don't want to give them one dime more than I need to!! That unfortunate business decison of theirs to cripple the internal GPS has removed all aspects of brand loyalty to Verizon.. That will surely be a major factor at contract expiration time!
    02-28-08 11:00 AM
    Got my freedom today and it works great!! I think I like BBmaps better than google.. still playing with both any thoughts on which one you use more??
    03-04-08 08:44 PM
    I just got my Freedom 2000. Linked up great. It took alittle long to find the satellites, but it did. Problem is it is about half a mile off when it found my location in BB maps.

Anyone have a fix for this?
    03-05-08 12:54 PM
    I use it too. I have no problem of location with it. Do you use it outside? If yes how is the weather. There are a few model of Freedom GPS, I took the most expensive one who can work on 51 satellites worldwide. Maybe your freedo looklike well charge, but charge it again, it happen to me and once it's charge everything went well. Feel free to pin me if you need extra info's.
    03-05-08 07:12 PM
    Just got mine today. It works with BB Maps much better than it does with Google Maps.

The only thing that sucks is that it doesn't recalculate the route for you if you make a wrong turn or anything.

Are there any other GPS Software besides BB Maps and Google Maps?
    03-05-08 07:21 PM
    I'm actually liking Nav4All over BB Maps. It computes the route and uses voice commands (and arrows) to guide you. I doesn't show maps on the screen, just arrows. It doesn't use the data connection except for calculating the route, and recalculating if you go off the route. The only down side I have seen is addresses seem to be more accurate in Google Maps (approximately 50 yards or so).
    03-05-08 09:54 PM
    Not only did my keychain GPS circumvent the need to PAY additional bucks for Verizon's VZNavigator, but I returned to the store yesterday and CANCELLED the $15 monthly fee for their "tethering" option. I would have kept it for emergency use, but at this point they've made this customer feel like I don't want to give them one dime more than I need to!! That unfortunate business decison of theirs to cripple the internal GPS has removed all aspects of brand loyalty to Verizon.. That will surely be a major factor at contract expiration time!
    Maybe for you, but Verizon has done this for years now (crippling hardware to make more money) and yet they still seem to retain customers somehow. I know I haven't switched even though I know I'm getting shafted. It's not that I love Verizon, I just hate it less than other providers for one reason or another.
    03-06-08 08:45 AM
    Also take a look at amAze GPS. It is working well for me and their support staff is very responsive on the forums. Turn by turn voice navigation, POI's, searching, etc.
    03-06-08 08:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD