Been lurking around these boards for a while, and finally decided to shoot a question.

My question is about how BBM transfers data while inactive. I was told by a service provider, that if you have open chats on BBM, even if your not actually messaging each other any more, you can get charged for the data usage (if you don't have unlimited), as it is an unclosed session.

My question is, why would you be charged data usage while its idle, and if this is totally accurate?

Thanks for any responses.
    08-10-11 06:31 AM
    Umm I really don't think that that is true. I had 5 essential BBM chats open on roaming abroad but I didn't get charged for it. If you need to know my carrier is VZW. I'm not sure if I had unlimited. I know this info isn't that accurate just wanted to help. don't rely on this source though....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-10-11 11:33 AM
    You can change your data setting to "off" while roaming. This is under your options icon "network and connections" settings. That would allow you to avoid unexpected roaming charges.

08-10-11 12:37 PM
    You can change your data setting to "off" while roaming. This is under your options icon "network and connections" settings. That would allow you to avoid unexpected roaming charges.

Yep I know this. I was just wondering if there would still be data transfers if the chat session is idle.
    08-12-11 06:36 AM
    It's just that...it's idle so no msgs are being sent/received therefore no data usage.
    I'm on rogers and the few time I've went to the States (with roaming data off) I never gotten charged for having opened idle BBM chats open.

08-12-11 03:23 PM
    It's just that...it's idle so no msgs are being sent/received therefore no data usage.

Thats what I thought....but apparently service providers say that this is one of the reasons why people get charged through there nose sometimes while roaming...
    08-15-11 07:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD