I am in the process of transitioning all of the data (contacts, schedule items, memos, etc.) from my Palm Centro to my new 8330 Curve. At the Verizon store they only transferred the contact name and phone numbers but no addresses, e-mail, etc. I asked them about this and they said that's all their program is capable of. I also asked them why it had not brought my calendar items and memos or notes over and got the same answer. Today I backed-up all of the contacts on my BB to my laptop so that's good, although I don't know if the info that is backed-up can be viewed. Does BB have an option where you can enter info on your desktop and sync it with your handheld? That's what Palm has and it's much easier to enter contact info or calendar items on a full-size keyboard rather than on your BB.

I would appreciate any helpful responses.
    01-18-10 08:00 PM
    I should have mentioned that I have also tried to pull info off of my Palm using the BB desktop software but I got a message that said the Palm desktop software version is not compatible. Of course not, that would be too easy.
    01-18-10 08:03 PM
    The BlackBerry Desktop Manager is not equivalent to the Palm Desktop in that the BB DM does not have a PIM interface. RIM assumes you will sync with Outlook or some other Desktop PIM. Outlook is the default. If you were syncing your Palm with Outlook, you can easily sync your 8330 to Outlook. Another option would be to save your Palm data in comma delimited text files, import those into Outlook, and sync to the 8330 that way.
    01-18-10 08:07 PM
    I was not previously syncing my Palm with Outlook, but what you describe seems doable. I could start by importing the files from the Palm to Outlook then sync the BB with Outlook as you suggested. That's worth a try because I have upwards of 600 contacts an I would have to type addresses, e-mail addresses, websites, etc. for all of those.

Thanks
    01-18-10 08:25 PM
    Definitely worth a try. I haven't read a lot of success stories from people using the Device Switch Wizard to move between a Palm and a BlackBerry, but that may be partly because people only post when they have problems, and not when it works perfectly (assuming it ever does.)
    01-18-10 08:36 PM
    I was not previously syncing my Palm with Outlook, but what you describe seems doable. I could start by importing the files from the Palm to Outlook then sync the BB with Outlook as you suggested. That's worth a try because I have upwards of 600 contacts an I would have to type addresses, e-mail addresses, websites, etc. for all of those.

Thanks
    Just make sure that the sync's go in the correct directions and overwrite the "empty" versions and not the other way. Then change the sync options for routine back-forth syncing.
    01-18-10 09:18 PM
    Good to know. I'll keep this post up on my screen and refer to it when I get this going tomorrow when I have the time.
    01-18-10 09:54 PM
    When migrating from Palm Treo to the BB Storm, my Dad did it by syncing to Outlook (he *had* been syncing with Palm's Desktop Software).

Then he just synced that to the BB via Desktop Manager. It worked perfectly.

It also worked for his Calendar events.

I'm not sure if he used the Device Switch Wizard after the initial Palm Sync, or if he just did a one-way initial "push" or overwrite of his BB.
    01-18-10 09:56 PM
    I recently went from a Treo to BB by downloading Palm Desktop 4.1 (Blackberry's Desktop Manager won't synch with Desktop 4.2 for some reason) and then I synched my Treo to the Palm Desktop 4.1 I then used BB desktop's device switch manager and everything (calendar, contacts, etc.) came over perfectly. I had to connect both the Treo and my new BB to the computer at the same time though (if memory serves me).

But the key is using Palm Desktop 4.1 instead of 4.2.
    01-19-10 10:04 AM
    That's what I'll do, Wondering. You're right that when I tried to use the BB Desktop Manager it was telling me that the Palm desktop version was not compatible with the BB Desktop Manager. Since I am not an Outlook user, it would probably be easier for me to update the Palm Desktop, sync my Palm, then connect both devices to my computer to sync them using the BB DM than to learn the other method.

Thanks for your advice and all of the comments from others.
    01-19-10 06:56 PM
    Palm desktop 4.1 will probably be a downgrade since v. 4.2 has been out for a while. I actually downloaded 4.1 to an old comp just to sync my Treo to it and then use the BB device switch manager. It worked like a charm. BB desktop manager works with Palm 4.1 but not 4.2.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

01-19-10 08:16 PM
    After checking out the Palm support page I see that V 4.1 you mentioned is only for the Treo. I have a Palm Centro and the only version listed for that device is V 6.2. According to BB DM I need to be transferring from Palm 4.0.1 or 4.1.4 or 6.0.1. I attempted to download and install V 4.1.4 but it stopped me because it determined it was an older version than what I have installed on my computer.

Now I don't know what to do. So far I have been using my laptop and I could do the install on my desktop computer because I never installed the Palm software on that machine. Then I could install the BB DM and see if it will sync.
    01-20-10 12:45 AM
    You still have to get the data out of your Centro. The BlackBerry DM won't sync directly with that. If you've already tried the Switch Device Wizard without success, then exporting from the Palm Desktop in CSV, and importing it into Outlook to sync to your BlackBerry may be the easiest way.

01-20-10 05:24 AM
    Something we've overlooked here is...synch your phone to your main computer with Palm Desktop 4.2 before doing anything else...just to save your data.

I was in the same situation as I used a laptop with Palm 4.2 as my main synch computer. I downloaded 4.1 onto my desktop (which had no previous palm desktop software on it). I also download BB desktop to that desktop computer. I created a profile for my Treo username and another for my wife's Centro and synched both to Palm Desktop 4.1 with no problem. Then I used the BB desktop manager and synched each palm device to our new respective BB's. So, the Centro should work with Palm 4.1. It worked great for me.

However, if you need more expert advice go to the forums at brighthand.com they have a dedicated Palm discussion forum with great users.

The main thing is...create that Palm backup on your lapper first just in case and make sure that you know your Centro's username because it will need to be entered into the Palm 4.1 prior to synching. If you don't know your Centro's username it should show up on your laptop 4.2 version of Palm Desktop in a dropdown menu on your calendar view. Be sure to type it into Palm 4.1 exactly as it appears in your existing Palm 4.2 calendar.
    01-20-10 08:15 AM
    Oh and one other thing...I have a curve 8530 and the latest BB Desktop. I don't know if anything is different with your curve 8330. It may not change anything though.

Sorry just noticed that.
    01-20-10 08:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD