I have always bought my phones on contract from AT&T. I haven't always stayed on contract. I kept my 9000 4 1/2 years and paid monthly.

If I buy a Q30 (or 20) directly from BB:
    1- do I just put my SIM card from my Q10 into the new phone?
    2- do I have to activate it with AT&T?
    3- what do I do about service if I have a problem?
    4- will I then get updates directly from BB?
    No luck with updates from AT&T. On 10.1 for almost a year!!!

Sorry for the dumb questions. I consider a phone a major purchase, so I want to be sure it works out OK.

Posted via CB10 on my Q10
    03-20-14 05:07 PM
    I have always bought my phones on contract from AT&T. I haven't always stayed on contract. I kept my 9000 4 1/2 years and paid monthly.

If I buy a Q30 (or 20) directly from BB:
    1- do I just put my SIM card from my Q10 into the new phone?
    Yes. But the Q20 isn't expected until the end of the year, and no Q30 has been announced. Are you thinking about the Z30 maybe?

2- do I have to activate it with AT&T?
    No. That's the advantage of the GSM SIM system - it's the SIM that is activated, not the phone, so you can move the SIM around as you like.

3- what do I do about service if I have a problem?
    This is a much more difficult question. BB is selling these direct, but they really don't have much of a formal support system for direct sales, because they've always sold through the carriers, and the carriers handled support. I would do some more asking around and investigating about this question if I were you.

4- will I then get updates directly from BB?
    No, you'll still be relying on whichever carrier you are using, or will need to load leaks on your own.
    OTCHRussell likes this.
    03-20-14 05:51 PM
    If you looking to get LTE from AT&T on a direct from Blackberry Z30 you will be out of luck for the most part, as the model they are offering does not support all of AT&T's LTE bands. The reason I bring this up is because there is strong chance that when the Q20 or "Q30" is release on blackberry's store website that it might not support all of AT&T LTE bands .

Now, if it turns out that the model blackberry offers direct has all the LTE bands you need, then you will need to get a sim card from AT&T and I believe they have directions on their website if you bring your own phone to at&t.

My advice is if AT&T offers the Q20 or "Q30" you should purchase the phone from them to make sure that you get the support for the phone, as you may be limited in how much support AT&T will give you for a non-AT&T branded phone.
    OTCHRussell likes this.
    03-20-14 06:01 PM
    Thanks for your answers. Yes, I am referring to Q20 or Q30 when and if they come out. My Q10 is still on contract so I am not in a hurry just yet.
    Just trying to learn what I can ahead of time. Meanwhile, I would be happy with an official 10.2 :-)

Posted via CB10 on my Q10
    03-20-14 06:06 PM
    in most cities that dont utilize the 700mhz band you can def get LTE on the z30's from BlackBerry i am in NYC and i get LTE on both att and tmobile
    03-20-14 06:14 PM