First off I love the torch by the way ...

After listening to the latest podcast which was very funny and just brilliant . Nfc duh ... So funny. It got me thinking that Qnx is a real winner and I don't know much about it. Apple has the oldest os now and android is very messy according to Kevin . I honestly do think that once Qnx finally comes to the phones its going to blow the others out of the water .

Apple hasn't really done anything amazing in the last few years and android . Well I don't know anything about that os so its pointless to give an opinion. If Qnx really is so powerful as we all hope , I can honestly see the itoy disappearing altogether . Android I'm not so sure .
    Lots still love blackberry but jump ship cos others have more apps, bigger processors or whatever but with Qnx . Its both secure, powerful and easy to develop for. So I can honestly see the itoy go bye bye in a few years time.

What you think guys?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by bigpolla04; 01-30-11 at 07:27 PM.
    01-30-11 02:24 PM
    Love my BB, but the I-Phone isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
    01-30-11 03:06 PM
    As much as we love our BB others love their apples. Not going anywhere. I am also excited for the upcoming qnx just hope they don't screw up the simplicity of the current OS

01-30-11 03:11 PM
    RIM CEO Mike Lazaridis further confirmed plans for QNX-powered BlackBerry "super phones" in an interview at CES, where he said the BlackBerry maker is skating not to where the puck is today, but to where the puck is going to be tomorrow. ...
    Competition ups everyones game.
    01-30-11 03:15 PM
    It's not a winner-take-all game...
    Phil DeLong likes this.
    01-30-11 03:21 PM
    QNX is expected when? By the time a QNX BlackBerry is released I think the other platforms will be similar or more advanced. But it will be interesting to watch!

01-30-11 03:31 PM
    Won't QNX make your BlackBerry be able to do the same things as what you're calling an "iToy?" Why do you want that?

K Bear likes this.
    01-30-11 03:47 PM
    The timing for the QNX phones will be coincidental with Android becoming the undisputed leader in mobile OS. And Blackberry users will have plenty of apps to drool over.

01-30-11 03:48 PM
    Won't QNX make your BlackBerry be able to do the same things as what you're calling an "iToy?" Why do you want that?

I think the excitement stems from being able to have the toy without giving up the things Blackberry does well.

Saiga, BayouBengal21 and aab81901 like this.
    01-30-11 03:55 PM
    Apple has the oldest os now and android is very messy according to Kevin.
    'Nuff said. That's like getting my "NEWS" from Rush Limbaugh.
    01-30-11 03:55 PM
    QNX is expected when? By the time a QNX BlackBerry is released I think the other platforms will be similar or more advanced. But it will be interesting to watch!

So you think iOS and Android will be powering nuclear power plants, bullet trains and tanks in 2012?
    Last edited by berryboba; 01-30-11 at 03:59 PM.
    01-30-11 03:56 PM
    The timing for the QNX phones will be coincidental with Android becoming the undisputed leader in mobile OS. And Blackberry users will have plenty of apps to drool over.

Well, not quite.

You see, QNX devices will be able to run Android apps http://crackberry.com/blackberry-pla...droid-apps-too and BlackBerry QNX devices could run Android apps �€“ News - Know Your Mobile

This really is going to be BlackBerry+QNX+TAT FTW.
    01-30-11 04:01 PM
    Well, not quite.

You see, QNX devices will be able to run Android apps BlackBerry QNX devices could run Android apps – News - Know Your Mobile

This really is going to be BlackBerry+QNX+TAT FTW.
    QNX is a little too late, sorry.
    K Bear likes this.
    01-30-11 04:10 PM
    I think the excitement stems from being able to have the toy without giving up the things Blackberry does well.

+1
    stupid 10char rule
    01-30-11 04:19 PM
    I think what the op and a few other are saying is that QNX will be the better OS of the Blackberry future but it will still have to prove its self (of course). The one thing that ONX has over the other OS's in the market today is that is really has no limits. RIM can scale and scale an a rate that no other OS can. Not to mention that it can have ever app that android has and will have. So yes ONX will be a winner but once again once it proves itself. just my .02
    01-30-11 04:24 PM
    QNX is a little too late, sorry.
    Oh really. QNX is Posix based and brings an existing huge revenue stream to RIM with its application and sales base in aviation and automotive control sales.

QNX is far, far more focussed than either the very messy internals of Androind and the hidebound iOS. The reason for this is in the POSIX kernel that is message based. Using messages makes for an incredible tight and fast method of controlling a divece - pretty handy if you want to keep a plane in the air.

In short, QNX will set the benchmark for performance in SmartPhones.

Couple the above with RIM's extremely reliabe and secure handset hardware, it's outstanding engineering abilities and a state of the are UI driven by the newly acquired TAT organisation and you have the potential for the absolute best OS and UI on the market.

I am sure that when dualcore processors hite the market in force, RIM will release some truly stunning new phones.

To familiarize yourself with just how good QNX is, there are several really good articles on QNX to be found here QNX Realtime Operating System (RTOS) software, middleware, development tools and services for superior embedded design
    01-30-11 04:39 PM
    The one thing that ONX has over the other OS's in the market today is that is really has no limits. RIM can scale and scale an a rate that no other OS can.
    Did you just randomly pull this...? What exactly are you basing this on?
    01-30-11 04:42 PM
    Oh really. QNX is Posix based and brings an existing huge revenue stream to RIM with its application and sales base in aviation and automotive control sales.

QNX is far, far more focussed than either the very messy internals of Androind and the hidebound iOS. The reason for this is in the POSIX kernel that is message based. Using messages makes for an incredible tight and fast method of controlling a divece - pretty handy if you want to keep a plane in the air.

In short, QNX will set the benchmark for performance in SmartPhones.

Couple the above with RIM's extremely reliabe and secure handset hardware, it's outstanding engineering abilities and a state of the are UI driven by the newly acquired TAT organisation and you have the potential for the absolute best OS and UI on the market.

I am sure that when dualcore processors hite the market in force, RIM will release some truly stunning new phones.

To familiarize yourself with just how good QNX is, there are several really good articles on QNX to be found here QNX Realtime Operating System (RTOS) software, middleware, development tools and services for superior embedded design
    Rewind this back to 2008 and release QNX with the OG Storm and you may have an argument. Fast forward to 2011 and everything that RIM does from this point appears to be reactive, and not proactive. As nice as QNX may be (actual performance is yet to be seen), it will be seen as a reaction to IOS and Android, which will may be viewed by the masses as "too little, too late".
    K Bear likes this.
    01-30-11 04:48 PM
    Did you just randomly pull this ...? What exactly are you basing this on?
    The comment was possibly based on the message switching archticture oif QNX. Message are very short so a huge capacity is available from a small processor.

However since any message can do any number of things from calling or runnning an app to invoking a graphics aceleorator or just acknowledging a keypress, it is rather hard to generalize just how much any given processor can handle.

RIM has said that QNX phones will only become viable when dual core processors are available.

Since the processors will become available for all SmartPhones, the OS platform will remain flat with the usual rules of the latest to the market being the most roublesome but being the most exciting. My guess is that this will be RIM.

iOS and Android are out there and working. Both are now established products and have their bounds. WM7 will go the same way but do not eliminate WM7 as a potential winner.

QNX however is toally new and whilst is will probably/maybe run some/most Android apps, will bring a new and refreshing platform to SmartPhones. We should be excited to welcome a new OS to the market which will give us more choice.
    RetroAndreas and Fatoomah like this.
    01-30-11 04:56 PM
    Rewind this back to 2008 and release QNX with the OG Storm and you may have an argument. Fast forward to 2011 and everything that RIM does from this point appears to be reactive, and not proactive. As nice as QNX may be (actual performance is yet to be seen), it will be seen as a reaction to IOS and Android, which will may be viewed by the masses as "too little, too late".
    The issue I see with this kind of thinking is that it really does not matter what RIM does this is what many will continue to say. The problem is that the PB was the WORKING tab at CES yet the Xoom was thought to be the best. This is because it is android point blank period. In this industry there is not a such thing as "to little to late" it's more like "evolve or be forced to evolve", this is what RIM has been forced to do.
    01-30-11 05:17 PM
    Too little, too late? LOL, like there's some sort of finish line on the smartphone/ tablet market....
    01-30-11 05:17 PM
    Doesn't much matter if it is seen as reactive if it's better. Does it?
    01-30-11 05:20 PM
    Doesn't much matter if it is seen as reactive if it's better. Does it?
    Of course it does. Timing is EVERYTHING.
    01-30-11 05:35 PM
    Did you just randomly pull this? What exactly are you basing this on?
    System scalability starts with the operating system. QNX Neutrino, by nature of its very architecture enables systems to scale from tiny embedded devices to some of the highest capacity networking equipment available today.

QNX provides Adaptive Partitioning. With Adaptive Partitioning, system architects can allocate CPU and memory resources to each development team. Development teams are then able to complete their subsystems within their budgets. At system integration, complexities arising from resource contention and conflicting priorities are eliminated. Unlike traditional partitioning schemes, the dynamic nature of Adaptive Partitioning ensures maximum CPU utilization by ensuring that unused CPU cycles from one partition are made available to other partitions should they be able to make use of them.

QNX offers the world’s most comprehensive support for multi-core processors. QNX Neutrino is the only RTOS that offers proven, deployed symmetric multiprocessing capability. Where other OS vendors are struggling to address the new multi-core model, QNX customers have benefited from QNX multi-processing technology for over a decade. QNX for multi-core processors supports both the asymmetric and symmetric multiprocessing models. QNX has gone even further, pioneering bound multi-processing, a technology that spans the asymmetric and symmetric processing models to offer the control and determinism of asymmetric multiprocessing with the simplified programming model and performance benefits of symmetric multiprocessing. QNX Momentics was developed from the ground up with multiprocessing capabilities. The combination of an instrumented kernel and advanced visualization tools provide developers with the ability to quickly and effectively debug and optimize code in a multi-core environment.

This is just a small portion of how scalable QNX is. ...
    01-30-11 05:36 PM
    Too little, too late? LOL, like there's some sort of finish line on the smartphone/ tablet market....
    Of course there is a finish line. That is why no other tablet will EVER touch the iPad when it comes to sales. The iPad has already crossed the finish line. The question is: "Whose coming in second?".
    01-30-11 05:37 PM
97 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD