Tesla Sedan Is Ranked ‘Best Overall’ by Consumer Reports - Bloomberg

General Motors (GM)? Cadillac, with a score of 54, fared worse than any luxury brand. It lost ground mainly because of problems with the CUE infotainment systems in its XTS sedan, the magazine said.

Ford tied for last with Jeep of the 23 ranked brands with an overall score of 50. Dearborn, Michigan-based Ford dropped in the rankings despite having an average road test score of 73, the same as Honda and higher than Toyota. The brand?s reliability was deemed below average, brought down by the magazine?s assessment of the MyFord Touch infotainment system and the automatic transmissions in the Focus and Fiesta sedans.

Infotainment systems made by BlackBerry Ltd. (BBRY)?s QNX were generally easier to use and were more reliable, Fisher said."

----

Cars better, infotainment worse, Consumer Reports says

"But Ford's Microsoft-based Sync system, and the MyFord Touch suite of voice and touch controls based on it, wreck Ford's reliability, CR data show. Ford winds up 22nd, ahead of only Jeep.

"Ford Fusion is a good one to point to," Fisher says. "A very competitive vehicle that looks and drives like a European sports sedan. But a major downfall is a frustrating and buggy control system. We've had a lot of complaints about the systems locking up or rebooting or going blank."

Ford hopes to eliminate that by, eventually, shifting away from a Microsoft-based system to one by BlackBerry's QNX. Good move, Fisher says. BMW and Audi use that with good success."

Posted via CB10
    02-25-14 02:15 PM

Do we know for a fact that Tesla uses QNX? I was never able to confirm this.

Or was that just extraneous and you really wanted to highlight this:

Infotainment systems made by BlackBerry Ltd. (BBRY)?s QNX were generally easier to use and were more reliable, Fisher said."
    02-25-14 02:56 PM
    The first article was mainly about the car rankings, but the part I quoted is related to the fact that some cars lost huge points for poor infotainment systems (like the ford's and cadiallacs), and that the CR reviewer felt QNX was a better system.

The second article gets more directly into car infotainment systems and how many have unresponsive and buggy performance, unlike QNX which the CR reviewer calls 'reliable' and 'easy to use' in comparison.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-14 03:29 PM
    Ford....should know Microsoft Windows is not stable, so what should have they expected?

Posted via CB10
    02-25-14 04:56 PM
    but hey, at least Ford doesn't stick around. Ford's UI and UE on the ICE (in car entertainment experience) is something i'll love to have. I mean, look at other mass-production car manufacturers, I think Ford did very good in differenciating themselves here.
    02-25-14 06:04 PM
    Ford....should know Microsoft Windows is not stable, so what should have they expected?

It was entertaining and gratifying to see a Wall St. analyst speculating on video today that the reason that Ford dropped Microsoft in favor of QNX is probably because Microsoft has struggled to make a compact embedded OS that is reliable. He also mentioned the new low-end Android-based Lumias as another example of this.

Nice change of pace, for once.
    02-25-14 06:17 PM
    Do we know for a fact that Tesla uses QNX? I was never able to confirm this.

Or was that just extraneous and you really wanted to highlight this:
    Telsa UI is based on Linux with a Webkit browser. They are going to replace the native browser with Chrome and could go full Android. Apple has also talked to them about putting IOS into their cars.
    02-25-14 06:21 PM
    Telsa UI is based on Linux with a Webkit browser. They are going to replace the native browser with Chrome and could go full Android. Apple has also talked to them about putting IOS into their cars.
    Tesla should do itself a favour and use QNX system in its cars.
    02-25-14 07:51 PM
    Tesla should do itself a favour and use QNX system in its cars.
    The Model S is a really nice looking car, but no way on earth would I buy a car without any buttons on the dash.
    02-26-14 01:34 AM
    The Model S is a really nice looking car, but no way on earth would I buy a car without any buttons on the dash.
    You will; when all cars are made with no buttons on the dash. I'm sure you will not rather ride a horse.
    Omnitech likes this.
    02-26-14 09:49 AM
    The Tesla is an engineering marvel! Such great distances have been achieved by the cars they produce. I think they are on the right path for an electric car. As for their infotainment system, I don't know if they could use a QNX based system as much of their system is based on their own proprietary software. I'm sure they could use QNX supplied components but I don't think QNX produce a 15 inch touch screen yet.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-14 10:03 AM
    The Tesla is an engineering marvel! Such great distances have been achieved by the cars they produce. I think they are on the right path for an electric car. As for their infotainment system, I don't know if they could use a QNX based system as much of their system is based on their own proprietary software. I'm sure they could use QNX supplied components but I don't think QNX produce a 15 inch touch screen yet.

Posted via CB10
    I'm sure QNX would be able to modify its OS to adapt to the "15 inch touch screen".
    02-26-14 10:11 AM
    Keep in mind that QNX is just the OS, not the UI or interface. There's no mention that the Tesla uses QNX, that's just the title of the article that also happens to mention ICE operating systems too.

You will; when all cars are made with no buttons on the dash. I'm sure you will not rather ride a horse.
    Never underestimate the importance of tactile buttons and knobs in the car for reducing confusion and difficulty while driving. I don't need to take my eyes off the road to find a physical button or knob like I do with a touchscreen.
    02-26-14 11:16 AM
    Keep in mind that QNX is just the OS, not the UI or interface.

QNX has an OS called Neutrino, but their automobile product line does indeed have a UI/interface, the current name for the integrated system is called something like "Car 2" or "Car 3" or something like that.

But since auto manufacturers want to have a unique interface that doesn't look like any other auto manufacturer's interface, that UI is highly customizable. It is based on HTML5.
    02-26-14 03:46 PM
    Linux and Android are free

Posted via CB10
    02-26-14 04:44 PM

Posted via CB10
    QNX can't be that expensive its not a huge revenue source for BB thats for sure.
    02-26-14 04:52 PM

Posted via CB10
    They also crash. Linux based OS are in the process of a slow death.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-14 08:18 PM
    The first generation Ford Sync was generally pretty good - that system was developed with Microsoft. Unfortunately, it's based on a the really old Windows CE OS.

My Ford Touch was developed in house by Ford, on top of the old system. It's a train wreck. Microsoft does not deserve the blame for the FMT fiasco.
    02-26-14 08:37 PM
    Linux based OS are in the process of a slow death.

02-26-14 09:01 PM