Hey everyone,

Just wanted to give you the opportunity to see how impressive QNX really is... Check out the attachment from a third party evaluation of QNX against Windows CE, Linux RT and Android 3. I got it from this site: Dedicated Systems - RTOS
    EVA-2_9-CMP-ARM-v300.pdf

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Also, I've attached the System Architecture guide for QNX... It clears up a lot of misinformation about QNX including the fact that it is NOT Unix-like at all, but just POSIX compliant... Crackberry really needs to do an article to clear up the facts...
    QNX System Architecture.pdf

Enjoy!
    01-03-13 06:45 PM
    A little deep for me to understand but the conclusions seemed very positive. Thank you. I just hope BB10 doesn't turn out to be another "Beta is better". Well, no matter. I bought a Betamax VCR. (It really was better than VHS.) A

nd I'll buy a BB10 hand set when available.
    01-03-13 07:09 PM
    I'm gonna have to bookmark this (from Dedicated Systems) for next time I see a certain person on here lol I actually came across this a long time ago but never bookmarked it
    notnomde likes this.
    01-03-13 07:48 PM
    subscribed
    01-03-13 09:37 PM
    I looked over the tests briefly. Just WOW on QNX performance!
    SDTRMG likes this.
    01-03-13 09:58 PM
    Thanks. Subscribed. I HAD read that QNX wasn't Unix-like but had forgotten. Dummy-me.
    01-03-13 10:12 PM
    World's best RTOS, QNX remained unbeaten in all of those tests.
    01-03-13 11:14 PM
    !QNX! Comparison of QNX, Android, Linux RT and Windows CE7 on ARM Processor-img_00000027.jpg

This one's my favorite, I like the bright colors, especially purple, indicating the horrendous performance of Android. As the report concludes

Finally, our observations of the Android Linux, which diverges from the �vanilla� Linux kernel and uses other C libraries, such as the Bionic library, used in Google Android, are that this OS lacks the features and performance required to guarantee that it meets real-time deadlines. Indeed, Android Linux was developed with other requirements, makes no claims to keeping real-time deadlines, and should be used in the type of environments for which it was intended: smartphones and tablets.

But seriously, this will great the next time some bozo suggests that Android or iOS run anything remotely important in an important piece of machinery like your car.
    01-03-13 11:16 PM
    I wonder if these performances indicate any possible surprises we may see at launch, like what if the Z10/X10 has a built in HDTV receiver/tuner?

Take full advantage of that RTOS. (am I getting ahead of it here, Is BB10 real time, RTOS don't multi-task)

Imagine sitting in the stands at your favorite sporting event, watching replays you don't get on the stadium jumboscreens
    Last edited by SixStringMadness; 01-04-13 at 02:34 PM.
    01-04-13 02:23 PM
    I just hope BB10 doesn't turn out to be another "Beta is better". Well, no matter. I bought a Betamax VCR. (It really was better than VHS.)
    QNX has already been around 18 years longer than Betamax was, so that's a good start. It also hasn't had to sit idle during that time, so it's been improving continually. BB10 will be the latest and greatest.
    01-04-13 02:47 PM
    The Dedicated Systems report really digs into the low level fundamentals of QNX and the other operating systems and shows just what a solid foundation and architecture QNX enables for BB10.
    01-07-13 07:56 AM
    Thanks OP for the reading material!
    01-07-13 08:02 AM
    The Dedicated Systems report really digs into the low level fundamentals of QNX and the other operating systems and shows just what a solid foundation and architecture QNX enables for BB10.
    no kidding, now all we need if for the media and consumers to pull their heads out of their asses and give BB10 a chance because it is a wower and a half
    01-07-13 12:33 PM
    I just have that feeling that what RIM has done with BB10 and the hardware that goes with it, will knock people's socks off......
    01-07-13 02:20 PM
    I just have that feeling that what RIM has done with BB10 and the hardware that goes with it, will knock people's socks off......
    i want more than my socks being knocked off. i want my stripper pants to be knocked off (or stripped off) of me when bb10 is introduced...
    01-07-13 03:04 PM
    there are tens of thousands of businesses that use POS systems running ios or android. Claiming they can't be used professionally is absurd
    03-22-13 05:09 AM
    This is an excellent comeback to any argument surrounding the shortfalls of the Z10.

"I may not be able to run any of the applications that you can on your faster, more popular, better-supported handsets, and that's fine. Because what's important is that *my* handset's OS has a far lower minimum interrupt period than yours!"

Thanks for the article, it certainly makes interesting reading, but it doesn't sell handsets.
    03-22-13 05:30 AM
    there are tens of thousands of businesses that use POS systems running ios or android. Claiming they can't be used professionally is absurd
    False. Claiming that they cannot be used professionally is NOT absurd because professional use is based on efficency and reliability.

Do you work for any of the mentioned companies? I know MANY People who work for companies that use software based on android and ios, and a few who are starting to uses windows tablets... just because they are using it doesn't mean they are using it right or that it is the most efficient solution. Or that the employees don't curse it out consistently

I'm not arguing for or against the use of any particular system... i am just saying that the fact that some systems are currently being used does not correlate to the fact that they are professional grade products.

Have you ever gone behind the counter of a random hardware store? I have seen some systems that look like the owner made it themselves, and remember these are hardware store owners lol. People use what works for them, but mostly it is what they THINK Is best for them. If someone does not know about better option they won't change, this article can shoe them that. If it works that's great, if they want to continue using the other systems that's their choice.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-13 11:09 AM
    FWIW "real time" does not necessary mean fast, it means predictable. The operating system being able to say "what ever operation you ask me to do will never take more than X microseconds" turns out to be pretty important in some scenarios. But the chart shows QNX as being fast too. Looks like a smart move on BlackBerry's part.
    03-22-13 11:25 AM
    To be fair Googles never tried to make any real time OS claims or hype the OS.Its just their delusional cyborg fan girls.Anyway after the phone releases mobile computing aspect of the plan will kick in than we'll see the usage of QNX kick in.

The QNX in our phones are not even in first gear Its not sweating at all.
    03-22-13 03:02 PM
    False. Claiming that they cannot be used professionally is NOT absurd because professional use is based on efficency and reliability.

Do you work for any of the mentioned companies? I know MANY People who work for companies that use software based on android and ios, and a few who are starting to uses windows tablets... just because they are using it doesn't mean they are using it right or that it is the most efficient solution. Or that the employees don't curse it out consistently

I'm not arguing for or against the use of any particular system... i am just saying that the fact that some systems are currently being used does not correlate to the fact that they are professional grade products.

Have you ever gone behind the counter of a random hardware store? I have seen some systems that look like the owner made it themselves, and remember these are hardware store owners lol. People use what works for them, but mostly it is what they THINK Is best for them. If someone does not know about better option they won't change, this article can shoe them that. If it works that's great, if they want to continue using the other systems that's their choice.

Posted via CB10
    Here is a short list of retailers that have committed to large quantities of iOS devices to be specifically used during the retail selling process:

Gap/Old Navy
    Lowes
    PacSun
    Ann Taylor
    Urban Outfitters
    Nordstrorms
    JC Penny
    Gucci
    Tiffany and Company
    H&M
    Victoria’s Secret
    Sephora
    Mercedes-Benz
    BMW
    Porche
    TGI Fridays
    Outback Stakehouse
    Guitar Center

so the "nuh uh" response fails a bit. yes it's a reliable platform for business, this list is a couple years old too. ios and android are regularly replacing $30,000/yr POS systems with options that are nearly free.
    NCR, the largest POS systems technology firm on the planet has also launched iOS systems. these companies wouldn't get growing and spreading if their products were not reliable. the bottom line is that they ARE reliable and allow a software/hardware developer to offer a wider range of upgradable products and platforms for their business without the headache of technicians and expensive purchases.

nordstram even announced they have gotten a boost in sales for offering iOS as a platform to purchase on
    source
    03-22-13 03:14 PM
    Thanks for the info.

I did find this article a while back about a company already planning on providing hi-def video straight to BB10 and taking advantage of it's capabilities. A few services like this would really blow people away.

INSIDE Secure delivers high-def video to BlackBerry 10 devices | Mobile content industry news | Mobile Entertainment
    03-22-13 03:19 PM