I am college student that will be starting a Computer and Network Consulting business in early 2015. Before doing so, I wanted to switch networks and upgrade from my current phone: a 9900. The phone will be the centre of my operations with my computers used for backup and recovery. My budget is <=$300 CAD.

Background
    I have used Android powered devices since 2010. I owned a Motorola Milestone, a HTC Desire HD, a Sony Xperia X10, a Sony Xperia Ray, and a Samsung Galaxy Nexus. Each and every one of them have been opened up and worked on at some point by myself. I have used an 8900 (in 2009), a Q5, a Z10, and a Z30 for several minutes each. My got into BlackBerry with the 9900 I currently own.

Findings
    Work will be conducted between both email and phone calls each day. Pictures will also be captured and shown or sent to clients. The phone will also be on an AWS network which doesn't have the best coverage in the areas I'll be in. Normal days tend to be 16-18 hour days with little time for proper "top-ups".

Options
    Q10
    Pros
    - Physical keyboard - Type accurately, quicker navigation(?)
    - Screen - 328 PPI, more legible text
    - Size - One-handed use, more pocketable
    - Removable battery - Can swap batteries if need be
    Cons
    - Smaller screen - Not the best for reading a lot of text
    - Older hardware - May not perform as well as newer BlackBerries when running 10.3.1
    - Battery - Won't run as long as the Classic or Z30
    - Physical keyboard - prone to hypersensitivity and double-typing that my 9900 has (can be fixed)

Z30
    Pros
    - Large screen - Useful for reading a lot of text or viewing various media
    - Hardware - More power for heavier applications, faster navigation(?), more microphones, more speakers (better speakerphone)
    - Connectivity - Miracast, USB-OTG
    - Size - Very comfortable for two-handed use
    - Battery - All day battery life and then some
    Cons
    - Screen - 295 PPI, not as sharp as Q10
    - Size - One-handed use is nigh-impossible, glass make crack in a fall
    - Non-removable battery - When it's dead, it's dead
    - Lack of physical keyboard - Slower typing and navigation(?)

The reason for laying this out there and asking is because I have found the Q10 and Z30 for nearly the same amount. Once I replace the battery from the Q10, the cost of the phones would be the same. The listings for them are as follows:
    Q10 unlocked BLACKBERRY Q10 | cell phones | City of Toronto | Kijiji
    Z30 New Blackberry Z30 - Unlocked | electronics | City of Toronto | Kijiji

So which do you feel I should get: a Q10 or a Z30?

P.S.: I have looked into the Classic and the Passport but cannot afford either on my budget.
    Last edited by Soul_Est; 12-27-14 at 01:29 AM.
    12-26-14 10:18 PM
    For my personal phone, I went from a Pearl 8820 to a Bold 9780 to z10 and now z30.

I love the deep blacks, stunning sound quality (for a phone) of the Z30. The battery life is also so much better than 95%. If you've used touch screen androids then you're already going to be used to typing on a glass screen.

The Q10 also has a fantastic battery from observations of 3 friends of mine who own one. I do miss the tactile feedback of a real keyboard and could type long emails with minimal view of the keyboard, only to make special characters.

So weigh in if you need a keyboard or screen real estate... however I don't think you could go wrong with either phone.

Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3247
    Soul_Est likes this.
    12-26-14 10:26 PM
    Have you considered the new BlackBerry Classic?
    Slightly larger screen, tool belt that you have been used to and a qwerty keyboard with slightly larger keys.

Posted via CB10
    GreenCopperz and Soul_Est like this.
    12-26-14 10:26 PM
    Also reference your other hardware concern, my Z10 runs the latest leaked 10.3 os smoothly.

Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3247
    Soul_Est likes this.
    12-26-14 10:34 PM
    I am college student that will be starting a Computer and Network Consulting business in early 2015. Before doing so, I wanted to switch networks and upgrade from my current phone: a 9900. The phone will be the centre of my operations with my computers used for backup and recovery.

Background
    I have used Android powered devices since 2010. I owned a Motorola Milestone, a HTC Desire HD, a Sony Xperia X10, a Sony Xperia Ray, and a Samsung Galaxy Nexus. Each and every one of them have been opened up and worked on at some point by myself. I have used an 8900 (in 2009), a Q5, a Z10, and a Z30 for several minutes each. My got into BlackBerry with the 9900 I currently own.

Findings
    Work will be conducted between both email and phone calls each day. Pictures will also be captured and shown or sent to clients. The phone will also be on an AWS network which doesn't have the best coverage in the areas I'll be in. Normal days tend to be 16-18 hour days with little time for proper "top-ups".

Options
    Q10
    Pros
    - Physical keyboard - Type accurately, quicker navigation(?)
    - Screen - 328 PPI, more legible text
    - Size - One-handed use, more pocketable
    - Removable battery - Can swap batteries if need be
    Cons
    - Smaller screen - Not the best for reading a lot of text
    - Older hardware - May not perform as well as newer BlackBerries when running 10.3.1
    - Battery - Won't run as long as the Classic or Z30
    - Physical keyboard - prone to hypersensitivity and double-typing that my 9900 has (can be fixed)

Z30
    Pros
    - Large screen - Useful for reading a lot of text or viewing various media
    - Hardware - More power for heavier applications, faster navigation(?), more microphones, more speakers (better speakerphone)
    - Connectivity - Miracast, USB-OTG
    - Size - Very comfortable for two-handed use
    - Battery - All day battery life and then some
    Cons
    - Screen - 295 PPI, not as sharp as Q10
    - Size - One-handed use is nigh-impossible, glass make crack in a fall
    - Non-removable battery - When it's dead, it's dead
    - Lack of physical keyboard - Slower typing and navigation(?)

The reason for laying this out there and asking is because I have found the Q10 and Z30 for nearly the same amount. Once I replace the battery from the Q10, the cost of the phones would be the same. The listings for them are as follows:
    Q10 unlocked BLACKBERRY Q10 | cell phones | City of Toronto | Kijiji
    Z30 New Blackberry Z30 - Unlocked | electronics | City of Toronto | Kijiji

So which do you feel I should get: a Q10 or a Z30?

P.S.: If the thread is better posted in the BlackBerry 10 OS forums, please feel free the move it there.
    You can buy a brand new unlocked z30 from shopblackberry this week for the same price advertised in the kijiji ad

Posted via CB10
    Soul_Est likes this.
    12-26-14 10:35 PM
    Looks like you've thought through the pros and cons quite well. My choice would be the Z30, but you need to make the choice yourself. Not much more we can offer than personal opinion.
    Soul_Est likes this.
    12-26-14 10:36 PM
    I use the Z30 as my work phone... I just upgraded from using Z10 for the last 1.5yrs. I like it much better - slightly bigger and heavier than Z10, but much better (longer ) battery. I can actually leave apps open, and use wi-fi without worrying about the battery lasting until dinner time.

The virtual keyboard takes a few weeks to adjust to, (and it learns your typing habbits) but you'll soon be a faster typist than with the physical keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    Soul_Est likes this.
    12-26-14 10:39 PM
    Just to let you know I have had the z10, q10, and now a z30.
    This is my idea of a good combination.
    Wile all the phones are very good the two that I really like are the q10 and z30 my problem with the z30 is the size wile nice for doing a lot of things I find it just too big for comfortable carrying around.
    The q10 is just the right size for the majority the things I need a phone to do, the size makes for easy carrying the speed of one handed use is awesome you can pull it out of your pocket take a note and put it back your pocket and move on with what you're doing it just works.
    So my idea of the best combination since we have blackberry blend now is to have the q10 for my phone and a tablet for when you need the big screen. which in your case sounds like would work better if you need to show clients pictures or documents because Evan though the z30 is big it's really not big enough for showing clients information.
    That's just my opinion.
    Glad luck with your decision.

Posted via CB10
    Soul_Est likes this.
    12-26-14 11:17 PM
    also look at the classic.....I have Z 30 and Classic...I find the screen of the Classic brighter, easy to read
    Soul_Est likes this.
    12-26-14 11:30 PM
    Sorry about the wall of text.
    Have you considered the new BlackBerry Classic?
    Slightly larger screen, tool belt that you have been used to and a qwerty keyboard with slightly larger keys.

Posted via CB10
    I have considered the Classic but the cost is too high for me. I'll be bootstrapping my business and will need to turn a profit quickly.
    Also reference your other hardware concern, my Z10 runs the latest leaked 10.3 os smoothly.

Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3247
    Thank you for clearing that up for me. I really appreciate it.
    You can buy a brand new unlocked z30 from shopblackberry this week for the same price advertised in the kijiji ad

Posted via CB10
    I could but only in white and with an added shipping cost. While not that important (function over form), I've always preferred black for the bezel as it doesn't influence my vision to blowing out certain colours in the display (happened with my Apple MacBook).
    Looks like you've thought through the pros and cons quite well. My choice would be the Z30, but you need to make the choice yourself. Not much more we can offer than personal opinion.
    Thank you for the compliment and I understand.
    I use the Z30 as my work phone... I just upgraded from using Z10 for the last 1.5yrs. I like it much better - slightly bigger and heavier than Z10, but much better (longer ) battery. I can actually leave apps open, and use wi-fi without worrying about the battery lasting until dinner time.

The virtual keyboard takes a few weeks to adjust to, (and it learns your typing habbits) but you'll soon be a faster typist than with the physical keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    I figured that I may type faster on the Z30, but only as I cannot yet touch type on my 9900. I am definitely considering the Z30 as the virtual keyboard would allow me to type in layouts used for other languages.
    Just to let you know I have had the z10, q10, and now a z30.
    This is my idea of a good combination.
    Wile all the phones are very good the two that I really like are the q10 and z30 my problem with the z30 is the size wile nice for doing a lot of things I find it just too big for comfortable carrying around.
    The q10 is just the right size for the majority the things I need a phone to do, the size makes for easy carrying the speed of one handed use is awesome you can pull it out of your pocket take a note and put it back your pocket and move on with what you're doing it just works.
    So my idea of the best combination since we have blackberry blend now is to have the q10 for my phone and a tablet for when you need the big screen. which in your case sounds like would work better if you need to show clients pictures or documents because Evan though the z30 is big it's really not big enough for showing clients information.
    That's just my opinion.
    Glad luck with your decision.

Posted via CB10
    That is a good idea. I do have a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 that I use for note taking, drawing, gaming, and media consumption. I could put it to use for work. Thank you for the suggestion.
    also look at the classic.....I have Z 30 and Classic...I find the screen of the Classic brighter, easy to read
    I did but the cost unfortunately is above my budget.
    12-26-14 11:53 PM
    I'd go with a Classic or Passport over the Q10. To me, Z30 is perfect besides screen brightness and non replaceable battery. Hopefully the brightness is improved on 10.3.1.

I type faster on BlackBerry 10 virtual keyboard than physical. So, I'd go to with Z30 for those reasons, and Z30 battery last forever and Q10 screen is too small for my taste.

Posted via CB10
    Soul_Est likes this.
    12-27-14 12:02 AM
    Have both Q10 & Z30. Prefer Z30, typing faster, auto correction especially when writing long Documents. Bigger screen easier to Cut & Paste.

Posted via CB10
    Soul_Est likes this.
    12-27-14 12:08 AM
    Funny thing is, I purchased a Q10 today and about to purchase a Z30 tonight. I got the Q10 for a very low price, and with the deal on the Z30, I don't want to pass it up. I guess I can't really tell you which one I prefer, as I don't have both yet. But, my plans are to keep both the Q10 and Z30.

But, if I had to chose for you, I'd go with the Z30 -- based off your needs.
    Last edited by nfl46; 12-27-14 at 01:02 AM.
    Soul_Est likes this.
    12-27-14 12:35 AM
    Classic.

PasaportePilipinasSQW100-1/10.3.1.1154
    12-27-14 12:59 AM
    I'd go with a Classic or Passport over the Q10. To me, Z30 is perfect besides screen brightness and non replaceable battery. Hopefully the brightness is improved on 10.3.1.

I type faster on BlackBerry 10 virtual keyboard than physical. So, I'd go to with Z30 for those reasons, and Z30 battery last forever and Q10 screen is too small for my taste.

Posted via CB10
    Coming from the Xperia Ray (3.3") and 9900 (2.8"), it'll take some time to adjust to the Z30.
    Have both Q10 & Z30. Prefer Z30, typing faster, auto correction especially when writing long Documents. Bigger screen easier to Cut & Paste.

Posted via CB10
    Good point on the typing of long documents. I will keep that in mind.
    Funny thing is, I purchased a Q10 today and about to purchase a Z30 tonight. I got the Q10 for a very low price, and with the deal on the Z30, I don't want to pass it up. I guess I can't really tell you which one I prefer, as I don't have both yet. But, my plans are to keep both the Q10 and Z30.

But, if I had to chose for you, I'd go with the Z30 -- based off your needs.
    Thank you for the suggestion. I look forward to seeing your thoughts on the Q10 vs. the Z30.
    Classic.

PasaportePilipinasSQW100-1/10.3.1.1154
    Cannot afford on my budget. Sorry!

Thank you all so much for your replies to my questions so far.

One thing I have forgotten to ask those of you that have owned the Z10 or Q10 before the Z30, Classic, or Passport is how is sound quality during phone calls? On my 9900, I have the Phone Call Audio set to Boost Bass as my voice is rather deep. This allows me to talk at a lower volume, keeping the conversation more private and preventing me from disturbing others. People on the other end usually have no issue hearing me unless I talk too quietly.
    Last edited by Soul_Est; 12-27-14 at 03:51 AM.
    12-27-14 01:44 AM
    I have both. For me the Q10 feels more like a businessphone. The 4 row QWERTY Keyboard is a dream! Without the toolbelt the Q10 looks fresh and modern compared to the Classic.
    Maybe you gonna see what I mean on some businessmeetings . The Q10 looks and is a workhorse. You see instantly thats a BlackBerry! The Z30 maybe too, but it looks like all the other phones.
    The Q10 got a removable battery for easy swaps when you are on a businesstrip. Thats perfect.
    I've shown pictures to clients on my Q10 without a problem. Sure the Z30 is bigger, but with a nonremovable battery and bigger can be an issue, too.
    For me the Q10 is a perfect businesstool! Buy a spare batterypack and you are good to go
    Soul_Est likes this.
    12-27-14 04:16 AM
    Starting out a business eh? Well first things first. Good luck, I hope it goes well for you.

A couple of things to consider. First, will you be using your device as a main communication tool or will your desktop/laptop be your main way of connecting with your clients? And second, are you an accomplished typist?

The reason I ask these questions is because typing accuracy and professional presentations are important elements in developing a solid business reputation. I've used consultants for years and will not hire one who sends me emails or other correspondence with typing errors, poor spelling and grammar. So my advice is to choose the device that you feel gives you the best chance to present yourself positively to your clients.

And just a question. Why not stay with the device you are currently using until you generate enough revenue to purchase a Passport or a Classic? They are probably the best business choices BlackBerry currently has to offer.

Posted via CB10
    Soul_Est likes this.
    12-27-14 05:54 AM
    I will go for the Z30. Bigger screen and good battery life. If you are going to be reading document and showing them around, the Z30 is the better option
    I have both the Q10 and Z30. The q10 keyboard is the obvious plus!

Posted via CB10
    Soul_Est likes this.
    12-27-14 06:49 AM
    Q10. I have nothing more to say.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-14 06:54 AM
    I would chose the Z30,but would refer you to get the classic in my opinion since you don't currently own the z30 and giving that you did your research and all the choice ultimate boils down to you.

Send from the amazing powers of the  Z30
    12-27-14 06:55 AM
    I would choose the Q10. I had the Z10 for over a year and a half. The VKB is great but nothing like the speed and accuracy of the PKB on the Q10. I meet with clients and sometimes need to enter notes into my phone and the Q10 is more accurate and I can also keep some eye contact with the client while typing on the keyboard unlike the VKB. The size is great when I am juggling items in my hands. And I have used the screen to show pictures with no problems.

Speaker phone quality on the Q10 is better too.

Good luck!

Posted via Q10 with 1154
    Soul_Est likes this.
    12-27-14 08:51 AM
    Starting out a business eh? Well first things first. Good luck, I hope it goes well for you.

A couple of things to consider. First, will you be using your device as a main communication tool or will your desktop/laptop be your main way of connecting with your clients? And second, are you an accomplished typist?

The reason I ask these questions is because typing accuracy and professional presentations are important elements in developing a solid business reputation. I've used consultants for years and will not hire one who sends me emails or other correspondence with typing errors, poor spelling and grammar. So my advice is to choose the device that you feel gives you the best chance to present yourself positively to your clients.

And just a question. Why not stay with the device you are currently using until you generate enough revenue to purchase a Passport or a Classic? They are probably the best business choices BlackBerry currently has to offer.

Posted via CB10
    what he said make a lot of sens^^^^^^^^
    Soul_Est likes this.
    12-27-14 01:51 PM
    Thank you all for sharing your viewpoints.
    I have both. For me the Q10 feels more like a businessphone. The 4 row QWERTY Keyboard is a dream! Without the toolbelt the Q10 looks fresh and modern compared to the Classic.
    Maybe you gonna see what I mean on some businessmeetings . The Q10 looks and is a workhorse. You see instantly thats a BlackBerry! The Z30 maybe too, but it looks like all the other phones.
    The Q10 got a removable battery for easy swaps when you are on a businesstrip. Thats perfect.
    I've shown pictures to clients on my Q10 without a problem. Sure the Z30 is bigger, but with a nonremovable battery and bigger can be an issue, too.
    For me the Q10 is a perfect businesstool! Buy a spare batterypack and you are good to go
    I did handle a Q10 today. It feels very good in hand and the keyboard is in a different league compared to my 9900.

Posted via CB10
    The phone will be my main communication. I am essentially doing what I tried doing back in 2010 with the Motorola Milestone: run all communication from the phone and leave the computer (mostly) behind. I am not an accomplished typist yet but I am working on it.
    Staying with my current device can be bad if I am not cautious. The plan that I am currently on offers no unlimited minutes until after 5 PM and only 50 MB of data. Going over incurs heavy penalties. I am switching carriers for a better plan but I need a phone supporting that carrier's AWS network.
    I will go for the Z30. Bigger screen and good battery life. If you are going to be reading document and showing them around, the Z30 is the better option
    I have both the Q10 and Z30. The q10 keyboard is the obvious plus!

Posted via CB10
    I agree on both your points.
    Q10. I have nothing more to say.

Posted via CB10
    That is what I was thinking before I tried out the newer phones.
    I would chose the Z30,but would refer you to get the classic in my opinion since you don't currently own the z30 and giving that you did your research and all the choice ultimate boils down to you.

Send from the amazing powers of the  Z30
    Thank you for your viewpoint. I really appreciate it.
    I would choose the Q10. I had the Z10 for over a year and a half. The VKB is great but nothing like the speed and accuracy of the PKB on the Q10. I meet with clients and sometimes need to enter notes into my phone and the Q10 is more accurate and I can also keep some eye contact with the client while typing on the keyboard unlike the VKB. The size is great when I am juggling items in my hands. And I have used the screen to show pictures with no problems.

Speaker phone quality on the Q10 is better too.

Good luck!

Posted via Q10 with 1154
    I will definitely keep that in mind. Thank you.
    what he said make a lot of sens^^^^^^^^
    Yes it definitely does.

I should have further clarified my reasons for upgrading to a new phone. Sorry about that. The carrier that I am currently with (Virgin Mobile) gives me:
    - 100 anytime minutes
    - Unlimited evenings (5 PM - 7 AM) and weekends (after 5 PM)
    - Unlimited text messaging
    - 50 MB of data
    - Voicemail
    After a BYOD discount of 10% and taxes of 13%, I pay $36.05 CAD a month.

The carrier I want to switch to (WIND Mobile) could give me:
    - Unlimited anytime minutes
    - Unlimited text messaging
    - Unlimited data
    - Voicemail
    After taxes of 13%, I would pay $45.19 CAD a month.

To get that same plan from Virgin Mobile, I would be paying $96.82 CAD a month! I would be looking at an approximate savings of $619.56 a year. That can go back into the business, pay for school, or save for a rainy day.

I had the chance to check out a Passport, a Z30, a Classic, and a Q10 at the Rogers store in my area. My eyes lit up and my wallet burst out in tears . The Passport feels every ounce of what everyone has been saying it is and runs like a dream. The Z30 was not powered on but feels very nice in my hands. The Classic feels like a much improved 9900. The Q10 feels like an evolved 9900. I guess the saying around Head-Fi is applicable here as well, "Sorry about your wallet.". I am still deciding on what to do, however I have a better idea of how each phone feels (Q10, Z30, Classic) or operates (Passport).
    12-27-14 03:56 PM
    Bought the Q10 a few weeks ago, love the keyboard (even better than the bold series), however, missed the navigation keys (still have to use the touchscreen for these functions - multistep vs. single keystroke). I don't know of any other manufacturer who can surpass BB physical keyboards.

Alas, biggest downfall is the screen size (3.1 in.) - even though I'm considered middle aged, I have a problem reading text, web-pages, etc. on this unit - even with some of the native applications (luckily can use one required Android application on this unit) have issues with font size, placements, etc. (pampered with larger Android screen units). There is no point on using the "Zoom" function to view your work.

Just got the Z30 (-5 version, will work on ATT HSDPA+ no issues, won't use T-mobile, which can be used on the LTE network - limited coverage in areas where I have to work), screen size is perfect & the "virtual" keyboard is one of the better keyboards out there - you have to get used to.

Again, this is "Depends" situation - if you are planning on using this for e-mails, SMS, etc. with extensive keyboard activity, then the Q10 is for you. If you use various GUI based inter-active applications (re: web-pages, etc.), then the Z30 would be the better fit.

As a side note, once the Passport drops in price, I might get this unit (smart phones are becoming like the razor blade model - sell cheap hardware, nail them on software and services) when the prices drop below 3 bills.
    01-04-15 07:31 PM