Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Benjamin Fast
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Q10 Reboot

So, my Q10 reboots on a regular basis. This reboot is always happens when the phone is bumped or jostled. Sometimes the phone will even reboot when it is gently placed on a hard surface. This is getting really irritating, especially considering that this phone is designed efficiency and reliability. I am embarrassed to let people see my phone for fear off them perceiving it as a piece of crap, aas it will inevitably reboot when they put the phone down.

Is this a common occurance?

Posted via CB10
    Retired CrackBerry Ambassador

Global Posts
    20,174 Global Posts
    PIN
    nahhhhh.....

Hi and welcome to Crackberry!

I haven't found any problems with my Q10. However, I do remember this thread from a couple of days ago.

Q10 build quality issues
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and good with ketchup
    "When debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser" - Socrates
    iMore Ambassador
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    2BEF400E

It's the battery. It can be a little loose.

I take a Post-It note and fold it a couple times and put it between the battery and battery cover. Makes it tight and I haven't had any issue since.

Posted via CB10
    Sean

Twitter: @SeanKelleher
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    2BEF400E

Quote Originally Posted by SK122387 View Post

I take a Post-It note and fold it a couple times and put it between the battery and battery cover. Makes it tight and I haven't had any issue since.

Also, this is only on my black Q10. My mom's black Q10 is fine, and so are my white Q10s.

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10

^^
    I have no idea how I quoted myself
    Sean

Twitter: @SeanKelleher
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Thanks,

I will give that a try. It is too bad that a brand new $700 phone needs to be fixed with such hackneyed measures.

Posted via CB10
    ajst222 likes this.
    CrackBerry User

My sister's Q10 does as well I will tell her how to stop it from happening. Thanks.

Converting people to BlackBerry & BBM since 2010
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    330e6cee

My Q10 was rebooting too. My back cover was loose not on properly. I removed the back, put it back on hasn't rebooted since. Has to be 3 months ago.

Posted via CB10
    Posted from my white Blackberry Passport
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Fast View Post
    Thanks,

I will give that a try. It is too bad that a brand new $700 phone needs to be fixed with such hackneyed measures.

Posted via CB10
    Get a new one, should be under warranty, mine is fine!

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry User

No issues here.

Posted via CB10
    Posted via Black and red Q10 or 64gb Playbook, retired
    Torch and awaiting slider.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,573 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SK122387 View Post

Posted via CB10
    Thx for the tip
    In the past few weeks I have had my Q10 reboot 3 times when I placed it down (slightly roughly) on a hard surface. After reading this thread I have opened & closed my battery door. If it happens again, I will try your Post-it trick

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Fast View Post
    So, my Q10 reboots on a regular basis. This reboot is always happens when the phone is bumped or jostled. Sometimes the phone will even reboot when it is gently placed on a hard surface. This is getting really irritating, especially considering that this phone is designed efficiency and reliability. I am embarrassed to let people see my phone for fear off them perceiving it as a piece of crap, aas it will inevitably reboot when they put the phone down.

Is this a common occurance?

Posted via CB10
    I investigated this thoroughly and have come up with the exact fix.

On some devices there is a little play between the top of the battery and the case. When impacted, the battery can move the 1/2mm or so and lose contact with the bottom of the battery and the contacts, causing the reboot. Putting a post it note on the battery case as mentioned above can add some friction to help remedy it, but the better solution is to put a small strip of screen cover(perfect thickness) or tape(i used one a bit thicker than scotch tape) either on the top side of the battery(opposite side of the contacts) or the top of the battery compartment(the 1/8th inch side opposite of the contacts) Either will solve the problem 100%. I believe the issue is more to do with the battery than the phone, i have one OEM battery that is a tiny bit taller than the other and that battery has no problems. Some batteries are just slightly out of spec. The batteries i have that are out of spec has the "cell made in Korea and further processed in china". Surprise Surprise.

Good luck.
    CrackBerry User

I had the battery issue, placed a folded business card between the battery and the back cover. That fixed the problem. Them one month later every time I would tap the headphone jack ever so lightly, the phone would re boot. Sent it off for warranty and got a new device. No problems at all anymore at this time.

Posted via CB10