Can someone please describe in detail what the difference is between Push and ActiveSync? Curious about battery life differences, bandwidth, functionality etc....

Thanks
    02-02-09 04:24 PM
    Anyone?
    02-02-09 06:30 PM
    With a blackberry all of you e-mail is pushed instantly to your device and notified when you get an e-mail. Since this is all done by external RIM servers, it does not affect your battery life. With ActiveSync or an iphone you must have your device check for e-mail at a certain time interval or just manually when you want to check for e-mail, which can waste battery life because there is no external server that is checking your e-mail for you.
    02-02-09 07:56 PM
    Exchange Server Blog: Blackberry Vs ActiveSync - The WAR is ON !!!!

EDIT: My apologies if that doesn't really answer your question, I didn't actually read the article. I plan on going back later and checking it out, though.
    02-02-09 08:07 PM
    From my experiencing, having both devices:

push on blackberry will push any email account you have, for the most part-- gmail, hotmail, yahoo, anything.

Activesync on Apple is only for people/companies who are running an exchange email server. As of today, you CANNOT get all email accounts to push to an iPhone without either 1. having a corporate style exchange email server with activesync setup, 2. you have an apple paid mobileme account 3. you use yahoo.

If you're looking at this from a server perspective, I've not heard that there is any specific data overhead difference in the "active pinging" that happens as far as monitoring for a push.

The way that the email arrives on the phone appears just the same to the user in either situation.

That may have also not answered your question. More specific questions after all that?
    02-02-09 08:27 PM
    Another difference is that activesync "syncs" your messages. You will see on your mobile device whatever is in your mailbox. BB pushes once and only once. Without resetting the BB, once it is pushed, it will not push again.

I use my inbox as a pending to do list. When I first set up my BB, I could only get the last 14 days of messages, With some other installs and resets, I can't guarantee that I will have a 'mirror image' any more.
    02-02-09 08:37 PM
    Another difference is that activesync "syncs" your messages.
    Good point. On the iPhone, you have the option to sync 1 day, 3 days, 1 week, 2 weeks, 1 month or unlimited.

As well, I don't know if this ability is due to the activesync technology or just the OS functionality but you can choose what you sync-- email only, calendar only, contacts only, or any combination or all of those.
    02-03-09 08:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD